Isb Bragot Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the bottles ive cracked of both yeasts have been great. nice and smooth

My braggot is getting there but I'd say it's still got a bit more maturing to do. A smaller beer than yours, Jye, at only 8.4%. I did make another braggot in the middle of last year which was more along the right lines at 12.3% which is drinking well at the moment. I'd say the more recent one will take a bit of time partly because I used the French Saison yeast. :ph34r: What yeast did you use?

I went with Farmhouse Ale (Wyeast Labs #3726), a link to the recipe is in my sig.

Mine's a bit of a wierd beast at this point.
Last time I cracked a bottle (about a month ago), I got plenty of Belgian yeast phenolics, slight ripe fruitiness, and a dry sort of finish. Honey really blends in the the malt, makes it seem more like a Belgian strong blonde than anything else.

Anyone had theirs lately? Mine wound up being fermented with Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong yeast.

I had two stubbies earlier this evening. They were fairly enjoyable.

Pretty dry, almost wine like at the moment. Still a honey character coming through. But having had very few if any braggots, I don't know what I should be tasting in the first place.

sounds about right josh,
i think ive still got bottles in there somewhere. might have to have a dig and see what i can find

What a coincidence...I just pulled out a stubbie of this beer out of the cellar for today.
Tried one a couple of months ago and was quite pleased...almost like a Belgian tripel with a defined note of floral honey.
It's still drinking quite youthful now that I think about it. Might have to lock a couple away for 5+ years.
Certainly has a good kick of alcohol to it.

must almost be time for another batch what do you all think?

I worked 16 hours on New Years Eve and got home to pretty much no fresh beer. So I raided the cupboard and discovered one of these bottles hiding away. 9 year old braggot fermented with Belgian Strong Ale yeast.

Colour is a deep Amber, light medium carbonation. Thin persistent head. No honey in the aroma. Mostly Belgian yeast. There's a gentle alcohol sweet flavour up front. Taste the Belgian yeast. And then finishes dry. A little cidery.

Couldn't believe I even had a bottle of this here. And even more glad it's actually drinkable.

2dj79qt.jpg

bgoh6u.jpg

As it warms up I taste more honey. And it is a lot smother too. I would love to find another bottle. Happy New Year 2018.

Back