Is This Fridge Screwed?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
Hi all,

I picked up a 1/2 size kelvinator fridge recently, and while it runs, and the light works and all, it doesnt appear to cool down much, only a couple of degrees below ambient,
It make running sounds, and I can hear liquid moving... Does this mean the thing is screwed., or could it be a cheap fix,? I just like the size of the thing..

Cheers

Case

without actually looking at it, i would bet my left one that it has a pinhole leak, and your out of gas, if.....that is if its a pin hole you can have it regased and get a few years out of it, but maybe its a little larger and wont last long at all, the cost to have a fridge mech go right through it can be a fair bit......

Try and find a semi retired mech that may do it cheep for cash......

thanks for that ozbrewer, I think ill just send it to the hard rubbish

unless you know a fridgey in ur area not a cheap fix.

Most fridgeys, me included steer clear of domestics except for the odd love job because they are pricks of things to work on. to repair a leak often means destroying the fridge to get at it.

If you havn't thrown it away yet, turn the fridge upside down and switch it on for a few hours. Then try it the right way up, sounds stupid but i fixed my bar fridge this way.

You could always just unplug it and use it as a fermentation cupboard and regulate the temp using frozen milk bottles. I set up a fridge from the tip like this. Freezer section is my cupboard for storeing all my brew paraphenalia out of sight of the missus (shes happy if she cant see it). Can ferment ales in North Qld down to about 16-18 if I keep an eye on temp morning and night. Recon I could even atempt a lager soon just add more frozen bottles and check temp more often.

Cheers
Steve

Back