Is It Worth Using Polyclar?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPH87

Reaction score
I am about to transfer from fermenter to keg is it worth using polyclar? I have a few mates that recommended using it.

I am about to transfer from fermenter to keg is it worth using polyclar? I have a few mates that recommended using it.

Do you have a chill haze issue with your beer? If not, don't bother. Besides which, you don't want polyclar in your serving keg........blech

It is my first brew of beer, both are ales

What are they recommending it for, to get beer without chill haze or just to get a clear beer i.e. no sediment? If you're just worried about getting clear beer you can whack some gelatine in your keg if it's pouring a bit chewy for your liking :p . You'll just have to leave it a couple of days and toss the first glass or so.

Unless your doing a hefewiezen and have already used something like brewbrite in the boil of an AG, I would

Something seems abit askew there Kev. Thought a hefe would lend itself to a tolerable amount of cloudiness. Anywho,however.....

Would a crash chill help before kegging? There's a few threads here on AHB about crash chilling, or you could go to secondary but I am not a fan of that unless you are an experianced brewer.Infection issues etc.
From my experiance when Ive had a dirty beer Ive left it on the primary / yeast cake for an extra week then chilled it down before transfer to keg. After that, if it tastes good who cares if its a little dirty?
Daz

Unless your doing a hefewiezen and have already used something like brewbrite in the boil of an AG, I would

Something seems abit askew there Kev. Thought a hefe would lend itself to a tolerable amount of cloudiness. Anywho,however.....

Would a crash chill help before kegging? There's a few threads here on AHB about crash chilling, or you could go to secondary but I am not a fan of that unless you are an experianced brewer.Infection issues etc.
From my experiance when Ive had a dirty beer Ive left it on the primary / yeast cake for an extra week then chilled it down before transfer to keg. After that, if it tastes good who cares if its a little dirty?
Daz

Unless your doing a hefewiezen OR have already used something like brewbrite in the boil of an AG, I would

fixed :icon_cheers:

Fair enuf Kev.
Some times I think we worry too much about how clear/clean a beer looks, instead of what it tastes like and if we like it.
Back to OP Question. At this point I still think a good chill for a day or two would help before transfer to keg.
Daz

Besides which, you don't want polyclar in your serving keg........blech
this happened to me the other week. Cold conditioned at 2deg for a few days, Polyclar in the fermenter prior to racking, but the valve on my filter broke so I didn't filter, resulting in Polyclar going in the serving keg (and noticably floating around after force carbing). It took a few days to settle now its clear as day. So if the serving keg isn't going to be moved around I can't see a problem IMHO.

i luv polyclar, 5.2% ag pils, no chill haze. :icon_cheers:

pils.jpg

The main point about polyclar in the keg is that it shouldn't be in the keg. The idea is to use it in cold conditioning beer (as with the instructions) and THEN after settling out, transfer the clear beer off the lees into the keg.

Lurve it as well, but nowadays I use it in the form of BrewBright in the kettle. However if using it as stand-alone Polyclar at cold conditioning time, it should remain in the vessel not the keg, as stated.

red_clear.jpg

Lurve it as well, but nowadays I use it in the form of BrewBright in the kettle.
I have been using brewbright for a while and it is absolutely the ducks nuts. I have been a filterer, now there's no need.

Unfortunately my belgian wit is also very clear, maybe I meant to make a "krystal" or whatever they call it :)

The main point about polyclar in the keg is that it shouldn't be in the keg. The idea is to use it in cold conditioning beer (as with the instructions) and THEN after settling out, transfer the clear beer off the lees into the keg.

Lurve it as well, but nowadays I use it in the form of BrewBright in the kettle. However if using it as stand-alone Polyclar at cold conditioning time, it should remain in the vessel not the keg, as stated.

View attachment 56314

How much you been using and when do you add it?

Been using two teaspoons in a slurry at 10mins to go in the boil and still gettin a bit of chill haze.

i am about to cold condition a LFPA (i just turned the stc to 9 and tomorrow i drop it to 2)

doe this mean i need to drive to craftbrewer tomorrow to get some polyclar

as although i dont care if it's a bit cloudy my guests prefer clear beer....

I find cold condition for 1 week and some time in keg always gives bright clear beer, but I do use kettle finings - whirlfloc.

I find cold condition for 1 week and some time in keg always gives bright clear beer, but I do use kettle finings - whirlfloc.

i normally do that as well, will polyclar make it even brighter / clearer ?

i normally do that as well, will polyclar make it even brighter / clearer ?
Do your beers look hazier when you first pour them compared to when they warm up a bit?
If so, that's chill haze.

Back