Is This Too Good To Be True?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abyss

Reaction score
Gday Brewers, has any one ever heard of (outboardsexp.com). They aparrently export outboard motors, motor bikes,jet skis, atv's ect,world wide from Japan for about a quater of the price of what you would pay down under and the price includes shipping. It certainly sounds too good to be true and I cant find out a way to reassure that they are fairdinkum. Any advice is apreciated. Regards Nick.

Well I don't know. You can pay with paypal so thats a good sign.

I just went through the order process and it seemed strange that they only charge 5 bucks for shipping a quad and you can login as a guest.

edit I did a search on the website and its actually Chinese not Japanese

Domain outboardsexp.com

Date Registered: 2011-7-12
Date Modified: 2011-7-12
Expiry Date: 2012-7-12

DNS1: cp102.magentoeasy.com
DNS2: ns102.magentoeasy.com

Registrant
Mr Chen 919199022 (at) qq dot com
Xia Men Shou Xin Yi
362000 Fu Jian
China
Tel: +86.15985887285

Thanks Bradley, I didnt know they were Chinese. And I have heard that a dodgey site can have their own fake Paypal system.

this interests me alot.

I wonder if they are Chinese rip-offs or the OEM.

A Harley V Rod or a BMW K1300 under $6K a piece hmmmmm...... wonder if the actual manufacturers can make them that cheap

Ive heard people dont get much support from paypal when things go bad, but if you use a decent credit card through paypal you may have a better chance if it all goes pear shaped...

A Harley V Rod or a BMW K1300 under $6K a piece hmmmmm...... wonder if the actual manufacturers can make them that cheap

to good to be true.....So how do they get away with ripping the brand name off?

Im wondering if there is any way to get insurance on the transaction.

I have had refunds using paypal, but only for non-delivery

they specifically mention Japan; http://www.outboardsexp.com/about-us/

Outboardsexp.com is the leading B2B e-Commerce marketplace that has revolutionized global online trade with Japan. As the first and largest Japan-based online wholesale trading platform, Outboardsexp.com has been serving the worlds small and medium sized businesses since 2004. Providing world class standards of Japan wholesale product sourcing, payment, tracking and delivery services to over 3 million buyers from over 230 countries, Outboardsexp.com offers over one thousand product listings at any one time from over 500 dedicated Japan-based suppliers.

I was also told that if the website is safe it should start with https, not http ?

I was also told that if the website is safe it should start with https, not http ?
HTTPS doesn't indicate whether the operators of the website are trustworthy or not. It indicates that the traffic to and from the website are encrypted so that eavesdroppers can't snoop.

Anyone can buy an SSL/TLS certificate from any number of vendors and provide an HTTPS connection. One can also sign one's own certificate and have HTTPS without buying a certificate. However, in the self-signed case, your browser will indicate that it is self signed and not from a "trusted source". "Trusted source", as I said above, doesn't indicate that the website that bought the certificate is trustworthy or not, just that they bought the certificate from a source that the browser recognises.

In short, just because you can communicate with the website in question without anyone snooping on your communication, doesn't mean that the website you're communicating with can be trusted with whatever it is you send them (ie credit card details, or paypal transaction funds).

Lots of fraud going on on the World Wide Web...

edit: typos

The first thing that enters my head is that they are pirated knock-offs. (as mentioned earlier). The counterfeit industry is mind-blowingly massive.

My advice to anyone interested in buying a product ? Contact the relevant company (Yamaha, Honda, etc etc) and simply ask them if Outboard Sex Pee is a reseller of their goods. I think you'll find the answer is no, by looking at some of the Harley prices a moment ago.

old news, but...

Counterfeit motorcycles seized at Milan show

The Italian finance police have seized 11 counterfeit mopeds at the Milan show after complaints from a Czech company (which I presume is Blata) over the fakes. Three Chinese citizens and one Italian were charged with patent violations. The motorcycles were perfect copies and even had the company trademark. The number of Chinese counterfeits is rising and Blata, for one, has been both a frequent target of the counterfeiters as well as an aggressive defender of its designs and products.

If the Chinese are bold enough to display fakes at an international motorcycle show, you know they are doing the same every chance they get in world markets. The suits by Yamaha against Yamoto and the fight by Blata against counterfeiters is an indication of how widespread the problem is. This problem is huge and everyone should be on alert for the deal that's too good to be true.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2007/10/09/3002373.htm

Fake Honda engines to be destroyed

Honda Philippines, Inc. will destroy 22 units of fake general purpose engines today in line with its campaign against the proliferation of Chinese imports, which are allegedly copying the Honda brand and technology trademarks.

The destruction of counterfeit engines will be conducted in Bacolod City where Honda found two establishments selling Honda engine look-alikes.

Businessman Jose Zulueta also owns another store in Iloilo selling the same fake products.

Honda legal counsel Editha Hechanova said genuine Honda engines made in Thailand and Japan bear only the name "Honda," while counterfeits coming from China are branded "Honda Technology."

Buyers are often confused as both engines, used primarily for motorboats and motorbikes, bear the same color and design.

Honda Philippines and its Japan-based parent firm Honda Motor Co. Ltd. said the legal distributors of genuine Honda engines have been losing clients since the entry of Chinese "copies" in the local market.

Citing figures based on an earlier infringement case won by Honda against distributors of fake general purpose engines, Ms. Hechanova said the company has been losing at least P3 million annually due to unfair competition.

Honda has sold over 200,000 units of GX160 and GX200 engines since it entered the market in 1995.

When Chinese engines entered the market in 2001, unit sales of the GX160 dropped 71%, while GX200 sales fell 37%.

Fake engines could explain why Princess Rossi is riding like a complete 'tard right now...

Thanks very much for the feedback Brewers. From what I have learned over the last few days, I realise that it is simply too good to be true. I just hope that there are still enough fairdinkum Aussies about to teach our younger generation how to shake hands and trust each other. Once trust is lost, you are on your own.

You can even buy those cheap genuine Honda motors without serial numbers.... ;)

Fu Jian province is pretty much dodgy central in China. I wouldn't trust a thing from there

Latest posts

Back