Is Liquid Yeast Worth It"really"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi guys as you all know by now i am a kit beer maker and being quite happy with my kit beers i am wondering ,is it really going to make all that much difference by tossing out my coopers yeast etc, and using a good liquid yeast.i know most of you guys use this but what i really want to know "DOES IT MAKE A WORTHWHILE DIFFERENCE" is it a bit of well its above what the kits use and we use it so it must be better.i havent tasted a beer with liquid yeast and i dont mind trying it if it really is going to make a noticible difference,not just a different tasting beer but a better tasting beer.hope to get some good feedback on this issue .
cheers
fergi

Yes. Absolutely.

Not in all cases... but have you ever tried making a Belgian Ale with dried yeast? Or a Kolsch, Irish Ale, etc? You can ferment two batches using identical wort with different yeasts and get COMPLETELY different tasting beers.

There is more to a recipe than the malt and hops and water. Many styles derive a large proportion of their flavour and aroma from the particular yeast used. Not all yeast strains can survive the dehydration and rehydration processes which is why they need to be shipped live.

More knowledgeable people than I can tell you which varieties of the commonly available dried yeasts have liquid equivalents or vice versa.

the answer is YES YES YES. liquid yeast is the dominant ingredient that makes the real difference and complexity to a brew

Some guys on here did a big batch, and split it into three fermenters, each with a different yeast. Anyone remember the post? I think Snow had something to do with it. Anyway, with the only difference between the three being the yeast, they produced three very different beers.

Wreck.

Affirmative, Kaptain.
You can only make a German pils or weizen with a liquid yeast.

Same for Belgians, pretty much all lagers, and specialty beers.

You need to find a friend who will culture a yeast starter for you, and give it a run.

Liquid cultures are essentially pure, as purchased. Whereas dried yeast must contain bacteria and other contaminants (although in minute quantities) due to the drying process. This is the main reason you don't reculture dried yeast.

Seth

fergi said:
hi guys as you all know by now i am a kit beer maker and being quite happy with my kit beers i am wondering ,is it really going to make all that much difference by tossing out my coopers yeast etc, and using a good liquid yeast.i know most of you guys use this but what i really want to know "DOES IT MAKE A WORTHWHILE DIFFERENCE" is it a bit of well its above what the kits use and we use it so it must be better.i havent tasted a beer with liquid yeast and i dont mind trying it if it really is going to make a noticible difference,not just a different tasting beer but a better tasting beer.hope to get some good feedback on this issue .
cheers
fergi
Fergi
Give me a ring - u r welcome over to the BrewInn Barossa - i have 3 beers on tap - all with liquid yeasts. I am not that far from Hamley bridge.

I have 8 different liquid yeasts in the fridge - i will give u some to try....

Liquid yeasts are well worth it...

Bring some beers over for tasting.... QA purposes... :rolleyes:

hope to see u soon.

In a word, yes! I won't repeat what others have said but fermentation is damn important in producing a good beer and well worth investing some time in improving.

If you don't try it you will never know :)

thanks guys well i guess that was fairly directional in that all say yes ,well thats what i would have expected so i guess i will give it a go,ill take you up on that offer gmk but ive been unable to get across for your monthly brew meets as somthing seems to always be on that nite.i would like you to try some of my beer to point out where they could be improved ,
cheers
fergi

At the Monk chrissie party today everyone picked the bottle of APA pitched with a (liquid) Saisson yeast and the one pitched with Nottingham.

The Saisson had a complexity and depth of flavor missing from the version pitched with Nottingham (dry) yeast. The Nottingham bottle was drier and much less interesting than the Saisson bottle.

Why was I pitching half an APA batch with Saisson yeast? Because the bloody sachet started swelling in the display fridge!

Jovial Monk

Wreck said:
Some guys on here did a big batch, and split it into three fermenters, each with a different yeast. Anyone remember the post? I think Snow had something to do with it. Anyway, with the only difference between the three being the yeast, they produced three very different beers.

Wreck.
Yeah Snow organised it as part of a Brisbane Brewers get together. The results were amazing - three totally different beers. One got 3rd at the qld comps, and won a silver at the nationals. The other two didn't even rate.

You will find it hard to go back to dry yeast after the liquids. But be warned , there are many different liquids and you will have to find one that you like..

Ill have to say yes too. I recently started using liquid yeasts and I reckon theyre great. I made a weizen with safwheat a while ago and it wasnt a bad beer. But I just brewed another weizen, this time with a liquid and gees it makes a huge difference.

Actually, I found that it was my introduction to Liquid Yeasts that compelled me to go beyond the Coopers Pale / Real Ale / Stout / Lager kits! Once you start down the path, it can have a slippery slope!!

Thank god for liquid yeast!

Cheers,
TL (enjoying a pint of Dunkelweizen)!!

The answer is yes of course
GMK has made a generous offer to you , now you can try a liquid yeast before investing in one yourself.
I am sure Kenny will show you how to build up the starter and pitch your new yeast.
Go for it , you may have to buy some beer related items , but hell he's a nice guy (sort of anyway) <_< :blink:

Don't put the kids on the roof , smash the steps , smoke any thing funny and you should be OK

Batz :ph34r:

Have to agree with everyone here, i started using liquid yeasts when i was a kit brewer, and when i brewed the kits with a kilo of malt, WOW, it started me on the road to all grain beers. It is nowhere near as hard or expensive as it sounds, and it soundls like you will have someone to tell you how its done, so, in a matter of months, you will make startes with your eyes shut. The hardest part is finding a standard yeast ie, one you use for your standard brews, as there are sooo many different strains, and everytime you try a new one, it becomes your new fave!!!!!!!.

Batz said:
The answer is yes of course
GMK has made a generous offer to you , now you can try a liquid yeast before investing in one yourself.
I am sure Kenny will show you how to build up the starter and pitch your new yeast.
Go for it , you may have to buy some beer related items , but hell he's a nice guy (sort of anyway) <_< :blink:

Don't put the kids on the roof , smash the steps , smoke any thing funny and you should be OK

Batz :ph34r:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

HAHAHAHAHA

Thanks very much Batz....

Mery Xmas to you and your Family....

The advantage of liquid is that there is more choice. Most strains can't survive the drying process.

However, many here seem to think liquid is better because it's liquid - this is wrong. Dry is actually the more convenient form for most brewers because of the very high cell count per pack.

Back