Is Unrefrigerated Dry Yeast Worth Buying?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dammag

Reaction score
Is unrefrigerated dry yeast, such as US05, worth buying.

All the LHBS's around here seem to have their yeast on display on the shelf.

I would like to try something different as I have been using recultured Coopers yeast mainly.

Also, what about unrefrigerated hops?

Thanks, Damian.

Even though they should be ok pending or course on how quick the said shops have their turnover, I personally wouldn't be touching them when there are other options such as a mail order from somewhere reputable such as Craftbrewer. The extra few dollars for postage will be worth it in the long run imo.

Find another HBS shop. Not good practices I think.
Proberly worth the little more in t'pt cost and get fresh ingredients from Craftbrewer in Capalaba.

My LHBS has it out on the shelf. And it's all repackaged stuff with no use buy or packaged on date on it either. <_< They do have a pretty good turn over at least.

I have asked owner before about keeping it in a fridge, and he basically said "bah, she'll be right mate". And then they wonder why people shop online instead...

Is unrefrigerated dry yeast, such as US05, worth buying.

All the LHBS's around here seem to have their yeast on display on the shelf.

I would like to try something different as I have been using recultured Coopers yeast mainly.

Also, what about unrefrigerated hops?

Thanks, Damian.

Given that Yeast is one of the most important ingredients you put in the beer, why risk it.

Personally I'd be telling them that my buisness will be taken elsewhere

both for the yeast and the hops

Yob

Yob hit the nail on the head"why risk it",for a couple of bucks more you can get yeast that has been treated properly & give you peace of mind that its going to do its job & not f*#% your brew

I took the risk once, my LHBS also keeps their yeast on the shelf, and i wanted to brew that evening. Got a pack of S04, the brew came out so ridiculously full of diacetyl nothing i tried could get it down to a drinkable level, down the drain it went. Never again, I always order online and store in the fridge at home.

If they don't know that yeast need refrigerating don't shop with them.

I would be bringing it up to say that the hops and yeast should be stored in the fridge.

That way then they have a way to rectify the issue (being the LHB guy they should already know) but you have to start somewhere.

It should be only the last resort. I have only bought yeast like at from the LHBS on one occasion when I didn't need to make an order online for a while, the beer turned out fine but don't take the risk if you can avoid it. All the sponsors above store their products properly and have a good turnover so everything is always fresh so you cant go wrong.

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like it's not a good idea.

Anyone know of anywhere on the Gold Coast with good yeast?

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like it's not a good idea.

Anyone know of anywhere on the Gold Coast with good yeast?

Every HB shop around here is unfortunately a bit useless. Have tried to avoid them since going AG a couple of years ago. I think both the Burleigh and Palm Beach shops refrigerate yeast, but the selection is meagre and the guy in Burleigh has sold me out of date packets before. When I was building my mash tun I went in there looking for a rubber bung (of course he doesn't carry them), but he said "you don't want to be using rubber around alcohol". I thought about try to explain the lack of alcohol in the mash... :rolleyes:

Nowhere I'm aware of stocks liquid and I wouldn't be buying it from these places that have such low turnover on "intermediate" HB ingredients anyway. Craftbrewer is leagues above any GC LHBS, IMHO, and well worth the drive or a short wait if mail ordering.

Gee only just over an hour drive to Craftbrewer... I know what I'd be doing if not getting a mail order, I only wish I was as close. I'd love to visit the guys there one day.

Gee only just over an hour drive to Craftbrewer... I know what I'd be doing if not getting a mail order, I only wish I was as close. I'd love to visit the guys there one day.

Yeah. No excuse really :)

Nice fresh yeast and hops.

66.2 Km or 58 minutes from my driveway to their door.

Yeah. No excuse really :)

Nice fresh yeast and hops.

66.2 Km or 58 minutes from my driveway to their door.

I would be going for the drive. I assume Ross would have some samples in store that you could try. They would be one of the best beers.

I once got a mate into using better yeast, ordered him a speacial lager recipe pack from his un-named HBS.
came with Saflager. Yeast didn't work and whole batch went off when he stirred it up with a dirty spoon.
So it can and does all go pear-shaped without good fresh yeast.

My LHBS houses all yeast and hops in a fridge, and most brewers do the same at home.

Also be careful buying kits from supermarkets in the summer, they can sit out in the heat between
the transport and the shop; and the store room is not air-conditioned.

Hey Amber Fluid.

I lived at Mount Nelson, just accross the river from you, from 1971 (when I was born) to 1982.

Damian.

Hey Amber Fluid.

I lived at Mount Nelson, just accross the river from you, from 1971 (when I was born) to 1982.

Damian.

I'm at Tranmere. I can see Mt Nelson across the river from my kitchen window. Looks like we're the same age too but if you moved in '82 I doubt I'd know you even though it is only a small place.

Back