Is My Fridge Dying?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo1234

Reaction score
Gents, sorry for starting a whole thread about this but I couldn't find my answer from searching.

One of my fridges (the big one :angry: ) has started to not cool down in the fridge section but the freezer is still going strong.... The fridge is still cool but cetainly not cold and I think it may even just be the coolness from the freezer keeping the fridge cool.

Any ideas what may be causing this? I am not electircally gifted so not sure how to check thermostats etc.

Camo

There will be a fan that pushes the air from the freezer to the fridge section - its probably clogged up with dust and so stopped spinning.

Yep a fan or even just a flap setup that allows cold air from the freezer into the fridge.

Check the fan works
Check the flap can move
Check for crap that may have fallen into the way
Check that it's not completely iced up.

You may need to remove a plastic panel to see it.

QldKev

Gents, sorry for starting a whole thread about this but I couldn't find my answer from searching.

One of my fridges (the big one :angry: ) has started to not cool down in the fridge section but the freezer is still going strong.... The fridge is still cool but cetainly not cold and I think it may even just be the coolness from the freezer keeping the fridge cool.

Any ideas what may be causing this? I am not electircally gifted so not sure how to check thermostats etc.

Camo
Camo, you got any more info on the fridge? Photo, model etc? Importantly, is it one with a single front door, i.e. the freezer is a section at the top of the fridge? Or a two door one where the fridge/freezer are quite separate? I"m guessing it's a single door type from what you're saying but would help to know for sure.

Camo, you got any more info on the fridge? Photo, model etc? Importantly, is it one with a single front door, i.e. the freezer is a section at the top of the fridge? Or a two door one where the fridge/freezer are quite separate? I"m guessing it's a single door type from what you're saying but would help to know for sure
+1

It sound like a frost free, as a frosted freezer in a cyclic defrost will still keep the fridge cool.

In frost free, The ice prevents airflow over the coil and into the fridge section.
if you defrost it manually it will probably happen again, suggest looking at the heater element or defrost timer.

Camo
Got a problem with my big fridge too. Was fermenting at about 14C for a Klsch-style beer, and it suddenly became warmer than expected.
Thanks for the reminder in this thread to check the freezer.
Mine is, however, an all-fridge of about 420 litres. Looks like she's kaput now.

Got a problem with my big fridge too. Was fermenting at about 14C for a Klsch-style beer, and it suddenly became warmer than expected.
Thanks for the reminder in this thread to check the freezer.
Mine is, however, an all-fridge of about 420 litres. Looks like she's kaput now.

Steering away from the OP slightly, but just quickly, what is it doing or not doing Les? Besides keeping temp that is!
If it stopped all of a sudden and the light is on and compressor is not running, check the thermostat.

A friendly tap of the thermostat will sometimes kick the compressor in...and let you know what the problem is.

Steering away from the OP slightly, but just quickly, what is it doing or not doing Les? Besides keeping temp that is!
If it stopped all of a sudden and the light is on and compressor is not running, check the thermostat.

A friendly tap of the thermostat will sometimes kick the compressor in...and let you know what the problem is.
Sorry Camo for the thread hijack.

The fridge may have not been cooling for a few days before I noticed as the beer had finished primary ferment. I think the light was out too. Since the problem, I have turned the fridge off and left it that way for a week. Will try your recommended troubleshooting and get back to you.

I've had a couple of fridge freezers die over the years - not since my brewing days, but a couple of second hand "garage" models and the first thing that happens is that the freezer keeps on working ok for a while but the fridge section dies first. Apparently when there's a gas leak according to some law of thermodynamics or whatever the freezer section is "favoured" as the coolant gets pumped through.

May not be the same thing with newer models but if it's over 10 years old, maybe try getting it regassed and if it then reverts within a few days / weeks then there's probably a gas pipe leaking somewhere and time to look for a new one.

I had this happen to my main fermenting fridge a while ago.

Didn't bother me too much, I just 'removed' the floor between fridge and freezer and now have an even larger fridge than before. No problems bringing beers down to below zero, too.

Latest posts

Back