Is This Normal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sab

Reaction score
How you all doing, Just put down a Morgans Blue Mountain lager kit with 1kg morgans Lager malt and made it up to 20 litres and got an OG reading of around 1040 maybe a tad lower.Is This the norm,as it seems a bit of a low reading to me. Or is it ok and low because of using only malt and no dextrose or other sugars.
Most other kits I have made using dextrose and maltodextrin have always started in the high 40s even got one at 1052.Im still pretty much a newbie to HB .
Thanks for any help. :unsure:

sounds ok to me. 1040 is a standard SG for me.........it want to finish around 1005-1010

:) It will be fine.
You may find the finish grav is lower than you are used to,so you may not lose alc content.
You could safely go to 18 litres with that combo without increasing bitterness too much.
250 gms of dex won't hurt for more alc,but if you want more body replace maltodextrin with some steeped carapils or caramunich for a subtle flava. :D

If you put water in your fermenter first, then the tap inlet will be full of water, diluting the sample.

Tip out the first sample, and take a second one.

Thanks dickTed I usually do that and I also did it for this brew.

Back