I've Cracked It As A Commercial Brewer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 384

Reaction score
It's often said of commercial brewers, that it takes a lot of skill to make a bland tasteless beer. Well if my latest efforst at a Vienna lager are anything to go by, I've got a great future as a brewer for West End, because this has to be the most insipid beer I've ever made.

The recipe was very simple. Virtually 100% Vienna malt, with 30gms of roast barley for colour adjustment, mashed at 66c. Hops were super fresh Hallertau Hersbrucker, 45gms for 60mins for around 25IBUs. Yeast was Wyeast Munich Lager, fermented at around 10C. After primary fermentation, it was lagered for 8 weeks.

When I racked it to a keg it had a very bland malt flavour and the bittering, although it was supposed to be low, seems non-existent. I didn't want a lot of hop flavour either, but the good quality noble hops I used should have imparted some background complexity, even if it was just used for the full boil.

I've made similar versions of this beer before and quite enjoyed the result. The best one used Tettnanger hops and DCL 34/70. No idea why this one is so disapointing.

I reckon it's agood one to keep on tap for non-beer lovers.

Cheers
MAH

MAH: now all you have to do it crack the secrets of the soapy taste, and the metallic twang in the aftertaste, and you're all set!

MAH,

What sort of temps you serving it at?

Sometimes a couple of degrees difference can change a lot of beers markedly. (preferably on the warmer side). However I'm picking you've already tried this?

I'd be serving it roughly at 9 degrees + or - a degree.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
MAH,

Sometimes a couple of degrees difference can change a lot of beers markedly. (preferably on the warmer side). However I'm picking you've already tried this?

Warren -
[post="65505"][/post]​

If that is the case MAH, have you tried boiling it and adding some milk and calling it a herbal tea.

Do you have a stocking -- not one you are currently wearing -- put 30 grams of tettnang in the stocking and put that in the keg and try it in about a week.

It sounds like the perfect guest beer.

Steve

barfridge said:
MAH: now all you have to do it crack the secrets of the soapy taste, and the metallic twang in the aftertaste, and you're all set!
[post="65499"][/post]​

For the metallic twang, I'd recommend some aged LME and some HSA.

For soapiness, I have little experience (thanks goodness).

Seth :p

MAH said:
When I racked it to a keg it had a very bland malt flavour and the bittering, although it was supposed to be low, seems non-existent. I didn't want a lot of hop flavour either, but the good quality noble hops I used should have imparted some background complexity, even if it was just used for the full boil.
[post="65495"][/post]​

MAH

Exactly the same thing happened to me with a batch of pale ale. It was supposed to be hopped at around 45IBU but I would guess there was less than half of that in the finished brew. All I could put it down to was that the hops were tightly packed in the boling bag (pellets) and when they expanded in the liquid they became so tightly packed that the boil was unable to extract the goodness from the hops in the centre of the mass. I brewed 3 batches that day (with the same hops) and it only happened with the highly hopped batch.

I have since made the same beer again without the boiling bag - just chucking rhe pelets directly in - and the hopping was perfect. Beer was a bugger to clear because of all the hop resedue that got into the fermenter but the hopping was perfect.

I don't know whether you are using pelets and a boiling bag or not but that may be something to look at.

Cheers
Dave

warrenlw63 said:
MAH,

Warren -
[post="65505"][/post]​

First taste was way too cold, just out the lagering fridge, so I let it warm up to a more acceptable temperature - still not very interesting.

It still had some carbonation from the fermentation, but relatively flat, so I'm hoping that fully carbonated it will have a bit more zing. But I'm afraid that I'll be hoping in vain.

Maybe I'll enter it into a competition under the Aussie premium lager category ;) .

Cheers
MAH

Mark, did you use imported or local vienna malt?

I remember the Vienna Lager you brewed early last year and that was a cracker.

C&B
TDA

Weizguy said:

[post="65511"][/post]​

I can help there. PRIDE OF PALMOLIVE or shoud that be RINGWOOD. :eek:

Warren -

Weizguy Posted Today, 03:12 AM

warrenlw63 Posted Today, 03:42 AM
QUOTE(Weizguy @ Jun 30 2005, 01:12 PM)

I can help there. PRIDE OF PALMOLIVE or shoud that be RINGWOOD.

Warren -

I like the way you guys think.
30 minute boil only for the POP and back off the bitterness to 15 or 20IBU?

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
Mark, did you use imported or local vienna malt?

I remember the Vienna Lager you brewed early last year and that was a cracker.

C&B
TDA
[post="65524"][/post]​

Hi TDA

I used Hoepfner Vienna, same as I used last year. I reckon I got a better flavour profile from the 34/70 rather than the Munich yeast. This surprised me because I used the Munich in a Pilsner and it had a great flavour profile.

Cheers
MAH

Weizguy said:

Or overload on Williamette.

Doc

MAH said:
It's often said of commercial brewers, that it takes a lot of skill to make a bland tasteless beer. Well if my latest efforst at a Vienna lager are anything to go by, I've got a great future as a brewer for West End, because this has to be the most insipid beer I've ever made.
[post="65495"][/post]​

Look, this clearly another example of you amateurs infringing on the territory of us professionals trying to make a living from brewing beer.

Cease and desist or I will put the legal team onto you. :excl:

Pedro
Proprietor Gulf Brewery

Congrats, MAH!

I think Pedro's just jealous. Give him a week to calm down and he'll be calling on you for advice.

Kai said:
Congrats, MAH!

I think Pedro's just jealous. Give him a week to calm down and he'll be calling on you for advice.
[post="65578"][/post]​

Commercial brewers don't get jealous -- they get the market :)

Latest posts

Back