It's Brew Day! Help With Two Brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvern

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got two beers to put down today so that I've got something ready to go for Australia Day: Can you guys sanity check the following recipes? Any advice appreciated.

Brew One: Hoppy Pale Sessional
6L Boil
Coopers Draught
Coopers LME
500g LDME
25g Cascade 6.2% @ 30min
25g Cascade 6.2% @ 15min
Nottingham Ale Yeast

Brew Two: Amarillo Golden Ale
6L Boil
Coopers Real
Coopers AME
500g LDME
25g Amarillo 10.1% @ 30min
25g Amarillo 10.1% @ 15min
50g Amarillo 10.1% dry hop @ 4 days primary
US-05

Going with Nottingham for pale because I didn't want to have two beers on US-05. These are both a little playful/experimental :)

I normally strain my beers into the fermenter to remove the hops but I've seen a lot of advice here saying that the hops will just settle at the bottom anyway. What are your thoughts on this?

Yeah they both look nice. Although I'm not sure what extract you mean by "Coopers LME" and "Coopers AME". Which LME and what is AME? Anyhoos, I try to keep my recipes simple and find that a can and light DME makes good beer.

EDIT: I just looked at the Coopers website and I figure you mean Light Malt Extract and Amber Malt Extract. The amber will be great but why bother with 2 different types of light extract for the pale? I'd just use more of the cheaper one.

Yeah they both look nice. Although I'm not sure what extract you mean by "Coopers LME" and "Coopers AME". Which LME and what is AME? Anyhoos, I try to keep my recipes simple and find that a can and light DME makes good beer.

Sorry that should have been Coopers Amber LME and Coopers Light LME :)

Both look nice, but I'd swap the Amber and Light LME between the two recipes. A Golden Ale is usually lighter in colour and malt than a Pale Ale.

Hops will settle to the bottom. Up to you whether you wish to strain or not. Straining them out probably makes it a little easier at bottling time, but there's not much in it really.

Hey guys,

I've got two beers to put down today so that I've got something ready to go for Australia Day: Can you guys sanity check the following recipes? Any advice appreciated.

Brew One: Hoppy Pale Sessional
6L Boil
Coopers Draught
Coopers LME
500g LDME
25g Cascade 6.2% @ 30min
25g Cascade 6.2% @ 15min
Nottingham Ale Yeast

Brew Two: Amarillo Golden Ale
6L Boil
Coopers Real
Coopers AME
500g LDME
25g Amarillo 10.1% @ 30min
25g Amarillo 10.1% @ 15min
50g Amarillo 10.1% dry hop @ 4 days primary
US-05

Going with Nottingham for pale because I didn't want to have two beers on US-05. These are both a little playful/experimental :)

I normally strain my beers into the fermenter to remove the hops but I've seen a lot of advice here saying that the hops will just settle at the bottom anyway. What are your thoughts on this?

HI, I brew with LDM, a little wheat 250g dex 250g and corn syrup 100g and half a shovel full of hops at varying times (generally 50min 30min and 5min). I never sieve the hops off into the fermenter. If you really want too you can cool the fermenter down to around 10 degrees C for a couple of days after its finished to clafiy. You get a solid bunch of gunk sitting on the bottom and the brew is clearer, hardly worth it as the hops all settle regardless. I generally add a teaspoon of geletin disolved in about 100m water to the keg after filling to clear the beer.

Cheers Tom

recipes look nice, i'm a big fan of both hops you're using... but you've left it pretty late if you're aiming for Australia Day 2013 drinks! :beer: good luck!!!

If you are kegging and have a fridge for CC the Notto fermented brew may make Aussie Day. But it won't be the best it could be.

My Notto ales normally ferment to FG in 3-4 days, but i leave them until day 10, when I CC them (packs the trub, yeast, hops matter down nicely). 3 days later (or 14th day since dropping in the fermenter) I keg them.
1 week on top of this they are about right (carbonation levels coming up, associated acid bite from force carbing gone), another week they are the best, then plateau for a while.

Probably not worth rushing 40L of beer trying to hit a set date. Best let it do its thing on its own schedule.
Buy a carton of swill if desperate for a beer on AD.
Rushed homebrew, (emphasis on rushed not homebrew), would be cheaper, but probably not much better.

Yeah I said it.... :ph34r:

Cheers,
D80

Back