iSpindel Digital Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear all,
thank you for the links...
i installed the plugin. In the moment i think I'm using the wrong ip.....
I see an ip in the browser wich is different from an ip a see in an extra port scanner.
Even when i use the ip from the scanner ... no data in CBP .

How can i identify the correct IP?

When using my Spindel with Brewfather ... everything is ok.. so the spindle is OK:

Joachim

Lörrach ( in the south of Germany )

The IP address you would usually configure in the iSpindel should be that of your CBP setup. Without knowing your network topology, the IP of the iSpindel may change every 15 minutes when it re-associates with your network. This may be a question for the CBP folk.

It's a bit more technical, but I would suggest logging into your router device and assign DHCP reservations for both your Raspberry pi and iSpindel devices. That way you lock in the IP address they use, and you know exactly what IP addresses you are using.

Echoing what bee2gee said, I would have thought you'd put in your CBPi IP address into the iSpindel configuration (much like you do with BrewFather). And the CBPi iSpindel plug-in would just be listening to http posts from any IP address

I got my iSpindel working, but due to a lack of brewing I haven't set it up properly yet.

However, I am using it as a STEM project in my year 10 Science class. Part of the project is to redesign the sled to fit properly.

1554347001760.jpeg
1554347052094.jpeg
20190401_132948.jpeg
20190322_101032.jpeg

Anyone have the tcp server working and care to share an image. I have downloaded the image from homebrauer and tried updating it several times with no luck...also tried from scratch install..

Anyone have the tcp server working and care to share an image. I have downloaded the image from homebrauer and tried updating it several times with no luck...also tried from scratch install..
What do you need to know? It’s just a python script, mine tuns on the pi and starts from the startup script, I’ve also modified it to send mttq messages to my hassio box.

Well unfortunately the ispindel doesn't work in my all SS unitank fermenter.
It works outside, but the signal doesn't make it thru the steel walls to my router which is 10m away,

Today I bought a Tilt2 ($200 !!!!) because the iSpindel didnt work in my SS fermenter.
The Tilt2 does, so I now have
1 x spare iSpindel that I bought from bee2gee in February
2 x batteries
1 x Battery charger

Open to offers.
Location is SE Melbourne, and if you pickup you can sample a taste of my Bells Two Hearted IPA :)

Last edited:
the iSpindel didnt work in my SS fermenter.

Oh damn :( Try doing the whole electrical isolation? assuming it was also an external antenna/pro version as well. The WiFi and Bluetooth frequencies are pretty close together, both around 2.4ghz. Good to hear you got something working in the end though!

Today I bought a Tilt2 ($200 !!!!) because the iSpindel didnt work in my SS fermenter.
The Tilt2 does, so I now have
1 x spare iSpindel that I bought from bee2gee in February
2 x batteries
1 x Battery charger

Open to offers.
Location is SE Melbourne, and if you pickup you can sample a taste of my Bells Two Hearted IPA :)
Pm sent

I have both the ispindel and Plaato set up to Brewfather. I'd like to do a side by side comparison once both are set up accurately.

My issue is that my ispindel is not sending the temperature information. I've checked that the temperature sensor is working, and it responds to temperature change using the ispindel setup. I am fermenting in an SS brew bucket.

I have tried putting cardboard between the lid clips and the sides of the brew bucket, but that hasn't worked.

Anyone have this problem? Have a solution?

@McPhelly do you get the angle and no temp or neither reported? Where is your wifi router is relation to the brew chamber? You should definitely be able to get a reading out of stainless as long as you have some electrical isolation of the lid.

@McPhelly do you get the angle and no temp or neither reported? Where is your wifi router is relation to the brew chamber? You should definitely be able to get a reading out of stainless as long as you have some electrical isolation of the lid.

Getting angle but no temp, router is about 5-6m away with only 1 wall between router and fermenter

Getting angle but no temp, router is about 5-6m away with only 1 wall between router and fermenter

That's definitely a config type issue. If you're getting temp in AP mode as well as Brewfather seeing angle reported, there's no communication issue or problem with the temp probe. Running the latest iSpindel firmware? Had any luck with any other reporting apps/sites (Ubidots / brewersfriend) ?

Got my new iSpindel! Thanks Bee2Gee.

Got it in and all setup, but unfortunately the next issue is it doesn't get signal in the fermentation fridge. Looks like I will have to get a wifi extender.

Also I can highly recommend Brewers Chronicle, a great way to record those readings from the iSpindel :)

That's definitely a config type issue. If you're getting temp in AP mode as well as Brewfather seeing angle reported, there's no communication issue or problem with the temp probe. Running the latest iSpindel firmware? Had any luck with any other reporting apps/sites (Ubidots / brewersfriend) ?

Upgraded to latest firmware and magically the temp started being recorded

IMG_1770.jpg
!

Hey guys, can anyone tell me what my tilt formula is, as the gravity reading is wrong.

I have two readings:
  1. Tilt 39.28 (SG: 1044)
  2. Tilt 25.5 (SG: 1000)

After a few miss-starts finally getting my iSpindel sorted! First one I bought, I farked it by trying to jam the bloody thing into the tube. Tried to fix it, but alas it was more busted than first thought
sad.png

Bought another one and with a bit more care (and better instructions) I managed to set it up! Happy days. Next problem, WiFi doesn't reach into the solid fridge, inside the small shed, down the driveway. Shit! So saved up and bought a WiFi extender. Picked it up yesterday and set up last night.

Now finally, I can get readings via Brewers Chronicle! Now I have it working in a bucket of water, I'll put it in a ferment and really take it for a spin.

Was meant to be a relatively inexpensive exercise that has turned into an expensive exersice, but that's ok, we don't brew to save money right?

Back