Is It Ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

googe

Reaction score
Hey all, been ages since ive been on here, got sick of washing bottles and havnt been brewing haha. I put a tooheys lager with 50/50 LDM, dex, down 21 days ago and its gone down to 1014. I opened the lid for a looksie and theres scumy white stuff on the top, looks like the yeast hasnt passed through. Tastes ok and smells ok but not sure weather its spoilt?. Its been sitting between 6-17c the hole time. I was going to bottle it sunday but not sure if its ok?. Im not a fan of this brew but it was free lol. Thanks

Sounds pretty normal to me, if it tastes fine, go ahead and bottle it and you should be fine.

As long as it is smelling and tasting fine at the moment there is no reason to tip it just yet - or at all depending on what "scummy white stuff" means.

Is 6-17c a typo? Should it be 16-17c? If it got down to 6c you've done well to get her down to 1014.

Thanks Wolfy, Thanks bum, no typo unfortunatly lol, its been getting down to 2c in melbourne!, but i just averaged it out to 6c. The white scummy stuff is like the slight scum bubbles i get on any brew but 10 times worse. I ll try post a pic tommorrow. Cheers for the advice fellas.

googe whilst the weather had been getting down to low temperatures does not mean the brew has, assume it is inside and the large thermal mass of the brew means it would only change temperature slowly. Plus the fermentation generates heat.

As for the bottles, all I do with mine is rinse them after I have consumed the contents, then invert them on a stand to dry. Come bottling time I just fill them no additional cleaning. I have not had any problems with the hundreds I have bottled, but what works for me may not work for you.

googe whilst the weather had been getting down to low temperatures does not mean the brew has, assume it is inside and the large thermal mass of the brew means it would only change temperature slowly. Plus the fermentation generates heat.

As for the bottles, all I do with mine is rinse them after I have consumed the contents, then invert them on a stand to dry. Come bottling time I just fill them no additional cleaning. I have not had any problems with the hundreds I have bottled, but what works for me may not work for you.

Thats very true about the thermal mass and fermenting generating heat. Its out in the shed so alot colder than the house, maybe we could say down to 10c as a round figure?. I used to do that with my bottles to but have had some trouble with the last couple of batches so i want to clean everything good this time and see what happens, nappy san works good for me. Cheers

Back