James Squire PA Smooth Finish

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proffs

Reaction score
G'day, I just had my first 150 lashes today and the thing that stood out to me was how smooth the aftertaste was. I still thought it was bitter enough but wasn't as "harsh" as a lot of other beers.

As a brewing newbie I was curious how they achieve this?

Proffs

Good question. Is this a function of hop acidity and choice, alcohol content or grains?

(Sorry Proffs, don't mean to hijack the post, just interested in the answer!)

Yeah, I had one of these Friday night. I thought it had a nice fresh hoppy flavour without being overly bitter. Easy drinking and better than the other megaswill beers on offer. I'd guess some decent late additions....here's the story from the horse's mouth.

http://www.jamessquire.com.au/blog/index.php/2011/09/14/news-from-the-brewery-september-2011/
"Well Lashes is a refreshing cloudy pale ale with restrained bitterness and a clean, smooth finish. We’ve used malted wheat as well as pale barley malt to add balance to the finish, while the late addition of Nelson Sauvin & Amarillo and also some Australian grown Willamette hops deliver a subdued fruity nose with hints of passionfruit, grapefruit and citrus."

Oakers

Back