iSpindel Digital Hydrometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will post up parts today so you can get started.

Best investment I made for this project is a "third hand" with a magnifying glass. I grabbed one from jaycar for $20. It makes soldering so much easier.

I was going to brew this arvo but I am not sure I'll muster the energy after a bucks show yesterday, should get some time to get the guide started

Since 1996, you are missing out... lots happening in Newy these days :)

Just ordered some PCB's for this .... do you happen to have the parts list needed? I'll look to build a few of these :)

Ordered most of the components tonight also.

I'm horribly confused over which containers to order and what the matching sled is I'd need to get printed.

Can anyone suggest known working combinations?

Last edited:
Was a bit confused about how to attach the switch (and what the switch is for).

The width between the pin holes does not line up with my board at all.

(I didn't buy the pre-made pcb board. I've been trying to do it all from scratch).

So I gave up and have given it to someone else to do for me.

Depend on the switch you get. I made my first one with a perf board. Needed to drill some bigger holes to get the switches I have to fit. Have since gone to the preprinted ones. Will prob have to do something similar for these as well as I didn't get the exact ones

There may be cheaper places and I got a few items in bulk but all of these parts I can confirm are working!

More to come...

The data below is not real for anything except the temp on fermenter 1. I need to calibrate the hydrometers and I have just finished the other two temp controllers. I'm running brewpiless and logging the data from brewpiless up to ubidots. I was pretty happy to get this working so thought I would post it.

I have a little bit more work to do with the calibration to get them in to production (tomorrow night) and then I will do a thorough write up on how to get to here!

upload_2017-9-19_0-0-8.png

Hey everyone.

Joined after finding your forum which I used to help me set up my ispindel (still not working yet, hopefully tomorrow!) and saw the info about getting it working with a brewpi. I am in the process of getting it working and wanted to make you aware. https://github.com/charliwest/brewpi-www https://github.com/charliwest/brewpi-scripts and soon https://github.com/charliwest/brewpi-docker.

This is a bit early as I thought I was finisihed until I spoke to elco who pointed out some issues and how docker would actually make it much easier! But if you know anything about python etc maybe you can also help me getting it working ;)

Thanks for the help you gave with previous posts and take a look at my github repos if you think they might help you with getting even more data about your brew! Cheers

Moad - which sled did you end up getting printed to work with your set up?

So i noticed that there's a few people building these and was thinking about building one myself, but it's tempting to ask if others would sell one of their surplus builds...stuff it I'll ask.

Anyone got one for sale? Alternatively, all the parts in a kit?

This is a brilliant project. Paiakan that is a brilliant addition.

After a 10 year break from brewing to have kids and family craftbeerpi and projects such as this have changed my drinking issues into a nice past time.

Latest posts

Back