Is this normal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
431neb said:
Time to confess. I rarely take a final gravity.

I almost always ferment ales for a week at 17 degrees then I bump it to 20 degrees for a few days to make sure it's complete. Then I Cold crash to about 2 degrees for at least 2 days and whack it in a keg.

I used to transfer to a secondary for the CC but all my "refinements" are due to laziness so that was an obvious one to abandon.

Seems to work. Interested to hear if others are as lazy as me.

Note that I'm not recommending this as a strategy for dogfence. Stick to your regular hydros fella!!

Yep, I'm a bit the same. I always take a hydro reading when I do AG, but when I'm pressed for time and do a kit beer I never take one.

Two weeks at 18ish, one week cold crash, bottle...soon to be kegging though hopefully. :)

Would recommend newbies always take at least a couple of readings though. Oh, and don't forget to taste the sample...

mb-squared said:
You'll want to get a hydro reading from your sample first and then before throwing it down the drain, take a taste. Never put your sample back in the fermenter.
People throw samples down the drain??

I only ever take 2-3 sips then down drain with the rest of the tube.
Too much hop crap in there.
But I am feeling like an outcast now. :unsure:

sometimes I drink the whole thing, sometimes I don't. never thought God cared if I did one or the other.

I believe the Beer Gods care. Don't tempt their Ire and Retribution. You may find yourself producing Malt Vinegar instead of Beer.

If you don't drink at least most of the sample (you can leave the sediment at the bottom just as you would normally) you risk angering the beer Gods and a nasty infection.

After taking my hydro reading, I take a nice mouthful and enjoy its almost readiness; then I walk to the verandah, raise the half full tube to the sky, thank the gods for a lovely brew and throw it on the lawn.
The beer gods seem happy enough, I know the dog is, it loves hydro samples.

Back