It Begins!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zwagerman9

Reaction score
So firstly a thank you to the big men who accepted and registered me to aussiehomebrewer.
Secondly a quick G'day. Been reading for ages but never registered.
Been doing kits with hops for about 6-12 months.
But today I have moved up in the ranks. Made a quick trip to grainandgrape. About $50 grain later, $50 hops later and the brew in a bag - bag.
Doing my first BIAB as we speak. Basically a 10 min ipa.
Bought 20 kg Joe White Traditional Ale.
6kg Joe white traditional ale,
250g Medium crystal.
And 180gm amirillo with maybe 20 goldings at the end.
Im aware with my BIAB brew, following NICKJD'S guide (legend), that a 6.25kg brew in a 19litre pot is pushing it with my learning curve to come.
But we will find out.

Cheers

Rae
Gear
6 fermenters,
beer fridge,
3 kegs,
distills as well

Hi Rae,

Welcome to the forum, there's loads of useful information floating around here, and lots of knowledgeable brewers.

I don't brew BIAB, so maybe I'm a bit confused, but what part lasts 10 minutes in your 10-minute IPA? Is it the mash? Boil? Hopefully you're referring to the hop addition, which brings me to my next point.

180g of Amarillo is a lot. So I assume you're adding it at the last 10 minutes? That's certainly going to give you some Amarillo kick. Hope you like Amarillo! :)

I don't brew BIAB, so maybe I'm a bit confused, but what part lasts 10 minutes in your 10-minute IPA? Is it the mash? Boil? Hopefully you're referring to the hop addition, which brings me to my next point.

180g of Amarillo is a lot. So I assume you're adding it at the last 10 minutes? That's certainly going to give you some Amarillo kick. Hope you like Amarillo! :)

You add all the hops to the boil @ 10 mins. Boil length and all other processes remain the same but it gives an insane aroma and flavour like no other.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...amp;recipe=1192

the 10 minute ipa is in the recipe d.b but yes the hops do go in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Cool, thanks. Was just hoping it wasn't a 10 minute boil or mash. I get it now - 10 minute IPA is the name of the beer in the RecipeDB. Hadn't quite twigged to that.

Good luck with it Rae!

Yeah basically going off the Recipe D.B, 60 min boil, bung in the amarillo in the last 10 minutes.
Going to go NC 10 min IPA I suppose.
Curious to see the efficiency of BIAB with such a large quantity of grain , 6.25kg. Shall find out.

About to start the boil!

Thanks for the welcome!!

Curious to see the efficiency of BIAB with such a large quantity of grain

Don't be too hung up on efficiency for the first few brews. It will take you a while to get comfortable with the process. I'd suggest (as it was advice given to me by some very experienced and knowledgeable brewers) you make the same brew a couple of times in a row just so you've got something to base future numbers on. I did this and it was the best thing I could have done. Gave me an understanding of the process, while making a beer with a recipe I was familiar with.

Welcome aboard and hope your first brew turns out to be a ripper :beerbang:

JD.

Cheers for the advice. Im prepared for a bit of trial and error. I was gonna post this on the 20 litre biab guide. Stuff the small bucket. 8 dollar bunnings bin. Holes in the bottom. Easy to sparge a few litres over the grain. What do you think? Cheers. Rae

IMG_20120903_190733.jpg

I guess next step is a bathtub and drinking sampling with a plastic mug.

Good fun, welcome.

Haha, well 10litre plastic bucket, 60 litre plastic bin! Less mess too!!

Less mess is always good. Wort is a PITA to clean off the floor. You don't clean it properly it is sticky as all get out.

Zwagwerman my clueless friend..............I hope those bits of timber aren't mere pine but some oak from rum barrells that will add somw taste to your boil. Then others would suggest you may be a troll................Do you know yasmani by any chance?

Cheers for the advice. Im prepared for a bit of trial and error. I was gonna post this on the 20 litre biab guide. Stuff the small bucket. 8 dollar bunnings bin. Holes in the bottom. Easy to sparge a few litres over the grain. What do you think? Cheers. Rae

Rae, not sure your bargain bin is food grade?

Zwagwerman my clueless friend..............I hope those bits of timber aren't mere pine but some oak from rum barrells that will add somw taste to your boil. Then others would suggest you may be a troll................Do you know yasmani by any chance?

No idea who yasmani is.
Dare I ask why I am a troll? The ideas I provide are as an amateur brewer, as in the amateur thread. I don't force people to view my idea, they can simply take it or leave it. But elaboration would be appreciated.
The drilled holes arent in contact with the timber as it is treated pine. Holes only in inner lower grooves to help accomadate drainage.

Rae, not sure your bargain bin is food grade?

Are you able to prove/disprove that the 10 litre buckets people buy to dunk sparge in are not?
Minimal contact mind you. I have known people to ferment in these bins.

Any thoughts or valid information otherwise which I cannot find would be useful!

Cheers

Rae

Less mess is always good. Wort is a PITA to clean off the floor. You don't clean it properly it is sticky as all get out.

Very sticky he states after attempting 6 kilos of grain in a 10 litre bucket, is when the bigger plastic bucket idea came about.

The mopping was great fun lol.

So final gravity 1.055, from 6 kg of traditional ale grain. 90 mins at 66'c. 90 min boil, irish moss in the last 13 mins. 180 gram of amarillo, left for 15 mins at flamout. Gone for a no chill, so straight into a sanitised fermenter. Will pitch tomorrow.
My methods of aerating the wort are: Take a blender * sanitised* to the mash skimming the surface for about 4 mins.
Hopefully all works well!

Finished my second BIAB wort and pitched today.
Went with Ross's Nelsons Sauvions Summer Ale,
Grain bill,
4.5kg Joe White Traditional Ale
500g Joe White Wheat,
Hops as per recipe, but added an extra 5g at flameout - 35g 0 mins.
NC method, chilled overnight.
Syphoned into fermenter and pitched US05.
19 litres at 1.042.
Smells absolutely amazing, Will give it a few weeks in the fermenter, cold crash and then into the keg!

Cheers

Rae

Are you able to prove/disprove that the 10 litre buckets people buy to dunk sparge in are not?
Minimal contact mind you. I have known people to ferment in these bins.

Any thoughts or valid information otherwise which I cannot find would be useful!

Cheers

Rae

I don't subscribe to the belief that if others do it, it must be ok... it's literally your choice of course!

A quick search from another forum yielded; "I'm just worried about chemicals leaching into the water from the plastic. I called Willow and they advised that the bin doesn't use food grade plastic, so shouldn't be used to store drinking water, but said that it should be okay for watering plants."

I do know that even food grade plastics still have chemical leaching, and I do know that increased temperature increases the rate of leaching.

Perhaps contact the manufacturer to be certain for yourself.

Over and out..

I hear you. I think Ill run with what I have currently until I can sort out some better gear.
Trying to do things on a budget weighing up a health sacrifice!

:p

Latest posts

Back