Is there a way of removing an overzelous CaCl addition?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My water is chlorinated, not chloraminated and mostly the chlorine taste is absent or present only subtly. However whether it's just different palates on different days, I do notice a difference here and there in the drinking water taste. Some days present, some days not. Fortunately for chlorine, heating to strike is pretty much enough to drive the small amount in Melbourne water away. Chloramine is more resistant to heat.

Campden (K or Na meta-bisulphite) or RO are the most effective methods I know of but i think there are others and I believe chloramine does respond to heat/boiling - just takes longer than chlorine.

I know chlorine can pit stainless which is why you don't use bleach to sanitise it but I would hazard a guess that the levels in most Australian water would only make their effects felt over a very long period of time (along with many other causes of deterioration in metals).

Not something i would get worked up about.

Wheat beer yeast is POF positive (phenolic off flavour) as well, that's where the clove like flavours come from. Have you used a phenolic strains of yeast before without problems?

ed. assuming you used a phenolic yeast.

Back