James Squire Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm finally going to do this porter recipe by jayse. I ve got all the ingredients. I.m doing this one with the choc malt and DME.
I really like the JS one so I will probably do a few different recipes over winter to try and clone it. Now if that starter would only hurry up i might get stuck into it tomorrow.

cheers

Just reviving an old thread. I made up Jayses recipe today, smells bloody beaut going into the fermenter - when i took an OG (1.056) it smelt so good i almost drank it.
I put it down with an WPL004 Irish Ale yeast.
Just wondering what schedule for primary / secondary / cc that other have used, and what it has turned out like.

jgriffin,
I made this in late March. I was a bit all over the place after putting this in primary but according to my notes i had this 2 weeks in primary, 1 in secondary and at least 3 weeks in CC. It may have been 4 weeks in CC. I CC'd more because I had no choice. I couldnt concetrate on brewing as i had all other stuff going on so i just chucked it in the fridge after 1 week in secondary so I wouldn't lose the brew .
I am very happy with the end result as this was the first time I used any grain in a brew. Temp was around 22 24c. I have about 10 Grolsh bottles left that I am lovingly nuturing but they wont last too long.
I used the choc malt only and DME instead of liquid.
I talk about the same recipe in this thread.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...s+squire+porter

cheers

Never noticed your reply, thanks for the Johnno.

This is probably the best beer i have ever made, it's only two weeks old, but it tastes good enough to keg. I even gave a (warm, flat) taste to the other half and she likes it too.

My Porter has been bottled for 2 weeks now. I sampled a bottle on the weekend and it was very nice, even though it had no head. :angry: (yet) The recipe was-

- Morgans Royal Oak Amber 1.7kg's
- Amber malt 1.5kg's
- 500 grams dry light malt powder
- 300 grams Dextrose
- 350 grams choc malt (600 ubc)
- 150 grams black malt (1100 ubc)
- 20 grams Willamette
- 50 grams Roast Barley

All primed with 130grams of dextrose for 22.5 litres

I am sure in a bout 6 months when the carbonation has come up and the beer matures a bit it will be even better. :D

Being a dark beer fan. I will be making another porter style this weekend.
I will probably use the Irish Ale 1084.
At least Ive got all week to put a recipe together.

cheers

Back