Is there a shelf life on boiled water in mason jars?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickcr250

Reaction score
I boiled a bunch of mason jars and water about 3 months ago and only used about half of them to rinse some yeast at the time. I was planning on rinsing some yeast this week and was wondering if I can use these jars/ water or should I re boil and cool. The lids are all still sucked down.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Pure water has an indefinate shelf life.

If the lids are still sucked down I would say its still good.

If washing yeast I'd use cooled kettle water, personally.

I store jars of water out of an electric pressure cooker for months without fail. As long as the lids are still sealed I reckon they'd last a very long time. Only thing I've found is some of my lids (mainly washed passata jars) can retain a bit of a smell which can taint the water.

Why would you want to store water for long periods....apart from being pedantic.

Just use the stuff from your kettle you have in the kitchen.

Mickcr250 said:
I boiled a bunch of mason jars and water about 3 months ago and only used about half of them to rinse some yeast at the time. I was planning on rinsing some yeast this week and was wondering if I can use these jars/ water or should I re boil and cool. The lids are all still sucked down.

good question, I've wondered that myself.

Yob said:
Pressure cooker... Kettle water is not sterile
2min rolling boil will make it medically sterile. Some bacteria can survive in volcano's, so mot even an autoclave can kill them.

But one would assume you are not sourcing water from volcano's

It takes me bugger all time to fill six jars and pressure cook for 15mins. Remove, tighten lids and slowly air cool. I do this a couple of times over an avo in the backyard and I've got a heap of sterile jars which are perfect for rinsing yeast. Sterile water and a sterile jar, too easy. No waiting for water to cool or sanitising vessels. I also do jars of wort for stepping starters. Once again no need to wait for wort to cool when there's jars of it in the starter fridge at about the same temp as the starter. I'm always looking for more efficient ways to do things and for me this works best. YMMV

I picked up the missus a 23qt (21L) presto pressure cooker for her canning stuff

514P46S2GDL.jpg

I reckon sterile water and ready to go wort is a good use for it ;)

Ducatiboy stu said:
What if you dont have a pressure cooker
Do you mean if I was stuck on a desert island and it went down with my yacht? In that case I'd probably fall back on my electric kettle.

Otherwise I'm not sure. As I said I have a pressure cooker and my process works for me. It sounds to me Stu that you're in a better position to advise as you've clearly stated you don't use one. :p

And I'm having a shit day so please excuse my sarcasm.

I have always just put all my jars in a big pot and boiled for 5-10 minutes then sealed and let cool. Is this not good practice?

it's certainly better than not boiling but isnt ideal if you want pure samples, as shown above in the link above by stux and stated by me, spores will survive a single boil, to be considered water free of microbial load, it requires boiling over a 3 day period.

Latest posts

Back