iSpindel Digital Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One last thing can we trim sg and abv to 4 decimal places?

Sweet that looks good. Yeh the gravity is only correct if you set the formula in the iSpindel config. I didn't do that originally so I am still using the Plato derived function just because I am too lazy to change it over.

Remember to change the 1.045 value to your first hydrometer reading when you do your next brew :)

One last thing can we trim sg and abv to 4 decimal places?
Yes, but you do that from your dashboard, not from the device settings.
Go Create Widget -> Metric -> Last Value
After you have created your widget, hit the down arrow on it, and then click on Settings
|number:2 is how many decimal places it should show.

You can also do calculations like I have done:
upload_2018-8-14_12-28-24.png

This means a gravity of 1.0147 will actually display as 14.7
upload_2018-8-14_12-29-18.png

Ok makes more sense changing the 1.045 to the sg of each brew :) do you you know how to trim decimal place when using a table? I go to setting but I don't see any way of doing it..

That wifi repeater sounds like just the ticket to get wifi to powerless shed. Wonder if I could run it off a battery...
I would guess that it wouldn't last long on battery. It needs to run constantly so I imagine it would chew threw the power pretty quick. You could try one of these - https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/396685 or the 20,000mAh even better.
I am working on a solar solution at the moment for another project. Totally agricultural, but I have solar panel from a dead garden light which runs 12V, plus an old stripped down car cigarette lighter adapter to convert from 12V to USB, in to a TP4056 left over from my iSpindel build, charging an 18650. It is working nicely in the sun today and charging the battery, but no idea whether the solar panel will be enough (especially in Melbourne) to keep the battery topped up.
I think we are still on topic....

Is anyone using the tcp server? If so do you know how to connect to it from outside the home network? I forwardered the port changed protocol in ispindle to http and added ip and port to server adress but nothing. No data..

Sounds like some knowledgeable peeps in here. Will I be able to post readings to somewhere else apart from ubidots? I'm probably capable of some C programming (assuming that is what firmware is written in), although i have a guy at work who could get stuff worked out if my C#/VB.Net brain is just not capable... :)

I have my own website which allows users to add hot side and cold side readings (and a bunch more stuff). It would be awesome to have a device that takes readings and feeds them into my website. I don't have an external API yet, but am capable of implementing one. Just need to know that this device firmware could be altered to feed readings into my website instead of ubidots.

@Weizenbonk: if readings can be fed into custom web-api, I'd like to grab all 4 you have spare

Last edited:
Is anyone using the tcp server? If so do you know how to connect to it from outside the home network? I forwardered the port changed protocol in ispindle to http and added ip and port to server adress but nothing. No data..

Can I recommend that even if you can get this working - which should be just a config on your router with port forwarding, assuming it works locally - you do not do that. These services are not hardened enough to open up to the big bad internet.

Sounds like some knowledgeable peeps in here. Will I be able to post readings to somewhere else apart from ubidots? I'm probably capable of some C programming (assuming that is what firmware is written in), although i have a guy at work who could get stuff worked out if my C#/VB.Net brain is just not capable... :)

I have my own website which allows users to add hot side and cold side readings (and a bunch more stuff). It would be awesome to have a device that takes readings and feeds them into my website. I don't have an external API yet, but am capable of implementing one. Just need to know that this device firmware could be altered to feed readings into my website instead of ubidots.

@Weizenbonk: if readings can be fed into custom web-api, I'd like to grab all 4 you have spare

Good question, one I am looking at as well at the moment. I just noticed yesterday that the new firmware includes MQTT which is pretty cool. I run OpenHAB so will feed in nicely to a brewhouse sitemap I am building with my 5 kegs in the keezer volume measurer already up and running.
Ubidots is fine but the interface is a bit limited and it’s initially free and then requires ‘in-app’ purchases. I guess it does make it easy to do the Plato to SG calc.
Here is the list of supported services:
Ubidots
Craftbrewpi / fermentrack
HTTP (json or csv)
Tcontrol
FHEM
TCP
Influxdb
Prometheus
MQTT

Gotta be one that suits.

Can I recommend that even if you can get this working - which should be just a config on your router with port forwarding, assuming it works locally - you do not do that. These services are not hardened enough to open up to the big bad internet.
Bugger ok yea works local port is open according to port forward.com but no data. Is there a http /tcp server up to the task you would recomend instead?

Good question, one I am looking at as well at the moment. I just noticed yesterday that the new firmware includes MQTT which is pretty cool. I run OpenHAB so will feed in nicely to a brewhouse sitemap I am building with my 5 kegs in the keezer volume measurer already up and running.
Ubidots is fine but the interface is a bit limited and it’s initially free and then requires ‘in-app’ purchases. I guess it does make it easy to do the Plato to SG calc.
Here is the list of supported services:
HTTP (json or csv)

Gotta be one that suits.

Bingo, I'd be accepting readings via json over http.

How much did you want for your spares? And would they include all required components?

Bingo, I'd be accepting readings via json over http.

How much did you want for your spares? And would they include all required components?

Should be a very power efficient way to go, I was reading MQTT is pretty power hungry. My last batch just finishing up and the ispindel ran for a month with 60 second updates, and still got a bit in the tank. If I drop that back to 15 minutes I will have plenty of juice for MQTT.
If you just want parts, then hit AliExpress using the shopping list in the previous post. I also put up a link to a soldering guide. It is pretty easy to assemble if you have basic soldering skills. Plenty of people here have build experience if you run into trouble. Just a tip, a third hand is a great investment... oh and buy spares of the cheaper parts because they are sometimes DOA and take ages to replace.
I helped a few guys out who didn’t want to tackle the soldering part, I would need to do a stocktake if you were wanting the same as I have used some parts on other projects. Just PM me if you do.

I am not technically savvy. Is there anywhere I can purchase the ispindel with wireless charging already assembled and calibrated?

My last batch just finishing up and the ispindel ran for a month with 60 second updates, and still got a bit in the tank. If I drop that back to 15 minutes I will have plenty of juice for MQTT.
Mine is set to 15 min intervals however the WiFi power drops incredibly after about 3 or 4 days. From full charge for the first 3-4 days I can get a clear reading with the garage completely closed off. 3-6 days I need the garage door open a touch, and then after that it needs to be completely open.

Anyone else having problems with the drawer.stl? I have downloaded a number of times and the file is reporting as being incomplete or corrupt on 2 different applications.
TIA

I am not technically savvy. Is there anywhere I can purchase the ispindel with wireless charging already assembled and calibrated?

Hmmm... what about a Tilt? They are available at grain and grape for around the $200 mark I think. My issue with them is that they are Bluetooth not wifi and I would be surprised if it was strong enough to get out of a kegmenter.
ISpindel would require you to get your hands a bit dirty but it’s nothing too scary.
I have enough slow to arrive parts now to make 5 of these puppies. If I get 5 people interested I will pull the trigger on the expensive bits like batteries and 3D printing the trays. PM me if interested.

Should have elaborated meant home server..

Fermentrack looks good. I have installed it and tried it out but I want a way of displaying the volume of beer in my kegs in the keezer, so I am going to be using openHAB talking over MQTT. I am not sure whether it would be safe to open fermentrack to the Internet, you would need to check that.

Latest posts

Back