Is it dead?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I deleted it because I realised referencing to a site that's spruiking a product isn't the greatest idea
I Got caught up in internet argument nonsense...
I personally ferment cider in 5 litre batches in a demijohn so I use a airlock
I'm looking at doing some 23 litre batches soon as I've just acquired 3 more kegs so I'll do some experimentation with airlocks and with gladwrap
Might even try to obtain/borrow some equipment to test oxygen levels

The internet is an argumentative place.

I shall edit mine in solidarity.

FWIW, I ferment meads in glass (5l mostly but one 25l) and my ciders in old kegs. I'm about to invest in some stainless to replace my glass and let me move up to larger batches.

Peace brewing brother. Bay your airlock ever blurple and your glad wrap never split.

Cheers
Dave

TK1 said:
Will report back in a few weeks on how it turned out :chug:

Regards,
Darren
No, don't do that.......you'll be reporting that it's not real good. Report back in about 6-8 weeks on it, where you'll most likely say......"I had nothing to be worried about".

:D

The whole thing about home brewing is it's a very simple thing. It's also a very relaxing thing if you let it be.

Welcome to the second best hobby out there.

Martin

I tried the glad wrap thing but found my wort was very quickly contaminated with curious cat. Luckily the cat was able to scramble her way out and didn't drown but I'm afraid the beer didn't make it.

ro55c0 said:
I tried the glad wrap thing but found my wort was very quickly contaminated with curious cat. Luckily the cat was able to scramble her way out and didn't drown but I'm afraid the beer didn't make it.

That's the trouble with beer, it's just a pussy magnet.

HBHB said:
Welcome to the second best hobby out there.

Martin
Now you got me thinking... "whats the first?" You mean I could be missing out on something and you're only just telling me?!!!

HBHB said:
That's the trouble with beer, it's just a pussy magnet.
SNAP!!!

Hi again,

Thanks all. Nothing like a simple question on the internet to stir up a vigorous debate. My first one so it keeps the airlock, I'll leave it in the fermenter for a few weeks and then bottle condition for a couple of months. Might even be warm enough in Melbourne to enjoy it by then!

Checked the SG and it's going down, temp is constant and some condensation so obviously something is happening. I'll calm down a bit and wait it out.

Krausen - thanks for the tips on the Mangrove Jacks kit. I'll give it a go with some pear juice next time. Pretty sure the wife will drink it regardless once it's done (she took a swig out of the hydrometer flask and declared it tasty, so whatever the end result can't be worse!).

Regards,
Darren

TK1 said:
Hi again,

Krausen - thanks for the tips on the Mangrove Jacks kit. I'll give it a go with some pear juice next time. Pretty sure the wife will drink it regardless once it's done (she took a swig out of the hydrometer flask and declared it tasty, so whatever the end result can't be worse!).
Regards,
Darren
At this stage it will still be plenty sweet. Once its finished it could be too dry....

I could make a dry in cider joke but I won't.

Cheers
Dave

MrTwalky said:
Now you got me thinking... "whats the first?" You mean I could be missing out on something and you're only just telling me?!!!
Fly Fishing :ph34r: ....... even more accessories and bling than brewing (believe it or not)

:blink:

HBHB said:
Fly Fishing :ph34r: ....... even more accessories and bling than brewing (believe it or not)

:blink:
I have managed to combine both Fly Fishing and Brewing for the past 16 years.
You are quite right about the accessories and bling. There is always something new to buy in both hobbies.

Latest posts

Back