Isb Brewday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, lots of beer. Check. Sausages, Steak, hardened arteries, is there anything i'm missing? Blackjack? Hookers?

:beer:

Definitely on, i'd say we'll have a 12pm start on the 4th, so that everyone can get to anywhere they need to be at a reasonable time. I'll be leaving about 5-6pm for a high school reunion, ain't it sad!

And if anyone's considering judging at the Castle Hill show, that's on on the 5th only now, so the 4th should all be free for everyone.

If there's anyone that hasn't picked up grain (redbeard and EB) by that point they can grab it then. We might even have the US hops bulk buy in by then :beerbang:

Looking forward to meeting everyone. Assume partners are welcome too - she loves drinking the stuff, but I can't convince her to take an interest in brewing! I'll pick up my grain next week, DJR.

I just bottled a kit wheat beer. It might have a minor infection but I will see in a few weeks. Just starting to think about my brews for Christmas. I have no fridge, so only ales, but has anyone any suggestions? I was thinking an oatmeal stout and maybe something German like an altbier or some other malty brew. What do you guys want to try in the meet after next?

Looking forward to meeting everyone. Assume partners are welcome too - she loves drinking the stuff, but I can't convince her to take an interest in brewing! I'll pick up my grain next week, DJR.

I just bottled a kit wheat beer. It might have a minor infection but I will see in a few weeks. Just starting to think about my brews for Christmas. I have no fridge, so only ales, but has anyone any suggestions? I was thinking an oatmeal stout and maybe something German like an altbier or some other malty brew. What do you guys want to try in the meet after next?

I'm sure partners are fine.

While I love darker beers, I'm brewing lighter bodied things right now for the hotter weather. Wheat beers are perfect, APAs etc. Maybe a belgian pale ale would be special for Xmas. Actually, an alt is not too heavy so that might be good too. How about a nice IIPA to blow your socks off. :lol:

Just starting to think about my brews for Christmas. I have no fridge, so only ales, but has anyone any suggestions? I was thinking an oatmeal stout and maybe something German like an altbier or some other malty brew. What do you guys want to try in the meet after next?

Ales are actually pretty varied when you get into it, you could do a Kolsch which is almost exactly the same as a lager anyway, or you could use the WLP060 American Blend yeast which comes out very lager like for an ale yeast. But APA's and Hefeweizens are perfect for summer and don't need any special treatment. With the grain you are getting Altbier would be very doable, as would an APA. Get some wheat malt or unmalted and you can do Belgian wits. I'm sure we can give you plenty of ideas at the meet.

Now i have to find some extra seats and tables for all you guys!

Hey guys

Just to start this subforum off i thought i'd summarise what's happening on this Saturday, at Gavin abfalter's place, 29 Macquarie Rd, Earlwood. Kickoff from about 10.30-11ish except for us early birds who will be getting there earlier to set up.

Bring along a couple of bottles of your finest, a sense of humour and some sunscreen knowing the weather! Bring along some BBQ food and nibblies if you can as well, it won't go astray.

We are mashing 7 cubes worth of wort: 4 cubes of Hopburst, and 3 cubes of the American Wheat. The final bill for the batches is:

American Wheat

5kg JW Pilsner
5kg JW Wheat
2kg JW Vienna

Hops: 30g Taurus 14.8% 60 mins, 40g AU Tettnanger leaf at 15mins and 5 mins.

Method: Split batch - 9kg of grain gets a single infusion 67C or so for an hour, then batch sparging (to get about 60L of wort before we start boiling!), while the other 3kg goes into a pot for a protein rest, then raised to 67C for saccarification rest, then boiled for half an hour or so, then 3kg of grain with water comes from the main mash into this mash for the final saccarification at 72C or so. Sounds complicated but it's actually a simple way to do it with so much grain.

The yeast for this is up to whoever takes the wort, but a suitable choice would be WLP320 American Wheat which Stuart is culturing up.

Hopburst

Note that this is not a "true" hopburst because it doesn't follow the 30,25,20,15,10,5,0 hop addition schedule. But with about 300g or so of US hops in it, it will be pretty out there.

I can't remember exact specifics on this recipe, so this is rough.

The grains:

~18kg of JW Trad Ale
~1.5kg of Weyermann Caramunich

Hops:

Amarillo,Simcoe,Cascade mix at FWH, 60mins, 30mins, 15mins, 5mins and at flameout.

Yeast again is up to owner's discretion, personally i am going to use a mix of WLP036 Alt and US56, i think DC82 (Ben H) is doing it with WLP029, and that leaves 2 different choices. The right choice of course is US56, but a lager yeast might also do alright.

The cube takers are

Barramundi (Ned) - Hopburst
DC82 (Ben H) - Hopburst
DJR (Ben S) - Hopburst
Mikem108 (Mike) - Hopburst

Stuster (Stuart) - Wheat
Crozdog (Philip) - Wheat
abfalter (Gavin) - Wheat

For those of you taking a cube the cube cost in the end is about $15. If you are contributing ingredients your cost is reduced. There is a calculation that myself, Stuart and Philip have done to work out everybody's costs, but suffice to say the most anyone will pay is about $15 for their 20L of beer (concentrated to 15L). If you would like to know exactly how much before the day, let me know.

That's it, see you guys on Saturday, should be a good day :beer:

Any of the old guard still about?

Hi Guys. Back brewing, any of the old ISB crowd still about, or any brewers for that matter around Liverpool/Sutherland?

Back