Issues Obtaining Rolling boil (BIAB)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xavwar

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have just started doing BIAB using a nested pots set up, same that's demode at Grain and Grape. Consists of a 60L with a 40L perforated pot for the grain and im using a 2400w Immersion element to heat and i not achieving a very vigorous boil. (more a Simmer than anything)

Questions
From my understanding the 2400W should be enough and it might be a limit of my house supply?
Would improved Insulation help with getting a better boil?
Ideas to help improve boil Second Element Etc.? (gas not viable in option at the moment)

Thanks

How much wort are you trying to boil? My urn with a 2400W element gets a great boil, normally start with about 28 litres in the pot. If you're doing a lot more than that though I could imagine it running into trouble.

I can't answer any of your questions, but what I've found on the stovetop (especially this place's kitchen) is to have the lid on until it gets to rolling boil (watch it though, or you'll get a spillover), and when you get it up, move the lid so the steam can escape but still maintain somewhat of a boil. I know others use an al-foil throwaway container on top of the wort to achieve the same thing.

I've not had a DMS issue with this (either noted by other brewers or competition level).

2400watts is roughly 10amps household power circs are normally 16 amps. Remembering that same circuit may also be running other appliances at the same time it really is the limit without a sparky running you a dedicated circuit which means $.
You could run an extension lead from a separate circ with another over the side element. You'd want to make sure you have a very heavy duty extension lead and their was no kids etc to trip over it. Sounds a bit painful though and still pretty expensive to buy.
Try floating a cake tin, or smaller batches.
Sorry to say gas may be a more economical option.

Edit - beaten to the punch

2400W with an immersion (BIAB 50 ltr Urn) wasn't good enough for me, even with insulation. Start with insulation, half lid on.

I would go another immersion (even a 1200W) on a separate power point/circuit.

Wow thanks for all the quick reply's..
I'm doing 23 litre batches i would have to check my logs to see what the max amount of wort im trying to boil but im starting with 30-35 Litre of water..

Thanks Lord Raja Goomba I I was worried about DMS so i have avoided using the lid i will give it ago.

And thanks Bridges you have confirmed what i expected and unfortunately im stuck with what i got until i move a the end of the year.

Thanks Guys

I use a insulated keggle with a 2400 element. The boil was more of a simmer till I floated a pie tin on top and that helped alot, now the weather is getting warmer in se qld I don't need to use the cake tin or the boil would be too vigorous.

A couple of things to check first:

If using a light weight cheapie extension lead to get to the power outlet, try a different extension lead - a HD one.

See if that gets the power through a bit better first and as the cheapest option. We've seen it in a few places. Poor quality cheapie cables don't carry the voltage well.

One of the guys up here had a sparky do some magic on his house wiring and ended up with a much improved boil.

Martin

In my 1V I'm running a 28L (into cube) batch on a 2,000w element and can get a 12% boil off per hour. Insulate the shit out of it and it will work, no need for floating boats on it etc.

1V_zps12f9b39a.jpg

HBHB said:
A couple of things to check first:

If using a light weight cheapie extension lead to get to the power outlet, try a different extension lead - a HD one.

See if that gets the power through a bit better first and as the cheapest option. We've seen it in a few places. Poor quality cheapie cables don't carry the voltage well.

One of the guys up here had a sparky do some magic on his house wiring and ended up with a much improved boil.

Martin
Coming from a trades background that was one of the things we were taught in the apprenticeship. For my system above I have a heavy duty tradie extension cord. It has 10amp plugs, but it uses 1.5mm2 (15 amp) cable. One day I should upgrade the white heating element cable from the 1.0mm2 to the 1.5mm2 too.

Standard white household extension leads can be as small as 0.75mm2 cable. I'd assumed no extension lead at all as 10amps through a cheapie lead for long periods of time is a recipe for melted plugs and sockets.

I'm using the following handheld Immersion Heater http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=1_2_3&products_id=8227 plugged directly into a Safety switch(Residual Current Device). no Extensions or anything.

I have few Notes about time it has taking to get the temperature up during my brew days. i will try a few of the suggestions to see if i can get a better rolling boil and improve the heating times

Back