Isb Bragot Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
damn that would be interesting, so far ive heard a sweet mead, saison and irish ale.
look forward to seeing you all tomorrow.
p.s as stu said no need for a container for honey as its now being added to the end of the boil

well its done. we all had fun. id like to thank croz and redbeard for helping me. i hope every one enjoys theirs. ill post the recipe in s couple of days as well as how we did on efficency.

Thanks for organising this fellas

It was great to see 150+ litres boiling away

Thinking of giving the American Ale II yeast a go with the braggot - any thoughts?

What was the final recipe for this batch?

Cheers

I've had my share of the braggot fermenting away for a few days now.
Put it into the fermenter on Thursday the 11th with a good 500ml starter of WLP500.
The OG was around 1.064, and i'm down to 1.010 right now.
Had a taste and its like nothing i've ever come across. Bit of honey and malt in the background, but flavours i'd best liken to ripe apricot, pot pouri and rosewater upfront. An interesting experiment nonetheless. Can't wait to bottle it!

just put mine down, how is everyone else's going with the exception of schooey as i still have his.

Still fermenting away.
Around 1.005 last reading. The alcohol is noticable and its got a bit of a full on phenolic flavour about it.
Any advice on how long I should let it mature for Barls?

the last one is just 5 months old so about that time maybe longer

checked the main batch its down to 1004 ill leave it another week and then start with cold conditioning

i racked mine to secondary today. the second batch is still bubbling.

Just checked mine - down to 0.999 with Wyeast 1272

What's the go with carbonation for a braggot? Not having actually sampled the style I'm not sure what carbonation to aim for - the guidelines don't offer much info

Any suggestions will be much appreciated

Cheers

i usually prime high about 8-10 g/L but i use champagne bottles and cork

Reviving an old thread here, but I still haven't pitched my braggot yet and I was contemplating throwing it onto a t-58 yeast cake from a wit that is about to be freed up. Figure that the the big cell count and alcohol tolerant yeast would be good, but I read that t-58 throws off peppery and spicy flavours (this is the first time I've used this yeast so not really sure of the outcome). Braggots are also outside of my field of experience so anyone have thoughts on the t58 in a braggot? On one hand I think it might produce a pretty interesting drop, but will it otherwise destroy the subtle honey flavours?

im sure it will be fine mate go for it.

Mine's due to be bottled in the near future. I might even do it this arvo.

Sitting at around 7.8%abv, it looks like I may blow a few heads off with it!

How are the braggots going? has anyone cracked a bottle?

Just tasted mine from the keg before bottling and at is still very alcoholic but it was also a bit bigger than the one you guys brewed, 1.082 - 1.010. It also has a lot of phenolics from the yeast and a surprisingly lot of malt considering the low FG... although the 1.5kg of crystal will do that :)

Back