James Squire Hop Thief

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.DJ.

Reaction score
http://jamessquiredev.hollersydney.com.au/blog/?p=201

Australian beer lovers will soon be able to tantalise their tastebuds by trying the latest winter limited release from craft brewer James Squire. Hop Thief Ale is a smooth, deep amber brew featuring a unique blend of Australian hops to create an enticing floral bouquet. The third version of the popular limited release Hop Thief is again linked to the timing of the Australian hop harvest. The ale uses the late addition of hops to add a depth of aroma, flavour and complexity to the beer.

The Hop Thief limited releases all utilise unique hop varieties to highlight how hops can impact distinctively on the flavour of beer. The latest Hop Thief uses all Australian grown hop varieties to reflect the innovative approach and achieve unique characters in the finished beer.

The creation of Hop Thief was inspired by James Squires contributions to brewing in the early colony; Squire was the first successful grower of hops on Australian soil. Hop Thief Ale takes its name from the fact that Squire was forced to steal a small quantity of horehound to brew his first batch of beer, due to the scarcity of hops in the early colony.

Tony Jones, Chief Brewer reveals: The hops we are using to create the latest version of Hop Thief are a combination of the well established Australian variety Pride of Ringwood, which is known primarily as a bittering hop, and the locally-bred aroma variety known as Southern Hallertau.

We have used hop flowers secured fresh from the 2009 Tasmanian harvest rather than using the commonly available pellet form and add them late in the fermentation process so we capture the floral flavours otherwise lost during boiling.

Jones explains the fermentation process: Instead of using a hop back which runs hot wort over the hop flowers, the team at the Malt Shovel Brewery will be using an original process to infuse the hops by circulating beer late in the fermentation, over the hops and back into the vessel. The piece of equipment they will be using to carry out the process has been affectionately dubbed the Hopperator.

James Squires Hop Thief Ale is best enjoyed with spicy and flavoursome meat dishes or strong cheeses to balance out the bitterness of the beer making it perfect for savouring on a cold winters night.

Only 11,000 cases of the James Squire Hop Thief Ale have been produced, so beer lovers should embrace the cooler months and take this opportunity to taste great Australian craft beer at its best.

James Squire Hop Thief Ale is 5% ABV and will be available nationally in all good bottle shops from 8 June 2009 at a RRP of $57.99 per carton and RRP $18.99 per 6 pack ($59.99 & $19.99 in SA). It will also be available on tap in the James Squire Brewhouses in Sydney and Melbourne from the same date.

Do they release this every year?
The third version of the popular limited release Hop Thief is again linked to the timing of the Australian hop harvest.
They do seasonal releases every year, not necessarily the same each year. No better ideas for this season I guess. They should do the strong ale again :icon_drool2:

I don't actually recall trying this one. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it.

If you like passionfruit smacking you in the face, you'll love this one (well, presuming it's the same as last time I tried it)

I really enjoyed this beer last year, and Im normally a pussy when it comes to hoppy beers.
My hop head wife thought it was the monkeys chunkeys, tho!

this one sounds darker than previous releases - i remember the first release which was lighter and more like an IPA i think.

Brendo

nice... this one goe son the list then

Do they change the hops with each release of hop thief according to what they feel like using, or what is 'in season'?

I have a feeling that in one of the previous releases they hopped with Simcoe and Columbus, can anyone confirm this?

If you like passionfruit smacking you in the face, you'll love this one (well, presuming it's the same as last time I tried it)

The last one did have some of those flavours, but reading that blurb I'd say this one will be very different. POR to bitter and Tassie Hallertau late in the boil. No American style hops (think the last one was a combo of Columbus and Simcoe). I am a little surprised that they didn't go for Galaxy, but I guess they may consider it too expensive at the moment.

Tassie Hallertau is a lot different to previously used hops. Its much more subtle. I guess if you jammed enough in it'd do the trick though! From memory the "Hop Celebrator" that they used to have on tap at the Brewhouse was late hopped with Tassie Hallertau. It was a lovely beer. Here's hoping they are going for something similar! Wouldn't be surprised if its identical actually...

I'll be grabbing a case....

This was the first beer I drank that wasn't Carlton Draught or Tooheys New.......Really opened my eyes.

The first hop thief was Nelson Sauvin, maybe something else too but I am sure that it was NS.
I loved it.
The second one was more American, I think the hops mentioned above sound right from memory. I didn't think much of it myself.
I am looking forward to trying this one though. Nice to see them continuing to do limited release beers even if they don't always get it right, at least to my tastes...

Yeah, to my vague memory I enjoyed the first one (Nelson Sauvin). The second one (Columbus and Simcoe) I thoroughly enjoyed and bought a couple cases worth. The mandarin character from the simcoe was absolutely lovely. If they've made this one a bit darker then I wonder if it will draw a little similarity to Cascade's last first harvest... that was a really good beer.

I had a feeling the first incarnation was a combo of NS and pacific hallertau. I had been brewing for a little while then but was absolutely gobsmacked by the passionfruit nose on this beer, I wasn't really sure that I liked it, but it was a revelation nonetheless.

Would be good if it is a bit darker and different in the malt but I have a feeling the 'deep amber' might be a little misleading, I am sure by deep they don't mean darker amber as in a amber ale we would expect. I'd put all the money I have on it being the same colour as before, I don't have any money so have nothing to loose in this bet :lol:

I had a feeling the first incarnation was a combo of NS and pacific hallertau. I had been brewing for a little while then but was absolutely gobsmacked by the passionfruit nose on this beer, I wasn't really sure that I liked it, but it was a revelation nonetheless.

I have a feeling you're right. Too long ago and I suspect I drank it at the wheatsheaf. Always difficult to remember beers from a night there.

Tried the new hop thief tonight at the Wheaty in Adelaide. It was surprisingly good and the bitterness was higher than expected. I recommend getting in to try it if you can.

If they've made this one a bit darker then I wonder if it will draw a little similarity to Cascade's last first harvest... that was a really good beer.

I just hope it's not like this year's First Harvest! Blergh! Well, at least it's bitter....

Back