Quantcast

is it too soon to bottle

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

duncang1975

Member
Joined
10/3/13
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hi all i did a second brew on the 15th march and it has stopped bubbling already is this normal.

Cheers
 

Lemon

Well-Known Member
Joined
19/10/09
Messages
144
Reaction score
53
Hey Dunc, don't rely on the airlock activity, give it at least a week then take hydrometer readings on successive days to ensure your gravity is stable before bottling.
Lemon
 

duncang1975

Member
Joined
10/3/13
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Dam thats not good.

Im not in a rush to bottle just seems like its not going to well atm but will keep checking it just don't want it to end up a crappy brew thats all

Cheers dragon
 

philmud

Well-Known Member
Joined
20/12/11
Messages
1,420
Reaction score
436
Location
Footscray, Victoria
duncang1975 said:
Hi all i did a second brew on the 15th march and it has stopped bubbling already is this normal.

Cheers
The 15th of March was yesterday - how long has the beer been in the fermenter? If it IS less than 24 hours (doubtful given your OG) then cool your heels and have a beer or ten or however many you'd drink in at least a week, probably two. Even when fermentation is finished your beer will benefit from being left alone as the yeasties will move on to cleaning up some of their crap - someone with more knowledge might mount a more convincing case for leaving your beer alone for longer.
 

duncang1975

Member
Joined
10/3/13
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
I also put some clearing agent in my first home brew last night which has cleared it up wonderfully how long should i wait to bottle that one?
 

philmud

Well-Known Member
Joined
20/12/11
Messages
1,420
Reaction score
436
Location
Footscray, Victoria
duncang1975 said:
I also put some clearing agent in my first home brew last night which has cleared it up wonderfully how long should i wait to bottle that one?
If they were finings, I think the recommendation is at least a couple of days, but I'm not sure it would hurt to bottle sooner if you're happy with the results.

Re your second beer, I'd leave it until at least next weekend. I usually work on 2 weeks in primary unless there's a reason I can't
 

duncang1975

Member
Joined
10/3/13
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Cheers Phil. yeh i will let the 2nd one go till next weekend for sure. very happy with the first one though might hook into the bottling this arvo over a few myself lol
 

duncang1975

Member
Joined
10/3/13
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Yeh same thanks alot for the advise will let you know how it all goes.
 

bum

Not entitled to an opinion
Joined
19/2/09
Messages
11,585
Reaction score
909
Am I reading this correctly? You put finings in the batch last night and want to bottle today?

If the the finings (gelatin most likely) have not completely dropped out they will continue to do so in the bottle creating what are known as "fluffy bottoms". The stuff that drops out won;t make a nice solid sediment but will just loosely collect at the bottom and stir up very easily when you move or pour the bottle which completely goes against the whole point of having used finings in the first place. Patience.

Also, what temp did the second brew ferment at and what was the OG? 3 days (including lag time) seems very fast for a full strength beer to ferment out (especially considering the fact that few brewers have a great handle on pitch rates and oxygenating their brews).
 

Latest posts

Top