James Squire Pepperberry Winter Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviary

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was just at the local Liquorland and saw that they had a limited release from James Squire - Pepperberry Winter Ale.

It was only available by the carton at the time ($59.99) but I was told that 6-packs will be on sale next week.

Has anyone tried it ?

David.

Hello all,

I was just at the local Liquorland and saw that they had a limited release from James Squire - Pepperberry Winter Ale.

It was only available by the carton at the time ($59.99) but I was told that 6-packs will be on sale next week.

Has anyone tried it ?

David.

I bought a 6 pack a few days back from 1st choice liquor and it only cost $14.90
I haven't cracked it open yet but I'm sure it will be quite interesting.

You might find more info on this thread http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;hl=pepperberry
or you may have to wait and try one....

Just grabbed a 6 pack at the local bottle-o. Quite nice, a lot of caramel, very unique :)

I had a quasi version of this is the Squires Brewhouse in the Docklands in Melbourne.

Was dubbed "the lash"

Dark brown/old ale with a big hit of pepperberry. Very moreish from what i could remember. Even thou i had consumed several pints earlier.

will keep my eyes open for the bottled release.

i tried this the other day and actually didnt think it was that great. Where's the hop theif?!

edit: i before e

i had a sixer of this on the weekend with a mate, i really liked this one, although, don;t think i could drink alot of this one. but fantastic for a winters day...

try some if you can

cheers jimmy

Well i went to squires in russel st city on saturday and they had the pepperberry ale on tap.

exactly the same as the lash.

May have been a trial on in the docklands a few months back.

Reminded me a bit like their porter, just a bit more going on. Slightly spicy with some dark fruit. Quite nice regardless.

I'm a big pepperberry fan, so when I saw James Squire Pepperberry Winter Ale advertised recently, I was eager to get hold of some.

I'd rate it 8/10. The colour from the pepperberries is wonderful, and they add a distinct flavour and tartness - but where's the bite? Disappointing.
Perhaps it needs to brew a bit longer, or they need to crack the tiny seeds to get out more "pep"?

Nevertheless, it's an important step forward in Australian commercial beers - I'm always on the lookout for a new brew to try.
Bring on the Lemon Myrtle/Lemon Aspen Witbiers! (They exist - e.g. Barons Lemon Myrtle Witbier - but I've never seen them locally.)

Edit: Ironically it was advertised at Vintage Cellars, but they were still waiting on their delivery; I got some from 1st Choice instead.

Theyre getting a keg of this for the hopster meet 7th august (along with moo brew stout (non oak)) and taverners mead ale (never heard of it).

pretty sure i wont be able to make it though, as usual due to work commitments and it being 350km away :(

Just tried this tonight. Vintage Cellars Chapel Hill, Brisbane were selling it. I must say I am underwhelmed. I was expecting robust flavours and only got a whimper. Ok, some "peppery" type flavours, but basically just a bog-standard dark ale with not much to separate it from the crowd. I had it with a hearty lamb shank slow cooked casserole, expecting gastronomic bliss and was left wanting (beer-wise). I ended up sculling it and opening up a bottle of Shiraz cabernet instead.

However..... I hope to be tasting the J.S Pepperberry on tap tomorrow night at the Grand Central, so will reserve final judgement until then.

Cheers - Snow

TBH I havent really enjoyed a squires seasonal since the last time they did the Australian Strong Ale. Oh well, I think I'll pick up a sixpack and have a try next time I'm in dan murphys anyways

Picked up a single of it from my local Vintage Cellars tonight.

I like it.

Nose was porter like, malty but not over the top. Colour was rubyred/brown. Head was creamy colour which faded away to a ring around the glass.

No pepperberry bite that I expected but plenty of fruit on the back of the palate.

I'd buy it again.

i really liked this one, although, don;t think i could drink alot of this one. but fantastic for a winters day...

+1

normally the $hitholes i work in are out of the way, XXXX Gold or XXXX Heavy type places so i was suprised to see a 6 pack in the bottlo, i like it, not a huge amount of bite but it made a pleasant change.

Cheers
Yardy

I quite liked the Pepperberry Ale but it seems to me to be a good idea that didnt go far enough. Dare I say that word - you know the one that gets in the way of what would have been a fine, distinctive and original brew only to be down graded to have - 'drinkability'!

I went to a James Squire beer and food matching the other week (hoping that they would have the Pepperberry as part of it but they didnt) and Chuck actually talked about the PBA and mentioned the word Drinkability. As I said I liked the beer but didnt love it or gush about it. There was the delicate nose of the berries and a very faint taste also but i had to work at it to find it rather than the PB character rush forward and announce itself. They can be quite hot and in your face - I made a pepperberry icecream once and whoa the berries gave it a lovely purple colour and a lovely hot fruity bite and I guess I would have loved that in the beer but would that have given it drinkability out in the wider community?

Thankfully we as home brewers can now order our pepperberries direct from Tassie and make our own version to knock our mates and wives socks off - so thanks Chuck and the Maltshovel crew. I will get down to the brew pub to have a taste of the ale on tap.

BTW pepperberries that are freeze dried are more mild to those that have been air dried - the air dried kick ass!

I was disappointed by this beer. I was expecting a strong favoured beer with a bit of bite. Instead I found it too sweet and rather plain for a "limited release" beer. Definately not worth hunting down.

I have to say it's much nicer from the tap. The berries stand out more.

- Snow

Latest posts

Back