Isb Bragot Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey ISB brewers, what yeast have you decided to use? Ive got Hel lined up in a couple of brews and really dont know if I want to use champagne yeast to finish it off as described by Rabbits Foot. Im thinking of using a Saison yeast and then praying that it attenuates correctly or maybe even a belgian strong ale yeast.

ive used the champaine and it comes out very dry but gets the % up there. ive also used s33 its not bad. im planing on using the whitelab sweet mead in mine or i might fire up the wyeast sweet mead just to see what the difference is. we will see what happens

I'll be looking to try and get the guys from Wollongong up there by 11:00. sounds like a good start time to me.

From wyeast
Aroma: Depending on the sweetness, strength and base style of beer, a subtle to distinctly identifiable honey and beer character (dry and/or hydromel versions will tend to have lower aromatics than sweet and/or sack versions). The honey and beer/malt character should be complementary and balanced, although not always evenly balanced. If a variety of honey is declared, the aroma might have a subtle to very noticeable varietal character reflective of the honey (different varieties have different intensities and characters). If a base style of beer or type of malt is declared, the aroma might have a subtle to very noticeable character reflective of the beer style (different styles and malts have different intensities and characters). A hop aroma (any variety or intensity) is optional; if present, it should blend harmoniously with the other elements. Standard description applies for remainder of characteristics.

Appearance: Standard description does not apply due to beer-like characteristics. Clarity may be good to brilliant, although many braggots are not as clear as other meads. A light to moderate head with some retention is expected. Color may range from light straw to dark brown or black, depending on the variety of malt and honey used. The color should be characteristic of the declared beer style and/or honey used, if a variety is declared. Stronger versions may show signs of body (e.g., legs).

Flavor: Displays a balanced character identifiable as both a beer and a mead, although the relative intensity of flavors is greatly affected by the sweetness, strength, base style of beer, and variety of honey used. If a beer style is declared, the braggot should have some character traceable to the style although the flavors will be different due to the presence of honey. If a variety of honey is declared, the braggot should feature a subtle to prominent varietal character (different varieties have different intensities). Stronger and/or sweeter braggots should be expected to have a greater intensity of flavor than drier, lower gravity versions. The finish and aftertaste will vary based on the declared level of sweetness (dry to sweet), and may include both beer and mead components. A wide range of malt characteristics is allowable, from plain base malts to rich caramel and toast flavors to dark chocolate and roast flavors. Hop bitterness and flavor may be present, and may reflect any variety or intensity; however, this optional character should always be both suggestive of the base beer style and well blended with the other flavors. Standard description applies for remainder of characteristics.

Mouthfeel: Standard description does not apply due to beer-like characteristics. Smooth mouthfeel without astringency. Body may vary from moderately light to full, depending on sweetness, strength, and the base style of beer. Note that stronger meads will have a fuller body. A very thin or watery body is undesirable, as is a cloying, raw sweetness. A warming sense of well-aged alcohol may be present in stronger examples. Carbonation will vary as described in the standard description. A still braggot will usually have some level of carbonation (like a cask bitter) since a completely flat beer is unappetizing. However, just as an aged barleywine may be still, some braggots can be totally still. Overall Impression: A harmonious blend of mead and beer, with the distinctive characteristics of both. A wide range of results are possible, depending on the base style of beer, variety of honey and overall sweetness and strength. Beer flavors tend to somewhat mask typical honey flavors found in other meads.

Ingredients: A braggot is a standard mead made with both honey and malt providing flavor and fermentable extract. Originally, and alternatively, a mixture of mead and ale. A braggot can be made with any type of honey, and any type of base beer style. The malt component may be derived from grain or malt extracts. The beer may be hopped or not. If any other ingredients than honey and beer are contained in the braggot, it should be entered as an Open Category Mead. Smoked braggots may be entered in this category if using smoked malt or a smoked beer as the base style; braggots made using other smoked ingredients (e.g., liquid smoke, chipotles) should be entered in the Open Category Mead style.

Comments: Sometimes known as "bracket" or "brackett." The fermentable sugars come from a balance of malt or malt extract and honey, although the specific balance is open to creative interpretation by brewers. See standard description for entrance requirements. Entrants MUST specify carbonation level, strength, and sweetness. Entrants MAY specify honey varieties. Entrants MAY specify the base style or beer or types of malt used. Products with a relatively low proportion of honey should be entered in the Specialty Beer category as a Honey Beer.

Commercial Examples: Magic Hat Braggot, Brother Adams Braggot Barleywine Ale, White Winter Traditional Brackett
Wyeast Strains:
1056 - American Ale
4184 - Sweet Mead
4632 - Dry Mead
4783 - Rudisheimer
1728 - Scottish Ale

Also some interesting reading on this beeradvocate thread eg:
three reason why you would use champagne yeast.

1. you are making champagne
2. stuck fermentation
3. alcohol tolerance

other than that champagne yeast should be your last choice in yeast.

braggot = brewers yeast or wine yeast as a second choice.

who ever propagated the rumor/advice that champagne yeast is the yeast to use for cider and mead i would like to kick him/her square in the nuts/ovaries

most yeast strains will ferment into the mid-teens alcohol content if you give it enough yeast.

I've also seen a few sites recommending english ale yeasts eg Windsor & Nottingham.

Dogfish head made on with Australian ale. Whitelabs dry australian ale is mentioned in this cats meow recipe

Whitbread, Australian Ale & Nottingham are used in conjunction in this attempt

I'll probably be going with an ale yeast. Saison yeast is an interesting idea especially as I have two of them going at the moment. Ok, one of those is what I'll be going with. Thanks, Jye. :super:

are you sure edgecliffbrewer is in? He told me he was going to Afghanistan!

are you sure edgecliffbrewer is in? He told me he was going to Afghanistan!
im going to have to check my pm to see what he said i remember he sent me one but i might of been drinking at the time i read it.

just check and your right he did drop out.
so thats 2 cubes back up for grabs.

croz ive made some fairly nice meads with champagne but it does take time to age and become nice, hence why i swapped to the sweet mead.
thats a damn good profile on that right there.

Hey Lads

I'm a Sydney beginner brewer and was just wondering what all this is about?

If you are planning on a brew-up or something then I would be keen on coming along and just being a fly on the wall. Is that possible??

Let me know if that is possible or let me know when you guys are doing a brew-up next so I might be able to come along if its possible.

Cheers,

MaestroMatt

just check and your right he did drop out.
so thats 2 cubes back up for grabs.

Don't worry, with scabs like me about, I'm sure they'll be accounted for :icon_cheers: (of course very happy to let any ISBer have the first dibs)

Hey Lads

I'm a Sydney beginner brewer and was just wondering what all this is about?

If you are planning on a brew-up or something then I would be keen on coming along and just being a fly on the wall. Is that possible??

Let me know if that is possible or let me know when you guys are doing a brew-up next so I might be able to come along if its possible.

Cheers,

MaestroMatt
its just a big brew day, your more than welcome to come along if you want to watch. pm me for the address. its on the 6th of december.

fatgodzilla im sure the cubes are going to be snapped up, would you like me to put your name on one now and make sure.

its just a big brew day, your more than welcome to come along if you want to watch. pm me for the address. its on the 6th of december.

fatgodzilla im sure the cubes are going to be snapped up, would you like me to put your name on one now and make sure.

Nah. if anyone else wants one, let them have it. Xmas, time of sharing, being good to your fellow man.

Besides, if I don't get one I'll steal Monkeybusiness's cube and tell him we left his behind !

Damn.

Looks like I won't be able to make it as I have a family engagement on the 6th.

Thanks for the offer though Barls - I am sure I will be able to make future meets.

Cheers!

Nah. if anyone else wants one, let them have it. Xmas, time of sharing, being good to your fellow man.

Besides, if I don't get one I'll steal Monkeybusiness's cube and tell him we left his behind !
i can be bribed to lie mate

but seriously im just looking forward to seeing how i pull this off.

matt keep your eyes open im sure there will be another isb brew day coming up in the new year

1. barls
2. cortez
3. stuster
4. red beard
5. crozdog
6. Muggus
7. Josh
8. monkeybusiness
9. schooey.

What time are you guys doing this? I will drop past in the arvo.
Cheers
Gerard

What time are you guys doing this? I will drop past in the arvo.
Cheers
Gerard

NSW Xmas Case Swap on same day, so a big day for all. Crushing from 10.00am (pressure on Barls) likely completion and going home time about 4.00pm. Join Crozdog as a late arrival ! Good to hear your war(nambool) stories !

Talking to barls on Wednesday, he'd decided to add the honey at the end of the boil instead to save having to split it up into many portions and everyone having to have a suitable container.

Back