Is There A General Distain For Americans In Australia?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*sigh*

post 138 said:
And as far as being "unarmed in a battle of wits" it's kind of disturbing when the unarmed party is talented enough to defeat the "armed" person with the greatest of ease.

Why is unarmed unquoted, yet "armed" is contained within quotes?

Yeah.... You sure showed me...

Enjoy it dude. This all started because he didn't like the colour of my text. Great "minor trolling" affair to jump on board. Glad you feel some silly measure of justification out of it.

I do.

QUEENSLANDER!

Queensland reds are rugby union team. I would imagine you are referring in jest to the recent State of Origin in which the Maroons, a rugby league team kicked butt. I see red, literally.

maroon, red, whats the difference - they're all cheats in the end :p

crying-baby-party-56800676-300x300.jpg

Be brutal honest mates.

See where your thread has gone Freezkat? Australians seemingly have distain for everyone else, especially their brother Australians.

Me thinks you knew what would happen when you posted the thread - it's another case of Americans baiting us poor Aussies! We'd turn on each other like savage beasts! Oh, you are clever American! I saw through you - "mate" !

very_sneaky.jpg

See where your thread has gone Freezkat? Australians seemingly have distain for everyone else, especially their brother Australians.

Me thinks you knew what would happen when you posted the thread - it's another case of Americans baiting us poor Aussies! We'd turn on each other like savage beasts! Oh, you are clever American! I saw through you - "mate" !

View attachment 55766
We have "Pot Pies" which by the name would be a hit with the beatnik crowd. The frozen ones are horrible. Many of us ate these often because our mother was busy with the house.
http://nfp.conagrafoods.com/images/3100010102.jpg
mmmm cardboard

No, I did not start this thread to create civil unrest in Australia. To be honest with myself: paranoia, lack of self esteem, an unhealthy desire for validation, self pity, I think many of us deserve ridicule and distain... are more logical reasons

Many of us do care about our place in the world. We/I want to be liked when we/I visit abroad.

Last Spring in Munich, I wanted to talk (set straight) to some young gentlemen who were teasing my son. It was easier to just let it go. I figured there are dick heads everywhere and they produce dick head kids. It didn't seem to be a very random encounter though. He was pegged as an American. The issue was he was wearing a Bayern Futball jersey and they felt the need to mock him for it. I speak enough German to understand what was going on. Body language and tone was all that was required. The exchange only lasted 4 seconds.

That type of hospitality from the natives makes a guy want to stay home if we are going to receive similar treatment elsewhere.

yes I should ignore the testosterone driven jibing of any teenage bastards. It was my son...I was uncomfortable.

Oddly, minutes later, while standing by the Glockenspiel a crowd of Italian girls (on a motor coach tour as well) all wanted to take a picture with my son. Yes he still had his wallet afterwards. He wants to go to Italy next.

You drive on the wrong side of the road and henry ford was a poof.

semi related.

I'm glad we have compulsory voting - and don't have electronic voting machines (yet):

Last edited by a moderator:
semi related.

I'm glad we have compulsory voting - and don't have electronic voting machines (yet):

I saw that on the news. Those voting stations must have been supplied by Fox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave70 said:
We're a nation of xenophobes, so don't feel to bad if that's the vibe you get.

One thing that does make me cross is the fact the greenback has the phrase 'In God We Trust' emblazoned upon it. Your founding fathers - in their infinite wisdom, I might add - went to a great deal of bother to have secularism woven into the US constitution and this is a clear violation in my view.

Or at least some form of evangelical / fundamentalist subversion. Either way, you've dropped the ball on this one.

Jefferson would be spinning in his cheery-wood coffin.

If you can have a chat with, or perhaps send an e-mail to you local government representative and get that one cleared up, that would be awesome.
I'm American, and I'm with you on this one. Unfortunately it's impossible to succeed in politics in the US (in all but a few places) unless you're a born again Christian who wears it on his sleeve. The chances of removing the overt and obviously unconstitutional phrase from US currency are exactly zero.

Part of the reason I'm more comfortable in Australia is that people don't generally make much of your religion or lack thereof. In America it's a defining part of everyone's identity. That made me sick even when I was being raised as a Catholic. Seems like in Oz, you believe what you believe and nobody else gives a shit.

I remember one time Mark Latham was on TV and some journo asked him about his religion. He flatly stated he was agnostic (or maybe atheist, I don't recall). I figured he was done for, because that would be a death sentence in American politics. But the journo just shrugged and I never heard of it again.

(Sorry for dredging an old topic-- I'm new to the site and just read this thread.)

Back