Jaffa Beer (choc + Orange)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
I was thinking about making a beer with chocolate and orange flavours using only malt and hops.

I want the chocolate flavours from a stout without the burnt flavours. More like a sweeter brown ale. For the orange I was thinking Amarillo. Any other hops give off orange?

Wanted to make it at about 4% with a high FG.

Inspiration was a 'pre-dawn ale'. Something you'd drink for breakfast if you got up before the sun did.

For the choc character im thinking a mixture of Dark munich, munich II, touch of Brown or pale choc.

As for the orange id go challenger and a something NZ like Riwaka combination.

im actually doing a marmelade porter next week, so its been on my mind, and id like to hear how you go.

sim

Amarillo gives me mandarin but more recent crops have also given a bit of passionfruit.

I'd be going for challenger and styrian goldings.

In Gordon Strongs "brewing better beer" he mentions steeping dark grains in cold water for 24hrs then adding to the boil the last 5-10mins and this will give the roast flavours without the acrid burnt flavours as if you mashed or steeped the dark grain in hot water (sparge stage) . He said you can also add the steeped water to the fermenter to taste and either of these method's is perfect for a sweet stout.
I'm doing a Porter on Thursday using the method so i'll see how it goes.

I am only a mere Kits & Bits and occasional Extract Brewer - I am first to admit I have a lot to learn about brewing. But it doesnt stop the inner mad scientist in me experimenting.

I tried a Jaffa brew recently - I would not call it a great success but I wouldnt call it a complete failure either.

Heres a link to what I tried

I went overboard on the cocoa - the end result is something you cant see light through at all. It looks like muddy water.

Its ugly - But it is quite drinkable. A fair bit of bitterness ( from the cocoa I assume) but a very nice Jaffa smell and taste from the orange zest.

It is going to take a while to drink 23 litres of it - but it isnt getting tipped out thats for sure

I doubt I can teach any of you guys anything - but I will be watching this thread to learn a bit more about where I went wrong.

Thanks for the input so far guys. I'll probably refrain from using orange peels or cocoa. It's not that I'm a purist, I'm just more after a 'beer' that has at least hints of chocolate and orange. It doesn't need to be anything crazy, just the best I can achieve while still only using malt and hops.

Funny how most citrus hops don't really equal orange but usually passionfruit etc.

freshly crushed coriander seed = orange

Latest posts

Back