Is this suspended cold / hot break?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcarter

Reaction score
Howdy,

Last night brewed or attempted a Zombie dust IPA clone and set it aside in 20L cube till the fermentor's done dry hoping the previous batch.

Today as I walked in for a beer the cube looked odd,

Appears to have floaties, this is the first time I've practiced my whirlpool technique with this many hops. Additionally the first time I've used Whirlfloc tablets and a yeast suppliant in the boil.

All of which could explain this cloudy, suspended particle phenomenon.

Wort tastes good, maybe a little bitter than I expected but that was some decent hop additions.

The cube hasn't expand so thinking... hoping it's not infected.

So you knowledgeable folk think this is just cold / hot break, hops and the Whirlfoc doing it's thing or something more sinister?

The yeast I've got's from a starter so I'm probably going to pitch it regardless but be nice to know if I've messed up.

Cheers Nick

20Lcube.jpg

Hop cone.jpg

Inside cube.jpg

Looks ok mate you prob got some of the hot break in the cube its pretty common, there is also a lot of cold break /trub formation as it cools. The addition of more hops tends to yeild higher amounts for sure. I wouldn't worry about it some people dont even whirlpool just straight into the cube or fermenter and reckon it makes no difference.
I think it could effect clarity maybe but it will precipitate out over time in the fermenter.

Just taste some of it before you pitch it to make sure its OK.

The cube looks normal it's just cold break.

When you say it tastes god that was when you were brewing it right? You didn't open the cube did you?

Thanks for the info mind is at rest.

I'm certainly no god, at brewing or proof reading it would seem.

Luckily or unluckily I haven't quite got my beer smith equipment profile sorted and got an extra 6L yield in a second cube next to it.

I was toying with the idea of throwing it in with the other when I transfer it despite the 15L of o2 oxidizing it.

Now I've opened it... it just became a sacrificial experiment, can you brew 5 L of oxidized beer in a 20L cube at room temperature? :D

Sure you can...

Yes... Oxygen is good for yeast.
Yeast will remove oxygen. After that, Oxygen is bad!

What's in the cube looks like cold break to me, takes 12-24 hrs to settle out, maybe longer if the cube takes more time to cool. Hot break and hop particles will both settle out a lot quicker than that and looks like you had a decent cone in the kettle, so there's probably not too much of that got in if you were careful.

For those of us who are using plate chillers or no chilling, the cold break all ends up in the fermenter anyway, so you should be good.

I ferment on cold break all the time. Hot break is mostly left behind in the kettle after whirlpool and overnight settling/decanting of starter wort.

If making a pale lager, I usually decant from the cold break too but most other beers are fermented directly in the cube.

Here's some hot break from a recent brew. I was so worried, I took photo.
Much of it wound up in the cube with seemingly no ill effect and dropped out in day or two.
The beer is fine.

DSC_6441_zps80e4e400.jpg

Pitched the yeast on it just now, It all settled down the bottom of the cube so I siphoned it from the top with the pump.

Liquid was the clearest I've ever seen out of the cube.

I think I've underestimated the effectiveness of the Wirlfloc tablets.

I'm hoping this will be the beginning of a wonderful clear beer relationship,

Cheers for all your advice my all grain is coming along so well now I was bitterly disappointed with the beer i brought yesterday I at the pub for $10.

Back