Is This Belgian Safe To Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
Hi all,
Well my first belgian has slowed down to a bubble only every 15 mins or so,
It is now at 1018 from a orig of 1075 or so, Is it safe to bottle, it has been in Secondary for about 2 weeks?

Cheers

Case

Sounds safe.

If you're particularly worried, another 1-2 weeks won't hurt.

Warren -

Check it 2 or 3 days in a row. If the gravity has not moved your good to bottle.

Travis

You've gotten 75% attenuation, which is good. I would consider it safe to bottle, now.

- Snow

Use your hydrometer to check that it is finished. Do readings at least 3 days apart, rather than 24 hours. This is a big beer and you want to give it every chance to be finished. It is not going to hurt another week or two in secondary. It is going to hurt if it is still slowly fermenting and your bottles end up overcarbonated or bottle bombs.

Often, there will be movement in the airlock which is no indication as to what is happening fermentation wise. Changes in atmospheric pressure will give gloomping. Finished beer has dissolved carbon dioxide in it from fermentation. This dissolved carbon dioxide will slowly come out of solution causing the airlock to move. Or, it could still be slowly fermenting.

pint of lager said:
gloomping. Finished beer has dissolved carbon dioxide in it from fermentation.

POL,

I've been feverishly scouring the dictionary for "gloomping" ?? No luck.

Put that down to another new one derived from brewing descriptives.

Just off to clean the "spooge" from my fermenter. :p

Warren -

Warning, thread hijack. Warren, what noise does your airlock make?

We can develop lots of theories about airlock noises, and the reasons behind the different noises.

Then we can discuss what people from different language backgrounds call that special noise.

Then we can debate open versus closed fermentation, and the old favourite, gladwrap with a pinhole.

My favourite airlocks are the two part airlocks, with only a small bit of fluid in them they provide very little backpressure to the fermenter and are almost silent in operation. They also do not allow fluid to be drawn back into the fermenter when you lift the fermenter up. And you can pull them apart and clean them.

Back to listening to the gloomping.

pint of lager said:
My favourite airlocks are the two part airlocks, with only a small bit of fluid in them they provide very little backpressure to the fermenter and are almost silent in operation.
[post="68010"][/post]​

Same. Another advantage of a non-gloomping :lol: airlock (2-piece you speak of) is that you can rip the top hat part off it and shove a blowoff hose over the vertical part in the middle when your krausen starts to threaten.

FWIW Mine don't gloomp being a glass-carboy user. It's more a "pwwiip" :D

Scuse the hijack.

Warren -

:) Pwwiip is a great descriptive word for the sound of a two part airlock.

mine glurps.

the belgian sounds safe to bottle to me, though i would follow pol's advice

what yeast did you use ? i used 3787 and it went from 1.077 to 1.015 in 12 days. its now sitting in secondary and im going to leave it there for about a week beofre bottling. i wouldnt go by bubbling through the airlock at all. what does the surface look like? covered in bubbles, patches or just a few?

Ash

Mine go 'bloop bloop' when they're firing, and just 'bloop' when they slow down.

Well thanks for all the "Info" I bottled it, so here's hoping I have not created an arsenal of bottle bombs...

Sinkas,

Think you can rest easy. Worst scenario you'll have a little extra carbonation. Not a bad thing in a Belgian.

Warren -

Latest posts

Back