iSpindel Digital Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the logs, looks like the firmware can't see a temperature sensor so never initializes properly.
Could be dodgy sensor but more likely bad solder joint.

So I'm still having problems with my second iSpindel device.

I can't write to the flash or erase it even. Various tools used to try and wipe the flash

esptool
I get "A fatal error occurred: MD5 of file does not match data in flash!" exception when trying to write 6.1.1 firmware to device.

I get "Timed out waiting for packet header" exception when trying to erase_flash

Other tools can't complete the flash process, or writing firmware to device
NodeMCU Flasher never times out from the erase_flash process.

Frustrating....

Maybe try another USB cable if you haven't already.
If MD5 doesn't match then there is corruption / mismatch between the write and then the check read back

Diff USB cable, same problem.
Both cables flash ESP32's with no problem so I don't think I suspect the cable at all

You might need to force flash mode by bridging D3 and GND on boot. I've had a few get upset with my messing around too much and I've had to resort to it.

Same problem with new bin file not being written to flash and causing md5 checksum errors

C:\Users\angus\Desktop\Brewers Chronicle\iSpindel>esptool.exe --port COM4 write_flash 0x0000 "6.1.1 - firmware.bin"
esptool.py v2.6-beta1
Serial port COM4
Connecting....
Detecting chip type... ESP8266
Chip is ESP8266EX
Features: WiFi
MAC: 84:f3:eb:04:fa:5a
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Configuring flash size...
Auto-detected Flash size: 16MB
Flash params set to 0x0290
Compressed 445840 bytes to 308888...
Wrote 445840 bytes (308888 compressed) at 0x00000000 in 27.3 seconds (effective 130.6 kbit/s)...
File md5: c46e06e7b1bb26b02d1ca7f13076090d
Flash md5: e64bdd306a81180f3d28aa120794646b
MD5 of 0xFF is 4e4998a1b7412b7a88189d2e9b60ea60

A fatal error occurred: MD5 of file does not match data in flash!

C:\Users\angus\Desktop\Brewers Chronicle\iSpindel>

Hi, I've recently built and been running a BrewPiLess on my ferment fridge. Now I'm collecting bits for a few iSpindel's. I bought a heap of bits for the older style 3d printed drawer kind. Then bought a couple of these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000088868912.html (did I waste my money lol?).
Anyway I am now after the Petling cylinder things to have a bash and jam all this junk into but have no idea where to source them locally? (instead of the other side of the world on ebay for $$$). Can someone point me in the right direction please ;)
Cheers.

I would say its cactus but would be great to figure out which component it might be in order to replace.
Have not given up on this purple iSpindel. I had a similar problem with orange iSpindel but fixed it by re-flashing the firmware. Thought I would try the same again on purple.

Anyway, firmware will not flash to purple. NodeMcu sits in "waiting" mode waiting the iSpindel. Putty logs shows the iSpindel looping through what looks to be the startup scripts. The iSpindel appears on the network and just as quickly disappears. Tried reset button 3-4 times and no change.

Is there a way to wipe the iSpindel's current memory or rest the device and re-flash the firmware?

Is there a way to wipe the iSpindel's current memory or rest the device and re-flash the firmware?
nodemcu flasher
1st Line: INTERNAL://NODEMCU 0x00000
2nd Line: INTERNAL://BLANK 0x01000

Also there is an option to clear flash using NodeMCU pyFlasher

Hey bee2gee

Your iSpindel is still working wonders but I was about to use it today and I got lucky and noticed that the lid has split (see attached) before I put it in contact with any liquid.

So, any ideas where I can buy a replacement lid for the ispindel you make up?

Thanks
20200105_112301.jpeg

Hey bee2gee

Your iSpindel is still working wonders but I was about to use it today and I got lucky and noticed that the lid has split (see attached) before I put it in contact with any liquid.

So, any ideas where I can buy a replacement lid for the ispindel you make up?

ThanksView attachment 117204

The tubes are blanks for PET bottles so you might be able to find a top that fits from a milk or juice bottle.

Thanks. A milk top is too small. I'm hoping bee2gee can respond with a specific suggestion given he makes them up himself.

bee2gee,

Saw the posts here regarding the iSpindel from Cherry Philip. I bought a number of brewpiless boards from PCBWay that Cherry Philip shared. However, I have absolutely no documentation about the board. I see you have a way to communicate with Cherry. Can you help?

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I saw Cherry Philip's new PCB and spoke with him to make some tweaks and integrate a battery holder so we're not longer having to solder batteries. These also fit in the XL Petlings instead of the XXL which you needed with the 3D printed sleds. My local brew club was keen on getting in on the action so I've bought enough bits and pieces for 50 of these units. I'm keen to help people in Aus buy from a local supplier at a reasonable cost and get their units within the week no matter where they are in Au, I'll have an online store finished in the next few weeks. I'm looking at selling the first few at $55 including shipping and assembly. If anyone is interested in the mean time you can PM me, In the mean time I'll use a PayPal invoice so you get full buyer protection and no risk, after all buying from some forum random can be daunting! I do have an ABN [34 395 323 405] which will be used for the online store .

iSpindel_colours.png

Thanks for the suggestion Rusted.
I took myself off to the Juices section in Coles and there were various options. I settled on a bottle of Cranberry juice and the lid works perfectly. Cheers!

Have not given up on this purple iSpindel. I had a similar problem with orange iSpindel but fixed it by re-flashing the firmware. Thought I would try the same again on purple.

Anyway, firmware will not flash to purple. NodeMcu sits in "waiting" mode waiting the iSpindel. Putty logs shows the iSpindel looping through what looks to be the startup scripts. The iSpindel appears on the network and just as quickly disappears. Tried reset button 3-4 times and no change.

I would double check your startup logs. It might be crashing due to a missing OW sensor (your temp probe). It's a common issue which causes a reboot loop and can be because it's around the wrong way, a dry solder joint or faulty.

Thanks. A milk top is too small. I'm hoping bee2gee can respond with a specific suggestion given he makes them up himself.

I always get spares in which are free. If you contact me I can organise to send two spares out for the cost of postage $2.20 and the little CD case box from AusPost $1.50.

bee2gee,

Saw the posts here regarding the iSpindel from Cherry Philip. I bought a number of brewpiless boards from PCBWay that Cherry Philip shared. However, I have absolutely no documentation about the board. I see you have a way to communicate with Cherry. Can you help?

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike, what sort of troubles are you having? The PCBs should have screening on them to show which components go where including direction. He has shared a PDF in one of the past build versions as well, still quite relevant. Are you using any specific version?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5lwl436oonqsmnx/iSpindel PCB_assembly.pdf?dl=0

Sorry for the super late reply. I don't get emails from this forum very well :/ I can send you a kit locally if you haven't already sourced all the parts you're after.

Back