Italian Spiral Burner: Can I run it off mains gas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the final stages of fitting out my brewspace at the moment. Exhaust fan goes in over the next day or so and then I'm pretty much set.

I've had a mains gas line run into the brewery; but have just realised that I may need to modify my Spiral burner before I connect it.

I'm running the burner with a medium pressure adjustable regulator like this one.

Can anyone tell me what I'd need to do to get it all running off the mains?

Cheers

Breezy

I would say that the jets would need changing - at least that's what I did with my BBQ to change from town gas (Natural Gas) to LPG

I changed my BBQ to natural gas and was the worst thing I ever done , seemed to take forever to heat up. :unsure:

household natural gas runs at low pressure, dont know exactly what pressure but i'm sure a plumber can chime in

if it does work, i doubt you'd get the maximum output from the burner as everyone seems to be using them with medium pressure regs

is no one on this forum using NG?

this is the way I was planning to go in the new house but no one seems to have an answer

lukasfab said:

this is the way I was planning to go in the new house but no one seems to have an answer
try looking at the mongolian or duckbill burners if you want to run off NG, they are low pressure burners and can definitely run off NG but do require different jets (NG and LPG versions are available)

I changed my BBQ to natural gas and was the worst thing I ever done , seemed to take forever to heat up. :unsure:

I agree. I had to switch from ng to lpg as i am in a rental

The bbq grill goes white if i leave the lid down and on full tit, something that never happened on ng

donburke said:
household natural gas runs at low pressure, don't know exactly what pressure but i'm sure a plumber can chime in

if it does work, i doubt you'd get the maximum output from the burner as everyone seems to be using them with medium pressure regs
I only ever laid up to the meter so don't know a tonne about what happens after the upstand but I believe the newer residential meter's regulator will drop pressure to below 3kPa (older ones (if there's any left) might be higher, won't be lower). Pressure would drop over greater lines. This is for Eastern Victoria, other areas might have different meters but I'd imagine it would be fairly consistent across the country.

lukasfab said:

I have a plumber coming by to install a NG point in my garage this week. I think the diameter of the line you have feeding the burner would be an important consideration.

For my situation, I have 25mm line running in. I believe this is the same that is feeding my 4 burner BBQ which throws out just as much heat (with the right jets) as LPG BBQ. The pressure is indeed low (i think the plumber mentioned around 2.5kPa which gels with bum's point above). I am banking on a large diameter to feed enough gas to a NG regulated burner for 50ltr batches.

Once I have it set up and running I can provide a bit more info. I still need to get a NG suitable burner though, so it could be a little while until I have anything else to add.

Cheers

I run n/g on my rig I am useing burners out of hot water tanks my gas is coming through a 1/2 pipe Malt give me a bell might have a burner for ya

If it turns out to be insufficient you could always put a bit of shrouding around the bottom of the pot to increase efficiency. Less heat going up also makes it a little safer if you want to drop an immersion heater in to speed things up.

I've watched a few videos on youtube and some guys using NG also have a blower to bring extra air, which ramps the heat up massively

some do it depends on the brand I have pulled them out of old hot water tanks and use kegs

Definitely go duckbill or Mongolian if its still an option. They often sell with NG or LPG options, or you can buy conversion kits (jets mostly). If you already have a spiral burner then just wait and see if it can boil your working volume and consider selling/swapping to duck/mon.

Thanks guys. Sounds like the lower pressure might be a bummer.

Can't remember what size line I had forked out to there so will have a good chat to the plumber to get his thoughts when he comes back.

Will let you know if I have anything useful. Might end up having a perfectly good spiral burner up for sale - would be a shame, I love that burner!

Back