It's Like A Friggin' Rubber Rubicks Cube...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayellayen

Reaction score
To the point: My rubber stopper sitting in the top of my glass carboy is defective. That is, it wont.... stop. It keeps on wanting to slide out, so it's now perched quite precariously, kinda wedged just ever so slightly in the top of my carboy with the airlock in. However I am quite concerned as to it's stability. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong or what I could do? Cheers.

ayellayen said:
To the point: My rubber stopper sitting in the top of my glass carboy is defective. That is, it wont.... stop. It keeps on wanting to slide out, so it's now perched quite precariously, kinda wedged just ever so slightly in the top of my carboy with the airlock in. However I am quite concerned as to it's stability. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong or what I could do? Cheers.
[post="69456"][/post]​

Ahh the ol dodgy bung. Have had experience with that myself.

Assuming that you bung is not too old (been on the shelf in the shop for so long that it is hard enough to crumble rather than being elastic) then I find that to grip in the neck properly cleaness and dryness is the key to a foiling a troublesome bung. Normally insert the airlock and hold it by this whilst rinsing the sanitiser off with boiling water and then shaking off. This get it hot so any water evaporates off and also leaves the rubber slightly grippy. Also the neck must be dry and clean. I will often wipe with alcohol and then flame it with a lighter to dry it.

Hope this helps. Failing this perhaps try either a new bung or call the leyland brothers. It may not be the right size or as I said a bit old.

Cheers

Borret :blink:

ayellayen said:
[post="69456"][/post]​

I suspect that the rubber bung is too big. If you have to squeeze it in to get it to fit then it will gradually expand and force its self out. Get a smaller bung and all will be well. I use the same size for 5gal and 1 gal carboys. The LHBS sold me a bigger bung when i bought the 5 gal but it always pops out. The smaller ones that fit the 1 gal carboys work perfectly.

Cheers
Dave

Easy fix. Go into the kitchen. In the 3rd draw down is the Aluminium foil. Tear some off and place it over the top. You can fold it over and get a snug fit so nothing will go in, but the CO2 will still be able to get out.
Gerard

My rubber bungs gave me grief when trying to push them into the carboy as well.

Couple of things. Boil them in water before pushing them into the carboy, this softens the rubber somewhat. Also try screwing the bung and pushing down in a clockwise motion. This sort of forces it in further too.

What you will find is that over time they shrink slightly and become a better fit.

If all that fails lash out some extra coin and get yourself a couple of silicone bungs. IIRC they're not particularly cheap about $12 each.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Couple of things. Boil them in water before pushing them into the carboy, this softens the rubber somewhat. Also try screwing the bung and pushing down in a clockwise motion. This sort of forces it in further too.

Warren -
[post="69465"][/post]​

Being from the southern hemisphere I find that a counter clockwise rotation to be far more effective. It also encourages the beer to flow faster later in its life as its feng shui is all in harmony. :p

Sorry, yet another hijack.

Borret said:
Being from the southern hemisphere I find that a counter clockwise rotation to be far more effective. It also encourages the beer to flow faster later in its life as its feng shui is all in harmony. :p

Sorry, yet another hijack.

[post="69467"][/post]​

:huh: Whatever rows 'yer boat Borret. :lol:

Warren -

Back