Is there something wrong with this starter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HardEight

Reaction score
I've been making starters for my last 20 or so brews.. usually a 1.5L starter boiled for 15 minutes with 130g of LDM... chilled then add a dry fermentis packet for whatever i'm brewing.. I have done 3 or 4 with liquid yeast as well that have turned out great.. But yesterday I followed my usual routine and used a White Labs English ale yeast WLP002 (BB:Jan-09-14)...

After 24 hours on the stir plate it still looks gluggy.. not the almost milky looking starters i'm used to..

IMAG1553.jpg

Is there something wrong with this?
Should I start again completely with an emergency S-04? Or just add a pkt of S-04 to it?

edit: I'm not brewing until tomorrow (Friday) night.. so have alsmost 22 hours to go

That looks typically like the 002 english ale, it flocculates into large dense clumps, looks like it's finished fermenting, turn it off and let the poor thing go to sleep :lol: .

it looked like that when i poured it into the flask tho.. from the test tube thingie it came in?

So do I ditch it?

No, add some more wort, glad wrap the top with a rubber band and see if it ferments, if it's fermenting the glad wrap will bulge out.
It looks ok to me, I used this yeast a lot a few years ago and that's how it always looked after fermentation

that is perfectly normal for a highly flocculant strain. DO NOT THROW IT

Agree with all the above. Haven't used that particular yeast but I've found WY1968 did the same thing on my stirplate. Most of it settled around the edges of the flask and laughed at the stir bar. Be sure to aerate/oxygenate your batch well to make its job easier.

Back