Is it possible to grab the yeast from coopers cans???

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

kingdomplantae

Reaction score
Hello as the title states, can I grab the coopers yeast from a can, or is it a different manufacturing process to bottles??
I generally don't drink cans, but I can't walk past those CPA 440ml cans with out grabbing a box...
However I now need to brew up some Coopers yeast and only have 1 tallie and a box of cans....
Will the cans have the sediment????
Thanks for any clarification!

Cheers

Half-baked

Reaction score
From the website, looks like all the ales are naturally conditioned, so as long as not a lager you should be fine.

Having said that, you could just use the tallie and step up the starter (re-culturing from one beer is fine).

Worth noting, it's better to re-culture yeast from beers less than 6% ABV. So if you have a choice, don't use the extra stout...

HB

Vini2ton

Reaction score
I have used the yeast sediment from sparkling ale stubbies many times with outstanding results. I get a six-pack, sanitise around the lid, open, pour the beer into a glass, recap and put in the fridge. When I've drunk all six, I start the step-up process. I've done this with the higher alcohol one (vintage?) with no problems. Easy peezy. The cans wouldn't work with this method. Sanitation is the key yet again.

kingdomplantae

Reaction score
To be honest this has been almost my favourite part of the process @Vini2ton , propagating the coopers yest!
I wonder after your aBove comments, can I now harvest coopers yeast from my tallies rather than harvesting fro. The FV and clean up the trub?

Paleman

Reaction score
Just me but i dont get this reculturing from Coopers beers. Too much effort for no reward. Their dried yeast is pretty damn good and even better dry yeasts out there. I've done it once or twice and cant tell the difference in the same recipes. Back in the day Coopers used Nottingham.

kingdomplantae

Reaction score
Just me but i dont get this reculturing from Coopers beers. Too much effort for no reward. Their dried yeast is pretty damn good and even better dry yeasts out there. I've done it once or twice and cant tell the difference in the same recipes. Back in the day Coopers used Nottingham.
my understanding is that the yeast used in their commercial beers is unavailable otherwise, therefore reculturing coopers yeast from the bottle is needed if trying to get a clone closer to the original.

As well as this point I am doing it because I enjoy the process, am shaving dollars of my brew and as a lot of brewers recommend a yeast starter, reculturing yeast is not really much more hassle

Vini2ton

Reaction score
I reckon it's a cracker of a yeast. It's no problem. I re-use all types of yeast over several gens', even dry. The mauri with their kits, imho, is very different to the bottle yeast. I like the mauri as well. I'm fairly lazy, but the small amount of effort is well worth it for the taste and to see a healthy ferment kick off quickly. Plus it gives me an excuse to buy a sparkling ale six-pack, which is an extravagant pleasure for me.

Latest posts