Is My Cultured Bottle Yeast "off"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
Hi all,

I thougt I would give cuturing up some yeast from a bottle of Triple Karmeliet, so I added the dregs of the bottle to 800ml of "wort" (water with 80grams of DME boiled for 10mins) and put a bung and airlock in it,
It didnt seem to do much for a couple of days then, it seemed to be brewing just like a beer..I thoughht I would buy wosome yeast butrient, so, I warmed and dissolved about 1/4 teasoppn of Wyeast nutrient in a few ml of water and threw it in. It seemd to go strong for a day, now it pretty lifeless and murky, and smells musty and slightly sweet.. have I made a starter or a primordial soup?

How much does one need for a starter?

Cheers

Case

Sinkas,

May have been best to boil the nutrient with the starter just for safety's sake. Here s the recommended usage from wyeast site

1 - 2 ounces per 10 bbl of wort
4.2 grams per hectoliter of wort
teaspoons per 5 gallons of beer or cider
1/8 teaspoon per 1 pint for yeast propagation
1 - 2 teaspoons per 5 gallons of wine or mead

Can't say what the overdose would do to flavour though.

Borret :blink:

Sinkas,

Wait for fermentation to subside, tip off the liquid and step it up with some more. In other words boil, cool some more malt extract and feed the starter again.

Taste the liquid you've tipped off and evaluate it yourself. Not all bottle yeasts, particularly ones from high grav brews like Tripel Karmeliet (beautiful drop) are in good health. If you have any doubts personally, don't use it. Shell out $15 bucks for a smack pack of any Belgian yeast.

BTW If you're going to attempt a Tripel Karmeliet clone it may be quite challenging. The real deal is made from Barley, Wheat & Oats and uses them in malted and unmalted form. This, the yeast and added spices is what makes it such a nicely-complex brew.

Made by Bosteels of Flanders, also known for the equally well-made Kwak. :wub:

Warren -

Hi there Guys,
Thanks for the input.
Personally I didnt really think that the slight overdose of the nutreitn woudl make any difference, being the overdose is only going to be in the order of 1/8-1/10 of a teaspoon.
I am really only having a go at culturing, to see if it was going to be successful.

I will tip some off and try it, doesnt look too nice..

Cheers

Case

sinkas said:
Personally I didnt really think that the slight overdose of the nutreitn woudl make any difference, being the overdose is only going to be in the order of 1/8-1/10 of a teaspoon.

Sinkas

Some of the nutrients can be toxic in high levels to yeast (zinc is one of them). It is a bit hard to know exactly what the levels are in your starter though.

The main thing with the starter is that there isn't any off flavours - esters, DMS (corn), sour etc. Sweet is acceptable and this may disappear as you step the starter up and let it ferment out completely.

I don't know that if the yeast in this beer is a bottling strain only, or it is their fermentation strain. This may make the whole exercise a waste of time (apart from the practice of culturing from a bottle :) )

Cheers
Pedro

Has anyone else successfully recultured the yeast from tripel karmeliet? Got a bottle, wonder if I should give it go. Not much on the interweb about reculturing it.

Edit: necro record?

Latest posts

Back