James Squire Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecast

Eat, drink...and drink some more.
Reaction score
not being an expert in IPAs, what is the taste of this beer coming from? its got a great full flavour but is it the hops or the malt? it says it uses fuggles hops on the bottle. there isnt too much aroma to the beer though so im a bit confused. please help!!!
joe

In theory the flavor is coming from an addition of Fuggles, which has been added dry sometime after primary fermentation...

There is a couple of articles on the following link about IPA that are worth reading. Its quite a significant style of beer.

http://brewingtechniques.com/library/styles.html

i need to get some more of that js ipa into me.but from memory munich malt play a very important role in that brew.the fuggles are a little tame in my opinion.

i think it is more a modern version with a lower o.g and higher f.g than the original ipas.they originally used non malt 100% fermentable adjuncts to get a very low f.g.this was to help preserve the ale for the long journey.

the malt flavour would originally come from extended boiling times i believe. but in modern versions munich malt seems to be quite commomly used.

so i think what you want is huge bitterness backed up by huge maltiness in the flavour.then reasonable hop aroma.

JS IPA is on special at Bailey and Bailey this week. $12.99 a sixer. Not a fan myself. Love their Porter, Pils and Amber though.

TDA

I don't mind the JS stuff. A little under hopped for my palate. Certainly better than most Aussie stuff in the bottle-O tho!

The big flavour in this beer is malt. The fuggles is faint, it does come through in the aroma, but it could do with a fair bit more hopping: bittering, flavour and aroma, IMO. Although it is not a particularly faithful IPA, I reckon this is a bloody good beer and I like it a lot, probably more than their porter, and I love porters.

Mark i have tried one of those ipa today from bailey and bailey it a nice beer i think it could have a lot stronger hop aroma and could be more bitter but still a nice drop better than most mega swill

Back