iSpindel Digital Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is set to 15 min intervals however the WiFi power drops incredibly after about 3 or 4 days. From full charge for the first 3-4 days I can get a clear reading with the garage completely closed off. 3-6 days I need the garage door open a touch, and then after that it needs to be completely open.

Thomas, you need a repeater in that garage of yours, plugged in to a power point. See one of my earlier posts for the deets. You just need to buy an Wemos d1 mini for $4 off AliExpress as per the shopping list in the earlier posts, install that firmware and you’ll be set. No more open garage doors!

Anyone else having problems with the drawer.stl? I have downloaded a number of times and the file is reporting as being incomplete or corrupt on 2 different applications.
TIA

Yes. Had the same issue. Make sure you log in to GitHub to be able to download the file. If you look at what you are downloading, it’s an HTML page, that is why it is not working. Once you log in you get a proper download link. PM if you still can’t get it working.

I left my iSpindel on and wireless charging yesterday whilst I cleaned my fermenter. Made my next brew and put it in, but it seemed to have stopped sending to Ubidots an hour before I put it in. I took it out this morning and it won't turn on. It seems to charge fine. Has anyone encountered this issue before? I'll debug more tonight.

Yes. Had the same issue. Make sure you log in to GitHub to be able to download the file. If you look at what you are downloading, it’s an HTML page, that is why it is not working. Once you log in you get a proper download link. PM if you still can’t get it working.
Tried again, signed in and had the same result. The file I was trying to DL is https://github.com/universam1/iSpindel/blob/master/drawer/mwx-Edition/iSpindelBackbone2.stl. I had used MeshLab and Solidworks to try and open the file, but both failed.

But, I did eventually get it to work. The way I did this was by DL'ing the "raw" file here https://github.com/universam1/iSpindel/raw/master/drawer/mwx-Edition/iSpindelBackbone2.stl

:cheers:
Chris.

I left my iSpindel on and wireless charging yesterday whilst I cleaned my fermenter. Made my next brew and put it in, but it seemed to have stopped sending to Ubidots an hour before I put it in. I took it out this morning and it won't turn on. It seems to charge fine. Has anyone encountered this issue before? I'll debug more tonight.
Reflashing with the latest firmware seems to have fixed the issue

Reflashing with the latest firmware seems to have fixed the issue

Did you update the firmware before this? I guess not because you didn't have the drivers. There was a fix for what you described in the latest version. Weird that it just stopped. Anyway, glad it is back.
What are you brewing next?

Did you update the firmware before this? I guess not because you didn't have the drivers. There was a fix for what you described in the latest version. Weird that it just stopped. Anyway, glad it is back.
What are you brewing next?
Yeh I am not sure what it was running before, but I had never updated it. Took me 4hrs just to get the drivers installed lol. Not sure why it just stopped and if it was related to the battery or charging at all. Got there in the end though.

I've got an XPA that I only put in last night. Fermentation took off in under 24hrs which is the fastest I have had yet for the generic yeasts :D (I only do Extract at the moment)

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I saw Cherry Philip's new PCB and spoke with him to make some tweaks and integrate a battery holder so we're not longer having to solder batteries. These also fit in the XL Petlings instead of the XXL which you needed with the 3D printed sleds. My local brew club was keen on getting in on the action so I've bought enough bits and pieces for 50 of these units. I'm keen to help people in Aus buy from a local supplier at a reasonable cost and get their units within the week no matter where they are in Au, I'll have an online store finished in the next few weeks. I'm looking at selling the first few at $55 including shipping and assembly. If anyone is interested in the mean time you can PM me, In the mean time I'll use a PayPal invoice so you get full buyer protection and no risk, after all buying from some forum random can be daunting! I do have an ABN [34 395 323 405] which will be used for the online store .

iSpindel_colours.png

Here's an updated shopping list for AliExpress and XXL Petling tubes. I have used all of these and they are fit for purpose. Using this tube, you will have to trim about 2mm off the end of the tray to give it a snug fit.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC...le-Protection-Dual-Functions/32467578996.html (make sure you have a spare)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/A-Q...ceiver-For-Android-Phone-THL/32724345585.html (Model A!)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MPU...odule-3V-5V-compatible-For-Ar/1858984311.html (get 1 or 2 spares of these - failure rate seems high)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Nod...tes-Development-Board-Module/32703511086.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5PC...ermometer-Temperature-Sensor/32658602137.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32847923150.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...-Switch-Side-Knob-SK12D07VG3/32723161171.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fre...-Film-Resistor-1-10K-ohm-10K/32377250299.html (probably get these anywhere eg Jaycar)
http://www.geoshop.lt/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=242 (shipping is high but more units it becomes very economical)
When sourcing a 18650 battery, it is recommended to not get one with protection because it could interfere with the protection onboard the TP4056.
Enjoy!

So @bee2gee would these be a complete unit ready to go for $55?

Complete unit in XL petling ready to go and tested working. Will need a battery and the calibration completed. It's a bit tough to ship 18650 batteries so I've chosen not to offer them as an option.

I've had a few people interested, if you'd like one of these please confirm if you require a flat top or button top battery holder on the PCB and the colour you'd prefer; red, green, yellow, black, blue from the picture above.

I should have items out within the week, I'll give an estimate if there are any delays

Last edited:
Complete unit in XL petling ready to go and tested working. Will need a battery and the calibration completed. It's a bit tough to ship 18650 batteries so I've chosen not to offer them as an option.

I've had a few people interested, if you'd like one of these please confirm if you require a flat top or button top battery holder on the PCB and the colour you'd prefer; red, green, yellow, black, blue from the picture above.

I should have items out within the week, I'll give an estimate if there are any delays
bee2gee,
The designs that get rid of the tray are a great innovation. Who has a 3D printer lying around anyway, and its another part to wait and pay for. And the size reduction is welcome! From experience, different batteries have different weights which effect your ability to hit 25 degrees in tap water at ambient temp. Will you include a range of weights to balance the units as you are not supplying the battery?

Also, what you are offering sounds like a commercial endeavour, using open source IP. Do you plan to share your innovations back with the community? I really hope you have the iSpindel team's blessing...a lot of people have put a lot of time into the development of that code and selling that without permission is not cool. From ispindel.de:
license
Any commercial reproduction or use is prohibited in principle. Applicable patents are violated.
All rights reserverd, any commercial use is violated and patents.
When we are talking ABN, invoices and warranties, smells pretty commercial...

bee2gee,
Also, what you are offering sounds like a commercial endeavour, using open source IP. Do you plan to share your innovations back with the community? I really hope you have the iSpindel team's blessing...a lot of people have put a lot of time into the development of that code and selling that without permission is not cool. From ispindel.de:
license
Any commercial reproduction or use is prohibited in principle. Applicable patents are violated.
All rights reserverd, any commercial use is violated and patents.
When we are talking ABN, invoices and warranties, smells pretty commercial...

Due to not supplying batteries, weights aren't being included, they are also very cheap on eBay if needed. This PCB does sit quite close to 25 degrees with battery by default. If you do calibrate them at different SG values and update the calibration for the device, balancing may not be absolutely important given relatively close figures 22-28 degrees with good calibration.

100% agree with doing things in an open source manner. I am working on a site at the moment which will provide links to the various open source components which are in use, nothing is closed source. For example, if people wish to use the same boards I am and order them, everyone is very welcome to:
https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/New_iSpindel_PCB_2_1__new_TP4056_module_.html

Using the above ensures that Cherry Philip receives a small commission for his work and contribution whilst still making it available to anyone and everyone. Yes you can download the Gerbers and print your own, import, modify, make it yours, essentially the work we've done together is there for the community to use if they wish to.

The intention for me at least is to provide a local supply of kits and provide a build service if people don't have the equipment or time to do so. I am certainly not charging for, reproducing or modifying their software (Intellectual Property), only providing means for someone to be part of the project and a device where the software/firmware can be flashed onto. I personally don't feel by providing the means to use iSpindel that there would be any issues with the Open Source License, being a one stop shop, so to speak, versus; one of many AliExpress retailers, Jaycar, PCBWay/PCBS.io, people who offer 3D printing. The end result is similar, people are paying commercial entities for the equipment to use iSpindel, the difference here would be one entity versus many.

The use of an ABN and PayPal invoicing to start with is to ensure a consumer feels protected by local governance. I personally don't like sending money to strangers, however, when there is some additional accountability and consumer protection, I am much happier.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I saw Cherry Philip's new PCB and spoke with him to make some tweaks and integrate a battery holder so we're not longer having to solder batteries. These also fit in the XL Petlings instead of the XXL which you needed with the 3D printed sleds. My local brew club was keen on getting in on the action so I've bought enough bits and pieces for 50 of these units. I'm keen to help people in Aus buy from a local supplier at a reasonable cost and get their units within the week no matter where they are in Au, I'll have an online store finished in the next few weeks. I'm looking at selling the first few at $55 including shipping and assembly. If anyone is interested in the mean time you can PM me, In the mean time I'll use a PayPal invoice so you get full buyer protection and no risk, after all buying from some forum random can be daunting! I do have an ABN [34 395 323 405] which will be used for the online store .

iSpindel_colours.png
Thanks, I would like 1 unit as well with the raised top. I would PM you but can't see how to do it.

Hi All
I've sourced the parts as follows:
1 x Wemos D1R2
1 x GY-521
1 x 18B20 board

I've wired them up and downloaded the latest iSpindel bin file, can log into it to add the SSID and password. Ubidots token added as per my Ubidots API credentials.

When I'm in the config screen everything is working as per normal getting reading of the tilt, voltage and the temperature but for the life of me nothing is showing up in Ubidots. Is this supposed to appear automatically or do I need to set it up.
I've tried setting devices up but there appears to be nothing getting sent. Checked config file many times, checked the token many times. I'm really lost to what to try next.

Any help appreciated in advance.

Hi All
I've tried setting devices up but there appears to be nothing getting sent. Checked config file many times, checked the token many times. I'm really lost to what to try next.

Time sometimes helps with these, I've always left mine on for a little while and come back to results. Sometimes if the API key / device ID is wrong you can have issues as well.

Hi All
I've sourced the parts as follows:
1 x Wemos D1R2
1 x GY-521
1 x 18B20 board

I've wired them up and downloaded the latest iSpindel bin file, can log into it to add the SSID and password. Ubidots token added as per my Ubidots API credentials.

When I'm in the config screen everything is working as per normal getting reading of the tilt, voltage and the temperature but for the life of me nothing is showing up in Ubidots. Is this supposed to appear automatically or do I need to set it up.

Any help appreciated in advance.

Try upgrading to the latest firmware. There was a bug with an earlier version which sounded exactly like your problem. Let us know how you go.

Hey Guys,

iSpindel_colours.png

Hey bee2gee,

I've got most of the parts to make myself 5x units, but only 2x printed sleds. I got most of them almost a year ago, including the old style PCB https://pcbs.io/share/8gbKR

Would you be willing to sell 1x assembled unit along with 4x single PCBs, so that I can assemble my own using the parts I've acquired and your assembly as a physical guide?

Cheers,

Matt

Hey bee2gee,

I've got most of the parts to make myself 5x units, but only 2x printed sleds. I got most of them almost a year ago, including the old style PCB https://pcbs.io/share/8gbKR

Would you be willing to sell 1x assembled unit along with 4x single PCBs, so that I can assemble my own using the parts I've acquired and your assembly as a physical guide?
Matt

No problem, I'll send you a PM. I'll just pass on my cost of the PCBs, I ordered 50 which was their limit of their cheapest freight so I got them quite cheap, happy to pass on the saving!

Back