James Squire - Porter. What A Cracker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
In my effort to try some new beers i stumbled upon the JS. Porter. WOW what a drop. Is it just me or does this taste like a real classy Guiness/Stout. What do u guys think of this one?
I think it is the nicest beer i ever had. I just need to find a (extract + hops) recipe to copy it now. Has anyone any recipes?

brew the msb deep roast ale. loved it after only three weeks in the bottle. although carbonation was a little lacking but hardly a problem.

Well, I am underwhelmed by the MS Porter

The Guildford Porter sometimes available here is an amazing beer (when fresh)

Secret to brewing what is now called a porter, 450g choc malt, 50g roast barley

Make it a decent beer, 1075+. It is meant to be aged b4 drinking.

Real Porters used to be made out of brown malt and amber malt!

Jovial Monk

although some dont rate the JS porter i like it alot! i think its nice and easy drinking and somewhat different

true to style...? i dunno but nor do i care its a nice drink :) mmm porter

IMHO...it is closer to a Dark Lager than a Porter...

It is OK....prefer their IPA followed by the Strong Ale....

I like the Strong Ale!

Todays Porters lend themselves well to experimentation. Try some of these variations on a theme:

Rye or wheat Porter: use roast (choc) rye or wheat, better still do a minimash of 500g flaked rye/wheastand 1K pale malt . Can also add crystal rye/wheat

Smoked: to either a plain or rye/wheat porter mash 250g smoked malt

Coffee/cocoa: 1 cup very strong good black coffee or 6 tablespoons quality dark cocoa added to boil (make up the cocoa with some cold water, mix to a paste, gradually add more and more wort and when all dissolved ad back to boil

Slightly historical: mash 2 parts each brown and amber malt with 5 parts pale malt. This will give the porter some nice brown malt bite. Porter used to be made from 100% brown malt but as brewers got to realise that pale gave more extract more and more pale malt was added to mashtun. Todays brown and amber are non-diastatic, they must be mashed with pale

Oats. Touch of oats will make the Porter nice and smooth

Jovial Monk

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
Well, I am underwhelmed by the MS Porter

The Guildford Porter sometimes available here is an amazing beer (when fresh)
Hmmm,

I have had two bottles of Guildford Porter made in WA by that brewery that closed down in Guildford last year. It was crap. Strong aniseed taste. Cloying sweetness. Totally lacking in class. Don't know if it is the same one JM, but if it is, I gotta disagree.

And I reckon the JS porter is great. Like a few have said, not true to style, but isn't that pretty common with porters these days? Wide interpretation of the style. Nothing like the Taddy Porter frinstance, and like GMK says it is more of a dark lager, but a pretty yummy beer. I also liked that Boag Honey Porter.

I've had a couple Squire porters, I never really liked it much. I think it needs more authority.

I bought a couple of 6 packs the other day at BWS, one six pack of JS Porter, and one of Pikes Oakbank Beer.

To me, the JS Porter tasted like southwark old stout, and personally I wasnt very impressed with it. 5 bottles are still in my fridge after a week, and thats rare.

The Pikes Oakbank beer on the other hand, was fantastic, and has a great finish. This and LCPA are definately going to be my regular drinkers in the future other then homebrew. Currently no pikes left, next purchase will have to be a slab.

pr1me,
yeah love the pikes beer, we actually get that all the way up here in darwin.

Jovial_Monk.,
i put vanilla pods in with my porter at the moment and it gives it a nice mellow taste. very yummy indeed. and i also load up on the choccie malt, and put in a smidge of roast malt. glad i'm on the right track

(can't be that bad, i've got a couple of 2nds at local shows for it :) )

Pr1me, if you want to get rid of that porter :) give them to me mmm i like it a lot - i agree is not a porter as such but as a dark liquid that is drinkable i find it nice :)

Well I like the JS Porter as well
Also like the JS Amber Ale

That's peoples tastes for ya ! :ph34r:

Ben said:
Pr1me, if you want to get rid of that porter :) give them to me mmm i like it a lot - i agree is not a porter as such but as a dark liquid that is drinkable i find it nice :)
LOL melbourne is a bit out of my way for a drop off, but i'm sure the porter will get a good workout on the bbq marinating some onions :D

Deebee
Don't know if its true, but got the impression from posts on one of the digests that Inchant was an extract brewery, not grain?, which might explain some of the residual sweetness in the Guildford Porter, and also explain why they went out of business. Mind you if you ever went there to the Rose and Crown and experienced the appalling service you wouldnt have given them long.

I hasten to add for PoMos peace of mind that with good yeast management extract brews arent necessarily sweet, but it would be an expensive way to run a brewery.

I have visited Inchant Brewery when i was posted to WA...

They do use some grains....

I liked most of their beers - pity they went under...

I agree with GMK in that JS Porter is more like a Bock in it's malt profile, so it is not to style. However, it is one of my favourite Australian beers. I went to a Chuck Hahn dinner recently and he matched the porter with a rich vanilla bean ice cream with strawberry coulis. This was one of the best gastronomical experiences I've had in a long time (this may be due to the other 6 JS and Hahn beers I had prior to the porter!) - it tasted like chocolate mud cake and vanilla ice cream.

SJW, as far as brewing it, I did the ESB Fresh Wort Bock (15L - don't water it down) with the Whitelabs Marzen/Oktoberfest liquid yeast and it was a beautiful drop that tasted very similar to the JS Porter. Much like Dogbolter, as well. It needs a good 6-8 weeks lagering, though.

Cheers - Snow.

I was thinking of the English Guildford Porter

A tasty and potent drop! But bland when not fresh (like a lot of beers)

To the guy who added a vanilla bean to his porter, porter has traditionally been adulterated, at various times with opium, nicotine strychnine. . .

Jovial Monk

Back