Italian Spiral - How Much Weight Can They Handle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lawrence

Blow me eric8
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much weight the stand of an italian spiral burner can handle?
Im looking at doing a 150L brew (1st May Big brew day) in a kettle which is about 20kg, but not too sure if the stand is going to cope with 170 Kg.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Gregor

I just did my first brew on Sat where I had my 100L kettle at capacity with no real drama. But the stand is the negative point on the burner in my eyes and I definitely want to replace it* in time, mine has a bit of play in it, which worries me.

While I think there is a 99.99% chance it would be OK, I get the impression that it was not designed for anything that heavy

ED * replace the stand with a custom welded one that I can adjust the distance between the kettle and know that it will be sturdy for years. For the record, I bloody love the burner and would buy one again in a heartbeat.

These look like pretty good burners.
Would it not be possble to construct an additional support to use in conjunction with the burner and stand?

Is their a big brew day happening on the 1st? Or are you just doing a big one yourself? I am not familiar with your burner but surely you could rest the pot on some cinder blocks and stick the burner in the middle if you were really worried.

Its the big brew day on the 1st of May. I believe that its an international event, we are doing it as a club day.

Yes I could use some cinder/besserblocks, but I was just curious if anyone knew what they could handle.

Edit: I wont be doing such large boils too often, so dont really want to make a custom stand when the standard stand does me just fine most of the time.

Gregor

If you do a boil with the pot on besser blocks, you will also want the burner stand up higher, or over something less explodable than regular concretes. You will probably need to crank it a little for the large boil volume.

Regulary boil 100L's in a 120L pot on an italian spiral and the stand has not failed me yet. Im no engineer but i thought they looked pretty bloody sturdy.

When I bought mine, the guy who sold it to me told me that he sells these to Italians who boil 44 gallon drums of tomatoes on them.

No idea what a drum of tomatoes weighs , but water weighs 1gm per cm3. There are 3785 cubic centimeters per gallon (US) = 3.785 kg's per gallon.

44 x 3.785 = 166.54 kgs or 166.54 litres... I think

When I bought mine, the guy who sold it to me told me that he sells these to Italians who boil 44 gallon drums of tomatoes on them.

No idea what a drum of tomatoes weighs , but water weighs 1gm per cm3. There are 3785 cubic centimeters per gallon (US) = 3.785 kg's per gallon.

44 x 3.785 = 166.54 kgs or 166.54 litres... I think

Or even better - usually they're UK/imperial gallons for drums. 44 * 4.5 = 198L

Rob.

Wikipedia to the rescue:

A 55-gallon drum (known as a 44-gallon drum in the United Kingdom, and increasingly in Australia as a 200-litre drum) is a cylindrical container drum with a nominal capacity of 55 US gallons (46 imp gal; 208 L). The exact capacity varies with wall thickness and other factors. Standard drums are 22.5 inches (572 mm) in diameter and 33.5 inches (851 mm) high (these dimensions yield a total volume of ~218 L). Exact dimensions are specified in ANSI MH2.

Yeah, but do they have their 44gal/200L drums full, or just 1/2 way.
Might be better to go the besserblocks to avoid potentail spillage of 150L.

Yeah, but do they have their 44gal/200L drums full, or just 1/2 way.
Might be better to go the besserblocks to avoid potentail spillage of 150L.

I bought one from a guy to do tomato bottling in - haven't used it yet but the seller said the Italians do 44's on them chock full of bottles and water.

Just a side note.
On the Beerbelly website it states that this burner may require custom mounting for use with med-high pressure regulator. What would this entail?

Back