Is This Plastic 20l Cube Is Foodsafe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
Hi all,
I do some work in medical pathology, where we use alot of pure ethanol, As such it arrives in 20L cubes, and they are disgarded, so I have salvaged a few, but am unsure if I should rack a beer into one or not, Is there any real difference between these ones and the water ones that sell for $15 at camping stores, as they look the same to me../

Case

if it is marked somewhere with a number 2 inside a triangle you will be a very happy brewer

sinkas said:
Hi all,
I do some work in medical pathology, where we use alot of pure ethanol, As such it arrives in 20L cubes, and they are disgarded, so I have salvaged a few, but am unsure if I should rack a beer into one or not, Is there any real difference between these ones and the water ones that sell for $15 at camping stores, as they look the same to me../

Case
[post="82351"][/post]​
All I know with 100% ethanol is make sure that it wasn't dried with Benzene :excl:
Other than that it should be sweeeet!

Hoops

Indeed it does have a 2, thanks Wee Stu

sinkas said:
Indeed it does have a 2, thanks Wee Stu
[post="82362"][/post]​

They are just thrown out?
Talk about luck. Free 20L cubes.
Maybe you could sell them and make some money on the side.

sinkas said:
Hi all,
[post="82351"][/post]​
Any chance of bringing them home full?

I have seen those containers too. I would be a little cautious about using them due to contaminating chemicals that may be present from the production of the ethanol. I know that the ethanol itself is NOT food grade. Usually, it is actually denatured which means that something has been added to it to stop you from drinking it. Also means the supplier does not have to pay excise on it. Pure ethanol only comes in a glass bottle and it is quite expensive ($70/litre)
Also those containers will be a bugger to clean and sanitise due to the handle and no access to clean thoroughly.
cheers
Darren

With lab and cleaning ethanol, the big thing to look out for is the grade.
Absolute ethanol is azeotroped (dried via co-evaporation) with benzene and will most likley give you cancer. However, 95% Ethanol is distilled from water and is safe to drink (once diluted). Saying that i wouldnt drink either, but i would use a container that had previously housed 95.
Tim

We do quite a few experiments adding ethanol to human cells in culture. If you add even a small amount of bulk grade ethanol to those cells they die almost immediately. There is a reason why it cost $70/litre

Darren said:
I have seen those containers too. I would be a little cautious about using them due to contaminating chemicals that may be present from the production of the ethanol. I know that the ethanol itself is NOT food grade. Usually, it is actually denatured which means that something has been added to it to stop you from drinking it. Also means the supplier does not have to pay excise on it. Pure ethanol only comes in a glass bottle and it is quite expensive ($70/litre)
Also those containers will be a bugger to clean and sanitise due to the handle and no access to clean thoroughly.
cheers
Darren
[post="82382"][/post]​

Darren,
Thanks mate.....their are some that may say you were being just a smiggin negitive there again ( you weren't before I know)
But I know you are only looking out for the interests of fellow brewers , always an informitive post , thanks

Cheers
Batz :ph34r:

Batz,
Yep, just trying to help. Have seen quite a few of those containers. Thought about them. I can see they will be a real pain to clean.
There must also be a reason why the company doesn't want them back!
I am quite fortunate that I work in a place where they use 30 litre screw capped fermenters to make up tissue culture media. QC says they can only use them once. For a couple of bottles of HB I can have an endless supply of them

Should have added that I make 60 litre batches so I don't use them as fermenters. Just grain storage

Darren said:
Batz,
I am quite fortunate that I work in a place where they use 30 litre screw capped fermenters to make up tissue culture media
[post="82405"][/post]​

Yuk !!

Snowtown ??? :lol: :lol:

Batz

Sinkas, I, for one, would bow to Darren's more exhaustive knowledge, and exercise due caution.

Bummer :(

Batz said:
Darren said:
Batz,
I am quite fortunate that I work in a place where they use 30 litre screw capped fermenters to make up tissue culture media
[post="82405"][/post]​

Yuk !!

Snowtown ??? :lol: :lol:

Batz
[post="82410"][/post]​

Batz,
That was tissue dissolving media 8)

They sound alright to me. Them medical people don't want their ethanol contaminated.

I often use 25 lt chemical drums as secondary fermenters, that had DI water in them.

BTW 20 lt ethanol would be nice.

wee stu said:
if it is marked somewhere with a number 2 inside a triangle you will be a very happy brewer
[post="82357"][/post]​
I dont understand why only the no. 2 plastics are ok to use as food grade. When i look at the plastics used to package food at the supermarket, it is more common to see no.1 and no.5 in use. Why cant we use a cube that has these numbers on them?
Does anyone know why?

vlbaby.

Hey Sinkas, I have managed to salvage a few of these 20L ethanol containers from my work place, I have only just got around to using one it seems to be perfect for lagering or racking into them, I just made sure I gave them a really good rince. No problems so far... The reason the company's would not want them back would be more then likely because it would not be worth them cleaning them. They have to garentee that it is 96% EtoH and nothing else. I hope this helps.
Tara.

Back