Is It Infected

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi guys well i have just opened up one of my lastest brews which was a grumpys germen lager,now i have already posted on this brew and until about 6 days ago it was really a top tasting lager,well tonite i have cracked one open and to be honest it tastes a little bit weird,slightly gassy ,and with a slight burning sensation,now the reason i havent opened one for 6 days is that i have had a real dose of the flu and to be honest its the worst dose ive ever had.now today feeling a bit on the improve i decided to crack one open..so what i am wondering is it starting to get infected or is it still the sore throat etc from the flu.i had this one lagering for about 6 weeks in the fridge and a couple of weeks fermenting then its been in the bottle for a couple of weeks,i would have thought that if it was going to infect it would have shown up before this time.i previously had a coopers pale ale that i thought was infected after 2 weeks in the bottle but after keeping it a further 4 weeks then trying it again i was amazed to find it had turned into a real nice drop.now is there a period when after bottling that a beer goes through this period when it changes to be not quite what we expect after starting off pretty good.then after the midddle storage time it starts to improve again,just wondering
cheers
fergi

ps it feels good to be in here where we can ask the stupid questions and not get hauled through the hot coals
think ill have another k&k beer :beerbang:

Could be the bottle is infected, my money is on the flu!

Jovial Monk

hope your right jovial this is my first lager done at lager temps and with a lager yeast,i was pretty proud of this one so ive been mouthing off to all the guys down at the bowling club.i was going to take a couple long necks down tomorrow nite for practise.oh well lets hope,i carried out all the usual hygein moves even down to spraying all my benches,hands,canopener,etc.even gave the missus a squirt when she walked through the kitchen""no sense of humor that girl""
cheers

fergi

Fergi, keep the bottles cool & dark & try another one or three in a couple of weeks. The off taste may be your flu, the brew may just need some time, or it may be just one bad bottle.
Glad to see you are not considering pouring them down the sink!

Fergi

Bring a bottle to the next Barossa Brewers Club Meeting - 7.30pm my place on 07 Apr 05...

We can taste it and let you know....
You can also pick up some liquid yeasts from me - and for a couple of gold coin donations to the club we are tasting wheat beers:
- Forbidden Fruit
- Bellevue Kriek
- Bellevue Framboise
- a Lambic WHeat as well - cant think of the name at the moment...

Hope to see you there.

fergi said:
to be honest it tastes a little bit weird,slightly gassy ,and with a slight burning sensation,
[post="51763"][/post]​

Hi Fergi,

Could possibly be a little bit of overcarbonation causing that (burning) sensation too.

One thing I never tried to evaluate after a cold or sore throat was beer. Flavours go a little strange.

Warren -

ok thanks guys for the feedback,i will wait until next week to sample it again,maybe there is still hope for it,just on that theme is there a lenght of time that if your beer is not infected ,say after 2/4/6/8 weeks in the bottle that you know it wont infect anymore or can this still happen say 3/6 months after bottling.no backlane i wont throw it out ill keep them for a few months first just incase they are going through a stage of maturing.then if all else fails ill use them for snail bait in the winter time.GMK as i mentioned before have bowls practice this thursday nite"finals"but next month i will be clear and hope to see you guys then
cheers
fergi

No worries fergi...

Sorry - i thought that was finished - Good Luck in the finals...

Fergi

Most infections are evident in within 4 weeks, but I had one in a beer that only started to show signs after 4 months.

Cheers
Pedro

GMK said:
You can also pick up some liquid yeasts from me - and for a couple of gold coin donations to the club we are tasting wheat beers:
- Forbidden Fruit
- Bellevue Kriek
- Bellevue Framboise

Hope to see you there.
[post="51820"][/post]​

GMK, are you saying that these beers are wheat beers? :blink:

The Lambic Wheat may well be but beers such as FF, Kriek and Framboise are not classed as wheat beers.

Forbidden Fruit is a Belgian Strong Ale and the other two are Fruit Lambics.

Just wanted to clear that up! :party:

C&B
TDA

to be honest it tastes a little bit weird,slightly gassy ,and with a slight burning sensation
Could possibly be a little bit of overcarbonation causing that (burning) sensation too

What fergi observed and Warrren picked up on as the cause is often refered to as a "carbonic bite". The best way to see if the beer is just overcarbonated, (not overcarbonated due to an infection) is to pour some from a height into a jug, wait till the foam has dropped and taste. If the carbonic bite has gone then thats the problem. If the flavour/burning remains, Its probably an infection...... :(

Anyway, what am I doing in here wasting my time on these stupid questions.... must get back to my AG life! :rolleyes: [/Tongue in cheak]

Asher for now

:angry: :angry: :angry:
DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM
INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED

FERGI

fergi said:
:angry: :angry: :angry:
DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM
INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED INFECTED

FERGI
[post="52349"][/post]​
Nice to see you looking on the bright side of things mate :)

opened up another one of my german "infected" lagers today in the hope that the beer fairy would have been in last nite and fixed it for me. NOT SO. BUT I MUST SAY it has got really nice gas,fantastic head and holding power,also nice creamy throth that really hangs to the side of the glass,so i wonder if this is the wild yeast that causes this why cant we get a domesticated type of yeast that will give us these attributes,apart from the taste this is a nice looking beer,and holds the head too for at least 20 mins ,then i poured it down the sink so dont know how long it would have kept head for,anyway ive got a coopers pale ale "sort of " in my fermenter now so wont be long before i can start drinking this one
cheers
fergi

Get into it then Fergi as it will just keep on getting more & more gassy for up to 3 months. Trust me, as a card carring member of the Bottling Brew Brigage this will be the case.

passed the drinking stage

SJW so i guess it will be pour them down the drain so as i can use the long necks for somthing else.
fergi

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
GMK said:
- Forbidden Fruit
- Bellevue Kriek
- Bellevue Framboise

Hope to see you there.
[post="51820"][/post]​

GMK, are you saying that these beers are wheat beers? :blink:

The Lambic Wheat may well be but beers such as FF, Kriek and Framboise are not classed as wheat beers.

Forbidden Fruit is a Belgian Strong Ale and the other two are Fruit Lambics.

Just wanted to clear that up! :party:

C&B
TDA
[post="51861"][/post]​
Whilst forbidden fruit is a Belgian strong ale it is also made with a large portion of wheat so technically speaking it could be called a "wheat beer".
All Lambics are made with large portions of wheat, so they are all technically speaking "wheat beers"... this includes the framboise and the kriek, although lambics are generally not what people think of when thinking wheat beers and as you say they are not really classed as such.

fergi said:
nice gas,fantastic head and holding power,also nice creamy throth that really hangs to the side of the glass,so i wonder if this is the wild yeast that causes this why cant we get a domesticated type of yeast that will give us these attributes,
[post="52431"][/post]​

Fergi

Wild yeast and some bacteria can convert your unfermented sugars to alcohol. The wild yeast can be tamed, but without genetic manipulation, then it will still have that funky taste. GM of yeast leads to lots of other issues. :excl:

Cheers
Pedro

Fergi - don't throw it out, unless you REALLY need the space or the bottles. You've already done all the work so it doesn't cost much to keep it around. If nothing else it's interesting to see how these things develop over time.

Is there any sign of scum around the neck?! That is usually a pretty good indicator of infection. You might just have had an underattenuated brew that has been kick-started by priming. You might even have an interesting lambic...

Maybe just keep them in the garage so they won't kill anyone if they become bottlebombs...

well you have me wondering now wort games,when i opened one that had been out in the shed and was pretty warm,it gushed out all over the place for about a minute,so then i open one that is in my brew fridge and although very gassy,this is the one in my previous thread,it didnt jump out of the bottle.so what do you think i should do wi6th them.if i keep them too long they may start exploding in my fridge,now that would not be nice,or do i toss them.i might take cap off a couple and let them vent some of the c02 and then recap.i could then keep them for a few months to see what happens,i dont think they willget any better as i have drank about 6 bottles and they were really nice although just a bit green.but after a week without touching them thats when they went off.thinking about it i reckon the infection could have come about by one careless mistake,i took the primary fermenter out of the fridge and run the brew into my secondry,as i was doing this i put a yellow chux over the opening of my secondry to keep out any dust as i was doing the transfer in my shed,.however half way through it the chux dropped into my secondry and although i grabbed it out straight away it was in there long enough for me to think at the time that it may cause a problem with infection.anyway after i moved on in the process and then bottled it ,after i tried the first one and thought how nice it was for my first lager i forgot all about the possibilities of an infection ,that is until the last few days when the beer is definately now very unpleasant to drink and also after a few mouthfulls gives that burping feeling and burning in the chest,anyway thats whats happened im sure
cheers
ps no scum around the inside of the necks
fergi

Back