Is This Yeast Worth Harvesting.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Silver
Reaction score
I used US-04 on a brew OG/1056 and it finished up at 1016. I was expecting it to drop to 1013ish. The ferment ran pretty high in early stage as i was trialling sitting FV on Hot water tank. It reached close to 30C for 1 day. I took sleeping bag off FV and it dropped to 22ish and held steady. Is it worth keeping a yeast that has not dropped to where it is expected to drop? Will next generation of this yeast naturally not drop any further?
Thanks in advance.

if you took it to 30 deg I would say no, the $5 for a new yeast would be a better option IMHO

I assume it's a US05

US04. I don't have any qualms about shelling out for more yeast. I was hoping to further my knowledge and understanding.

US04. I don't have any qualms about shelling out for more yeast. I was hoping to further my knowledge and understanding.

What mxd is saying is that the yeast is either US-05 or S-04.

There is no US-04

p.s. I wouldnt bother harvesting.

I used US-04 on a brew OG/1056 and it finished up at 1016. I was expecting it to drop to 1013ish. The ferment ran pretty high in early stage as i was trialling sitting FV on Hot water tank. It reached close to 30C for 1 day. I took sleeping bag off FV and it dropped to 22ish and held steady. Is it worth keeping a yeast that has not dropped to where it is expected to drop? Will next generation of this yeast naturally not drop any further?
Thanks in advance.

You could for practice and to save a few bucks. If your asking about the possible future attenuation then I would guess being that you have had the temperature range all over the joint, I wouldn't bother. Some one with more experience might tell you that the attenuation from each batch might effect future beers harvested off that yeast. From what I have read attenuation rates can change from harvesting yeasts over a few generations and that can be dependant on multiple factors like fermentation temps, whether you cold crash the fermentation to get the less flocculate yeast into you yeast cake etc, etc, and that then probably only has an effect over many generations.

I'd harvest it as long as it wasn't infected. Going to 30C won't have changed it - I breed up starters at that temp (room) sometimes.

The ones to not save yeast from are high gravity batches as the yeast is stressed by the alcohol. Or if you have any flavour doubts (that little something in the back of your mind saying, "tastes 99% right"...)

BTW - S04 is notorious for finishing high.

Now thems encouraging words. Would 1056 OG be considered too high gravity.

It's Not really over the top but is getting up there, you could always rinse and make.a starter to get a new pitch, however i wouldnt use 04 to begin with... The most trouble and only brew i ever tipped from the fv was 04 amd havnt had it im the house since.

Ed.. I hate this phone

I'll ditch the s-04, keep us-05 and get some more wlpoo1 california ale yeast. love that stuff. Thanks again troops.

I'll ditch the s-04, keep us-05 and get some more wlpoo1 california ale yeast. love that stuff. Thanks again troops.

Hi Silver,

Use the yeast for the style of beer you're making - If you're making an english ale, ditching the S-04 for US-05 is probably not going to improve the beer. If you're making an apa then why did you use S-04 in the first place?
Understand your yeasts & use accordingly, if you're struggling, ask your local HBS for advice & if they can't provide, switch to one that does....

cheers Ross

Thanks Ross, I used s-04 because I used us-05 in previous brew so I can get a feel for what each has to offer/(understanding). It's not like I am trying to copy any style this stage of the game, just trying to make some tasty beers. With regards to "ask your local HBS for advice" the nearest is a good 10ks away and they don't even know what whirlfloc is. I make a special trip to another store some 25ks away when the need arises. Cheers

Silver,

There's always the phone :)

Happy to help anytime...

Cheers Ross

Back