"its Beer Jim, But Not As We Planned It."

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oatlands Brewer

Reaction score
Hi all

Did the first extract boil last Saturday and was aiming for something resembling Redback.

has been progressing nicely with temps between 15 and 20 and its still got a few "hydro's" to go before it finish's (i hope).

Now my quandry is, the damn thing smells and tastes like its heading for a Hefe style of booze, Nanas and clove etc.....not quite what i had in mind, though not at all bad, the problem is i hopped it fairly well so it might end up being a hoppy hefe.....

My original plan was to crash cool it after ferm to drop the yeast out to make a bright wheat beer......not excatly in the german style eh!

Which way do i go..

Hi all

Did the first extract boil last Saturday and was aiming for something resembling Redback.

has been progressing nicely with temps between 15 and 20 and its still got a few "hydro's" to go before it finish's (i hope).

Now my quandry is, the damn thing smells and tastes like its heading for a Hefe style of booze, Nanas and clove etc.....not quite what i had in mind, though not at all bad, the problem is i hopped it fairly well so it might end up being a hoppy hefe.....

My original plan was to crash cool it after ferm to drop the yeast out to make a bright wheat beer......not excatly in the german style eh!

Which way do i go..

The banana smell will probably be stronger in the fermenting beer than in the finished beer. A fair bit of that smell will be carried away by the C02 as things progress, and it will settle down a bit over time too.

Cloves - are well and truly meant to be there in a Redback, redback is a very very clovey beer, almost bacon like actually.

Hops.. well, not a lot you can do about it, bitterness will settle with time.

Letting it drop clear makes it a Kristal Weizen - very German!

Not a hell of a lot you can do about it anyway - just go with the flow, it'll be fine.

TB

Hi all

Which way do i go..

What yeast did you use?

I forgot about Kristal Weizen.... :rolleyes:

It was SAF Wb-06 Steve

If you want it clear rack to secondary and chill for a month. If you want a cloudy wheat bottle when its done. Either way it'll be nice. Entirely up to you really. Let us know how it goes.
Cheers
Steve

Chill for a month....really...wow i thought maybe a week.

i could do that in a cube eh......am i right in saying a "cube" is a 20lt water container from bunnings. the blue ones.

Will let you know how it ends up.

Chill for a month....really...wow i thought maybe a week.

i could do that in a cube eh......am i right in saying a "cube" is a 20lt water container from bunnings. the blue ones.

Will let you know how it ends up.

The longer you chill it the clearer it will get. Like I said its entirely up to you and how patient you are. Dont forget that wheats are best drunk green (fresh), as in about 2 weeks. If it was me i'd be bottling/kegging as soon as its done and and hooking in!
Cheers
Steve

Dont forget that wheats are best drunk green (fresh), as in about 2 weeks. If it was me i'd be bottling/kegging as soon as its done and and hooking in!
Cheers
Steve

yeah, totally just get in there, son. i like wheats fresh, too. but i've always fermented too low and missed out on the cool and missed out on the cool nana notes and stuff.

re. hops in wheats, it's all open i reckon. i'm drinking one now which had hersbrucker, but i'll be trying one with late additions of galaxy or something - especially if i can reliably combine with yeast flavours! how about Pride of Ringwood flowers + clove?

next up will be 'munich' yeast and i reckon i'll aim for about 22 degrees, cause i did the wb06 at 18 and didnt get anything as pronounced as i was wanting!

Thanks guys..

mfdu...this one went down with 25grams of Pride of ringwood pellets at 60min and then 10gr at 10 mins then 10gr of Saaz at flame out, so ill let u know how it turns out

Had a first crack at this one today, one week after bottling............hmmmmm...... not anything at all like redback :huh: but a nice beer anyway its definatly a german wiezen type thing like a hefe without the cloud and the hopping wasnt as pronouced as i tasted in the fermenter.its a clear as a bell with only a tiny amount of yeast in the bottom of the bottles

it does have a hint of smokey, almost dare i say it, bacon malty thingy going on it really fills ya mouth......has anyone else come across this flavour and is it wrong, the banana smell is a lot more subdued than what has in the fermenter aswell but still nice.

Will this beer change much with more bottle time or sould i jump in and start drinking it

The smokey/bacon is a phenolic. 4VG, same thing that gives cloves can often be perceived as smokey or bacon like, there is another phenol closely related to 4VG that is more "smokey" and it could be a little of that too.

Sounds like you have all the individual characteristics of a redback - clear, a bit of banana like weizen, the clove/bacon flavour (quiet strong in redback) ... just didn't assemble itself into a redback format thats all.

Start drinking it - if its a little harsh, some time will help, but otherwise you might as well get stuck in.

TB

Back