Isb Brewday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gav

Schofferhofferwofferdoffer is one of the more restrained hefe's and doesn't really have the upfront clove/banana in it, does to an extent but it's more restrained than say a Schneider Weisse or Weihenstephen hefeweizen. The Weihenstephen one uses the same yeast that you used (weihenstephen W-68/WLP300/WY3068) that does show a lot of banana and clove when fermented at a high temp (over 20C). If it was under 20C then you will get more clove, over 20C you get more banana. There's heaps of threads on it. Another thing you can do when you want really heavy ester flavour (banana etc) is underpitch the yeast, which will stress out the yeast and cause it to create a lot of esters.

A weizen should have a pretty explosive level of carbonation, about 3 volumes is what you want to give a huge head and a tart refreshing taste.

On another matter altogether, i bottled the Hopburst this morning after the ferment has finished, i ended up dryhopping my 22L batch with 20g amarillo and 20g simcoe over the long weekend. Tasted maybe a bit too hoppy after all that, but should be good after some time in the bottle :)

now that i have a steady inflow of bottles , i will start brewing the hopburst later in the week, am i guessin correctly to make it up to 23ltrs with water ??

now that i have a steady inflow of bottles , i will start brewing the hopburst later in the week, am i guessin correctly to make it up to 23ltrs with water ??

About 20L is more like it, it ended up a bit low on SG when i did it to about 22-23L or so, added some dextrose to get it to 1048. About 20L would be perfect for about 1050 SG.

sweet !! will probably put it on tonight or tomorrow arvo ....

My version of the hopburst is now (virtually) ready to drink - i had a schooner last night and i can say it's quite a tasty drop. In the end my version was diluted to 22L, had 375g Dextrose added to it, and i dry hopped with 20g Simcoe and 20g Amarillo for a few days before bottling. Still needs a couple more days to carbonate.

The Trad Ale and caramunich has given it a full-on toasty flavour - it's sort of like an SNPA clone on malt steroids. :super: Mine came to about 6% alcohol in the end!

Should we organise a small swap of 6 stubbies or just leave it for the next meet so we can do a tasting session? I'm interested to see how the Wheat turned out especially with WLP300.

Who else has finished and bottled/kegged their respective batches?

im in for a swap but havent started fermentation yet , have a pilsner on the go at present , when thats over the hopburst gets its turn ....

Kegged about 12 litres and bottled 2 yesterday, no dilution, smelt like pineapple to me, Dry hopped with Cascade and amarillo. Can't wait to pull the first schooner.

My hopburst is still in the cube in my brew cupboard.

Getting a fermentating fridge delivered today via my boss(great fella) however then have to organise for it to get up the stairs as his happy to drop it off but not happy to shift it up the stairs.

dont take it upstairs it belongs in the brew shed up the back !!!

Nah I to many bits and peices in the kitchen that I require.

u'll have to come and have a geeze at it.

Just gotta get my bro over so we can cart her on up as she is one heavy *******!

Hi guys,

Got the weiz in today. I did something funny with it though.

I've had a spare fluid filter sitting out in the backyard for a bit and I've wanted to rig it up as a beer filter so I did that and ran it through prior to filling the 7 litre keg. I've bottled the rest (about 17 odd long necks) unfiltered which should be truer to style. Be interesting to try the difference though.

Seemed a pretty good balance of 'nana and the hops for mine, very happy straight out of the fermenter

After managing to free up a fermenter, I put down the brewday heffe last night. I diluted it a bit to get 19l @ 1045. As I know stuart used the american heffe & gav went the traditional route, I thought I'd be a bit different & used US56. <_< Hopefully it will end up a nice summer thirst quencher. :beer:

I'll definitely bottle a few so we can have a comparison of the same brew with different yeasts. :party:

I notice that mike is drinking the hopburst - So how is it? How is everyone elses cubes going? DC82 & barramundi, have you pitched yours yet?

Crozdog

DJR gave me a sample of the hopburst that he fermented and I must say I was impressed. I think he dry hopped it as well and it was good and hoppy. :chug:

I've turned half of mine into cherry wheat so we may have four different wheats to try, and four hopbursts. Got to make sure we all leave enough of it for a good taste test one day. :party:

Yeah, it's good. Needed some dry hopping to balance the malt flavour (there was a lot of caramunich in it!). It will probably be better after a litle bit in bottles, bit young at the moment, and i bottled it about 3 weeks ago! I ended up dry hopping with 20g of Simcoe and 20g of Amarillo, probably the most oily, piney, grapefruity hops you could use for that purpose :)

But it's turned out well, i've entered it in the castle hill show comp as an American IPA since it was quite hoppy. When you guys come round to pick up your share of the grain you can try a bit.

havent brewed mine yet , still brewing for swaps etc
its next in the queue though ...

Croz, its pretty powerful stuff. Big on flavour and not too bitter. I dry hopped twice, once in the primary with NZ cascade and in the secondary with Amarillo, smelt like pineapple when I first kegged it. Its at full strength and definately a sipping beer.

Got to make sure we all leave enough of it for a good taste test one day. :party:

Been sampling the keg,is very very tasty, hard to keep my hands of it. Difficult to try and gas it up heavily in the keg though. Haven't tried anything out of the bottle yet.

Have we confimed the next meet??

I think we're booked in for the 4th November, an afternoon BBQ at DJR's house seemed to win the votes. Better get moving to organise it I guess. Now, what do we need? Mmm, beer. :chug: :party:

Back