Is this mould?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qualia

Reaction score
View attachment 107489

Is this mould on top of my beer?

I racked my beer for secondary fermentation trying to be as clean as possible. Then increased the temperature of my beer to 22c trying to help finish off the fermentation process as it was a few points higher than I wanted.

Then these white snow flake dots have started to appear. I'm assuming it's mould.

Should I bottle asap and hope?

Would cold crashing help in anyway?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502017812.755011.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1502017812.755011.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 210
thats the start of bretts pellical

If you say it hadn't finished I'd think Its just the last co2 streams of normal ferment.

Looks like the start of a pellicle. If the white stuff starts growing, you likely have brett, lacto, pedio, or some combination of the three.

As a footnote to this conversation, I cold crashed the beer and chilled for a week and the "white snow flakes" disappeared after 12 hours. Can not detect any off flavours so far, but will try to drink ASAP in case there are any little nasties in there.

If it smells ok, tastes ok then I'd say it's ok. I wouldn't worry about leaving some in the keg after having a few to see how it does develop

Back