Isb Brewday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJR

I'm out
Reaction score
Hey guys

Just to start this subforum off i thought i'd summarise what's happening on this Saturday, at Gavin abfalter's place, 29 Macquarie Rd, Earlwood. Kickoff from about 10.30-11ish except for us early birds who will be getting there earlier to set up.

Bring along a couple of bottles of your finest, a sense of humour and some sunscreen knowing the weather! Bring along some BBQ food and nibblies if you can as well, it won't go astray.

We are mashing 7 cubes worth of wort: 4 cubes of Hopburst, and 3 cubes of the American Wheat. The final bill for the batches is:

American Wheat

5kg JW Pilsner
5kg JW Wheat
2kg JW Vienna

Hops: 30g Taurus 14.8% 60 mins, 40g AU Tettnanger leaf at 15mins and 5 mins.

Method: Split batch - 9kg of grain gets a single infusion 67C or so for an hour, then batch sparging (to get about 60L of wort before we start boiling!), while the other 3kg goes into a pot for a protein rest, then raised to 67C for saccarification rest, then boiled for half an hour or so, then 3kg of grain with water comes from the main mash into this mash for the final saccarification at 72C or so. Sounds complicated but it's actually a simple way to do it with so much grain.

The yeast for this is up to whoever takes the wort, but a suitable choice would be WLP320 American Wheat which Stuart is culturing up.

Hopburst

Note that this is not a "true" hopburst because it doesn't follow the 30,25,20,15,10,5,0 hop addition schedule. But with about 300g or so of US hops in it, it will be pretty out there.

I can't remember exact specifics on this recipe, so this is rough.

The grains:

~18kg of JW Trad Ale
~1.5kg of Weyermann Caramunich

Hops:

Amarillo,Simcoe,Cascade mix at FWH, 60mins, 30mins, 15mins, 5mins and at flameout.

Yeast again is up to owner's discretion, personally i am going to use a mix of WLP036 Alt and US56, i think DC82 (Ben H) is doing it with WLP029, and that leaves 2 different choices. The right choice of course is US56, but a lager yeast might also do alright.

The cube takers are

Barramundi (Ned) - Hopburst
DC82 (Ben H) - Hopburst
DJR (Ben S) - Hopburst
Mikem108 (Mike) - Hopburst

Stuster (Stuart) - Wheat
Crozdog (Philip) - Wheat
abfalter (Gavin) - Wheat

For those of you taking a cube the cube cost in the end is about $15. If you are contributing ingredients your cost is reduced. There is a calculation that myself, Stuart and Philip have done to work out everybody's costs, but suffice to say the most anyone will pay is about $15 for their 20L of beer (concentrated to 15L). If you would like to know exactly how much before the day, let me know.

That's it, see you guys on Saturday, should be a good day :beer:

Improvement of connection of pot to CFWC is complete, silicone hose and a quick connector, removes the strain from the copper pipe which I used to screw directly to the front.

DJR, we could heat the initial mash water in this baby if you want. IMG_0194.JPG

Lads,
looking forward to a top day brewin. I've got most of the rig packed up ready to go, just gotta find the sunscreen.... & fill the gas bottle.

Re the hopburst, the recipe Stuart & I worked on was as follows:
Grain
14.5kg JW Trad Ale
2.25kg JW Light Munich
0.75kg Weyermann Caramunich I

Hops
@40 mins
Amarillo pellet 9.4% 25.0 g
Simcoe pellet 12.0% 25.0 g
Cascade pellet 6.0% 25.0 g
@30 mins
Amarillo pellet 9.4% 20.0 g
Simcoe pellet 12.0% 20.0 g
Cascade pellet 6.0% 20.0 g
@15 mins
@5mins
@0mins
total hops 315.0 g!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simple single step infusion mash using batch sparge to end up with 60l (4 x 15l cubes) @ 1.065.

Come on Saturday!

Beers

Crozdog

Reading all this makes me feel like the amaeture I am :(

Mike - might be a good idea to heat the water in that puppy. We'll see though, i'm sure there will be no shortage of pots!

Crozdog - remember to go to the BP at summer hill, $14 for a 9kg refill! I think the 40min hops are FWH as well if you're reading the recipe i altered.

Reading all this makes me feel like the amaeture I am :(

Don't dump on yourself DC. - you haven't met me or seen my rig yet!! :D It was not that long ago when I was still K&King. I suppose AGing is a bit like sex, you dunno what to expect before you try it, then once you start, not only is it easy, but you don't want to stop. :ph34r:

It all relates to the four states of "consciousness and competence" that you pass through as you learn something. The 4 stages are

1stly you are unconsciously incompetent - you don't know what you don't know eg someone who hasn't thought of brewing their own beer).
2ndly you become consciously incompetent - you know that you don't know things.
3rdly you become consciously competent - you know that you know stuff
4thly, when you don't have to think about what you are doing you are unconsciously competent

Here is some detail.

As far as AGing goes, I reckon that you'd qualify as being consciously incompetent, whilst others such as myself are consciously competent. There are a few AHB members who are probably unconsciously competent (thats my percecption based purely on the prizes they win & the quality of the info in their posts - sorry no names).

Sorry for the lesson / thread hijack, but this is 1 thing I do remember from Uni....

Crozdog

Guys I know I am a bit of an amaeture but 25g Simco with each of the additions at 12% seems like it would create a very, very bitter beer....

How many IBUs are we looking @?

Also picked up some u beaut sausages, so I hope we are all hungry.

It should be drinkable, DC. It's four cubes remember, and the idea is to dilute them to 20L so we are making a 80+L batch. All the hops are added late in the boil (or FWH) and so there won't be as much bitterness as added as you'd imagine. When diluted, the beer should be about 1048 and 43IBUs. Definitely hoppy, but hopefully not too bitter.

No dramas buddy..... Just thought I'd pipe up incase there was a typo.

A big thanks to everyone that came down today and made the brewday a success... Looks like even though we were a bit short on planning we still made it happen and got our 7 cubes of wort.

I would put up pictures but i took about 3 of the equipment before we started and that was it!

Great day guys well done to those that had a hand in organizing it all , and a massive thanks to Gavin , Katie and the Young Abfalter 3 For Puttin up with us all for the best part of the day ...

Lookin Forward to ISB BREWDAY II

**gotta buy some yeast today to get the hopburst bubblin away, i believe US56 is the recommended for that brew any comments from the brewers appreciated ??

Great day guys well done to those that had a hand in organizing it all , and a massive thanks to Gavin , Katie and the Young Abfalter 3 For Puttin up with us all for the best part of the day ...

Lookin Forward to ISB BREWDAY II

**gotta buy some yeast today to get the hopburst bubblin away, i believe US56 is the recommended for that brew any comments from the brewers appreciated ??

Yeah US56 would be the go for that one. Not sure when the brewday Mk II is going to happen but we can learn from the experience and hopefully brew a 3rd batch next time! Hopefully everybody's batches are going to be ready soon so we can taste the results.

I just put on the Hopburst, topped it up to about 22L and the SG was about 1044 - i added a bit of dextrose to get the SG up, but i think i added too much water. Smelt and tasted really good - i think our bitterness was pretty much spot on what we calculated. Great colour too.

Great day provided plenty of inspiration for myself and always good to pick the brains of some of the more experienced guys.

Good on ya gav for providing your place for us all! And well done to DJR, Stuster, Mike and Phil for doing the bulk of the work(sorry if I forgot someone.)

Thanks to everyone for making it such a great day. Can't wait to line up the beers and see how they turned out post fermentation and try "underletting" on my next brew.

The cube was cool enough after a night in the fridge about 18C. Drained the Hopburst into a clean fermenter with a few teaspoons of 56 from the bottom of a freshly racked beer, was bubbling nicely this morning, thank God for the cool change. Should make keeping the temp under control a bit more bearable.
The aerated wort was smelling awesome, so I put more hops in there :p

For next time please allow me to demonstrate fly sparging, and more convincing use of the chiller!

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

Did anyone get a photo of the 6 cubes all lined up in a row?

Hi guys,

Top day or what! Excellent to met some of you for the 1st time & catch up with the rest. Some nice beers being produced in the inner & southern suburbs of Sydney I must say. :beer:

Thanks Gav & Katie for having us all around, much appreciated. My wife asked me when everyone was coming to our place.... seems like a green light to me. :super:

I've posted my pics in the gallery here

Mods, please move this if you don't think it a suitable location. Maybe like the club sub-forum, you could have a club photos branch. Just a suggestion.

Ben, I don't think we did get a pic of all the cubes lined up, i know I didn't.

My heffe is still in the cube as I brewed up a lager yesterday for the xmas case. I needed the ferment fridge for it so I can get it CCing ASAP.

Beers
crozdog

No pictures, sorry. Just a tad busy on the day so forgot to take any photos. Top day though. Lots of good beer. I especially remember Laurent's Belgian stout. :super:

Started my cube last night. Topped up to 17L with some 2nd generation American wheat yeast (WLP320) straight from the fridge. Cold pitching certainly works and I'm glad there wasn't any more wort in there as the krausen's now right at the top of the 30L fermeter. Time for a blow tube I think.

Would like to see a demo of fly sparging, Mike, but chillers are nothing but trouble. :lol:

Not enough hops, Mike? :eek: What hops did you add?

Not that is wasn't enough but I added 50gms Cascade Flowers! and no water. Will dilute after fermentataion, then again this should be a nice IPA undiluted anyway.

I'd really like to try all the different beers people have made. I'm sure they'll all come out quite differently based on which yeast we use/dilution/more hops etc.

Would anybody else be interested in a swap involving the people who got a cube? Just a stubby of each beer would be a nice little six pack swap. What do you think?

Latest posts

Back