Is There A Fridgey In The Group?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz

Reaction score
Gang,

Im in need of a fridgey to come look at my Keg freezer as it seems to have died.

Had issues with the meter box tripping out the other day; and when I got back from the George yesterday and put the case in the keg fridge to cool them down, it was warm and the thermometer was showing 23oC inside it.

Just wondering if there is a reset button in some of the newer chest freezers??

dont know about the reset button, but dont do what i did and call someone out of the phone book. charged me $70 + GST to tell me to buy a new one!

If it is tripping the breaker, that is probably an indication that the motor can't turn. If an electrical motor (one drives the compressor) can't turn, it draws a LOT of current. That's probably an indication that either the motor (not very likely) or the compressor (much more likely) is seized. If either is seized, it's probably cheaper to buy a new freezer.

Well I left it off for a while....I can hear it kicking over and running...but no joy...

maybe a re-gas??

Maybe it is as simple as it being out of refrigerant. Hopefully anyway. At least the compressor turns.

I didn't think anybody bothered re-gassing these things ? If they've lost the gas it means they're leaking from somewhere. I remember one shop I bought my fermenting fridge off claiming that it can be upwards of $300 to fix and re-gas a fridge and in most cases you'd be better off buying a new one.

"If it is tripping the breaker, that is probably an indication that the motor can't turn."

It wasn't the freezer tripping the breaker..that was the dishwasher....

Maybe the thermostat is buggered??? might try by-passing it....but which wires to connect together???

Thermo_detail.jpg

I vote you cut the blue wire. No, wait, cut the red one!

It wasn't the freezer tripping the breaker..that was the dishwasher....

Maybe the thermostat is buggered??? might try by-passing it....but which wires to connect together???

If the fridge runs, it's probably not the thermostat. If it doesn't cool off while it is running, it's either the compressor or the system has lost its refrigerant.

If the thermostat was shot, the fridge either wouldn't come on at all or if it did run, it wouldn't maintain the proper set temperature.

If the fridge runs, it's probably not the thermostat. If it doesn't cool off while it is running, it's either the compressor or the system has lost its refrigerant.

If the thermostat was shot, the fridge either wouldn't come on at all or if it did run, it wouldn't maintain the proper set temperature.

More like 'idling'. The big 'balloon shaped' thingy is getting hot but the freezer aint chillin' and definitly not maintaining the proper set temperature

Also got a 'growarm' thermo on it as well

Linz,

I could probably swing past on the weekend.

Blowing cbs suggests it's not a gas issue, possibly a current coil/capicator issue.

STOP PLAYING WITH IT.

I'll PM you my mob # to have a bit of a chat with you.

OK, OK I'll leave it alone........Ive said that before!!

I'll give you a buzz Bugman

More like 'idling'. The big 'balloon shaped' thingy is getting hot but the freezer aint chillin' and definitly not maintaining the proper set temperature

If it runs constant and hot without ooling anything down...your out of gas :(
Learnt that one recently...$100 Chest freezer that I never even used, must have cracked a pipe in moving it somehow.

Back